Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Ok so here is the deal. I have been flashing jelly bean ROMs here off and on for the past month and don't get me wrong I'm really loving jelly bean on my Verizon S3. However, I have found that my battery life on all of them has been pretty poor. I am currently not in a 4G area but I still have good coverage. I keep my phone on lowest brightness and sometimes use powersave. I really just want to know if anyone is getting good battery life on a certain ROM or ROM/kernel setup that I could try. Also if you have any other tips I am open to anything.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Try the ktoonsez kernel with CM10 M1. I get very good life with that. Sorry i'm at work and can't link but it comes up in a google search. You can set the I/O scheduler, CPU Governor to conservative, and underclock the processor which all will save you on batt life. I also get no drain at all when in deep sleep. It's nice. I use my phone HEAVILY all day (reddit, browsing, music, streaming podcasts, books on tape, etc...) and can go from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm without plugging it in. I really don't even have to plug it in at night but I do anyway.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender326 View Post
    Try the ktoonsez kernel with CM10 M1. I get very good life with that. Sorry i'm at work and can't link but it comes up in a google search. You can set the I/O scheduler, CPU Governor to conservative, and underclock the processor which all will save you on batt life. I also get no drain at all when in deep sleep. It's nice. I use my phone HEAVILY all day (reddit, browsing, music, streaming podcasts, books on tape, etc...) and can go from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm without plugging it in. I really don't even have to plug it in at night but I do anyway.
    I'll have to check it out I'm sure I can find the kernel over at xda thanks!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender326 View Post
    Try the ktoonsez kernel with CM10 M1. I get very good life with that. Sorry i'm at work and can't link but it comes up in a google search. You can set the I/O scheduler, CPU Governor to conservative, and underclock the processor which all will save you on batt life. I also get no drain at all when in deep sleep. It's nice. I use my phone HEAVILY all day (reddit, browsing, music, streaming podcasts, books on tape, etc...) and can go from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm without plugging it in. I really don't even have to plug it in at night but I do anyway.
    Well I upgraded to M1 but ive never flashed a kernel before and I think I need to read a bit more, but the info out about it is truly weak and not very reassuring.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    If you have the baseband ending in G7 you won't be able to flash ktoonz kernel. I tried it last night over my M1 build and it just hung on boot.
    Mine says G1?....I'm a total noob when it comes to kernels could I still use this kernel?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by jlibis; 09-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlibis View Post
    Mine says G1?....I'm a total noob when it comes to kernels could I still use this kernel?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

    Head on over to Rootzwiki and flash the LeanKernel for JB beta. Believe it is v16. I am getting absolutely fantastic battery life on the latest CM Nightly. You shouldnt have any trouble with CM10 M1. Just download the zip and flash it in Recovery as you would any ROM. Then wipe your cache and Davlik and reboot. Good to go. Enjoy!
    Thanked by:
    jlibis 
    creccaj1 likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    I am running AOKP B3 with LK 0.9.1 which has been solid for me. .9.1 because I saw a couple people over a Rootz say that it has been one of the better releases.
    jlibis likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender326 View Post
    Head on over to Rootzwiki and flash the LeanKernel for JB beta. Believe it is v16. I am getting absolutely fantastic battery life on the latest CM Nightly. You shouldnt have any trouble with CM10 M1. Just download the zip and flash it in Recovery as you would any ROM. Then wipe your cache and Davlik and reboot. Good to go. Enjoy!
    Sweet I'll try it out after I'm done at the gym thanks

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Can one of you link me to lean kernel I cant find it anywhere for Verizon g3 running job?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlibis View Post
    Can one of you link me to lean kernel I cant find it anywhere for Verizon g3 running job?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Nvm found it

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post


    I am running AOKP B3 with Lean Kernel .0.9.1 and its been rock solid for speed and battery life. Would highly recommend this combo.
    Just flashed lean kernel successfully thanks for all the help both of you!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Oh forgot to ask are there special settings I need to run for this?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlibis View Post
    Oh forgot to ask are there special settings I need to run for this?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    I just use SetCPU to tweak the setting.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    I just use SetCPU to tweak the setting.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    So far I'm noticing an insanely fast charge....I'm listening to slacker while its plugged in and it is cruising

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlibis View Post
    So far I'm noticing an insanely fast charge....I'm listening to slacker while its plugged in and it is cruising

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

    Did you set the fast charge yet? Open up terminal emulator and type ffc. Voila you can now charge w/ USB at 1 amp instead of .5. Awesome for in the car. My dock actually outpaces Waze, and Poweramp w/ data and GPS enabled.
    Thanked by:
    jlibis 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender326 View Post
    Did you set the fast charge yet? Open up terminal emulator and type ffc. Voila you can now charge w/ USB at 1 amp instead of .5. Awesome for in the car. My dock actually outpaces Waze, and Poweramp w/ data and GPS enabled.
    Just did thanks.....battery life is improved a good amount. I'm at 15 percent left with almost 17 hours and 3 on screen...better then the 8 hours I was getting on stock CM kernel

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Honestly so grateful for this kernel and ROM combo can't thank these devs enough! Check it out!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?-uploadfromtaptalk1348774591774.jpg   Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?-uploadfromtaptalk1348774604595.jpg  
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Yep! Its great.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    I downloaded the latest kernel from the link above and I installed cm10 m2 and tried to flash the kernel. It doesn't work at all. When. I Start the phone it just shows a black screen after the Samsung screen. The hotkeys still stay lit. What am I doing wrong?am I using the wrong kernel?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by roilciuc View Post
    I downloaded the latest kernel from the link above and I installed cm10 m2 and tried to flash the kernel. It doesn't work at all. When. I Start the phone it just shows a black screen after the Samsung screen. The hotkeys still stay lit. What am I doing wrong?am I using the wrong kernel?
    Yes that kernel version is way too old. I recommend downloading the newest kernel from him on rootswiki and flashing cm10 10.0 the stable build. It is what I am currently running and it has become more stable the longer ive used it

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    jlibis's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 M1

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    Quote Originally Posted by roilciuc View Post
    I downloaded the latest kernel from the link above and I installed cm10 m2 and tried to flash the kernel. It doesn't work at all. When. I Start the phone it just shows a black screen after the Samsung screen. The hotkeys still stay lit. What am I doing wrong?am I using the wrong kernel?
    Oh wait you said latest?....what kernel version did you install?....certain kernels won't work with certain ROMs if they are too old/new

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

    so here is what I have installed. I just took a shot of my about phone section. The kernel I installed is named lk_aosp_jb_vzw-v1.10 [IMG]javascript:void(0);[/IMG]
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Best JellyBean ROM and kernel setup for battery life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Combo of JB Rom & Kernel for Battery Life
    By michael styles in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 01:11 AM
  2. Best ROM and Kernel combo for battery life?
    By rosser in forum Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  3. Best Setup for Battery Life?
    By rosser in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 08:54 AM
  4. roms and kernels make bad battery life.
    By badhabits727 in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  5. naming of rom and kernel zips for flashing
    By riceje7 in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

B