[ROM] AOKP Jelly Bean for Verizon GS3

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
any huge improvements? I'm on B3 and have been enjoying the ROM, and I kind of don't want to have to clean flash again...

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
any huge improvements? I'm on B3 and have been enjoying the ROM, and I kind of don't want to have to clean flash again...

I am getting slightly better performance which makes me more than willing to clean flash. Aside from that, not much has been added.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Build 4 running fine so far after a dirty flash from build 3. I'm also running LeanKernel 1.0, which I flashed after letting build 4 boot up first. My personal experience is that I've had more problems when flashing a ROM and kernel together.

There's a changelog for build 4 on aokp.co.

Sent from my SGSIII

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Build 4 running fine so far after a dirty flash from build 3. I'm also running LeanKernel 1.0, which I flashed after letting build 4 boot up first. My personal experience is that I've had more problems when flashing a ROM and kernel together.

There's a changelog for build 4 on aokp.co.

Sent from my SGSIII

I didn't flash it at the same time, I too have always had issues when doing that. I flashed B4, let it boot and then flashed LK. What I think might have done it was I forgot to uncheck run at boot for kernel settings. Either way I am up and running fine so no biggie lol.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Still have the data glitch that I've seen with all CM-based ROMs, where if I reboot the phone while in 3G-only mode, I won't have a data connection (even through the status bar shows a 3G connection). The 3G connection does start working after I connect to wifi or LTE, and then switch back to 3G.

Saw in a thread on RW that that the CM team has a proposed RIL fix that may address this issue.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
For me: the Build 4 is noticeably different and I had some problems with the Quick Reply in B3 and that's completely fixed. The graphics are smooth. And everything seems to be fine with me. My battery still drains like crazy though...my phone reports it being the screen but I am unsure.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am on B3 and have no real complaints. Custom ringtones work and there are no lag issues or anything. Everything has been fairly smooth for me. The only problem I have noticed is that if I download a ringtone from Zedge or download one from an attached email I sent to myself, it will not play in the preview or show up as being able to use. However if I add it via USB connected to my PC it works just fine. Battery is pretty good for me. I can go from 7:00AM to 10:30PM before it warns me it is low. That is with moderate use during the day at work too.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Been using b4 for two days now and running well for me. Can confirm that the graphics glitches appear to have been fixed. No need in b4 to select the Disable HW overlay option to keep the screen from flashing.

Sent from my SGSIII

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For me: the Build 4 is noticeably different and I had some problems with the Quick Reply in B3 and that's completely fixed. The graphics are smooth. And everything seems to be fine with me. My battery still drains like crazy though...my phone reports it being the screen but I am unsure.

From my experiences using AOSP based ROMs battery life has been poor without using a custom kernel. I highly recommend lean kernel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
From my experiences using AOSP based ROMs battery life has been poor without using a custom kernel. I highly recommend lean kernel.

On the contrary, when I was running CM10 on my Nexus the battery life was just as good as running a custom kernel. I can't say the same sadly for the GS3. A lot of factors are thrown into the mix when judging battery life and even user factors/expectations. Personally I find 12h of battery life terrible, but other may find that amazingly good. All personal preference.

With AOKP B4 and Lean Kernel V1, I got 1D, 10H of Battery with about an hour and a half of screen on time.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, when I was running CM10 on my Nexus the battery life was just as good as running a custom kernel. I can't say the same sadly for the GS3. A lot of factors are thrown into the mix when judging battery life and even user factors/expectations. Personally I find 12h of battery life terrible, but other may find that amazingly good. All personal preference.

With AOKP B4 and Lean Kernel V1, I got 1D, 10H of Battery with about an hour and a half of screen on time.

Man I wish I would like AOKP better...there are certain things I just hate about that ROM. I really want to check out liquid smooth or baked ROM but they look super buggy ATM. Wanna be a test subject? Lol

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Man I wish I would like AOKP better...there are certain things I just hate about that ROM. I really want to check out liquid smooth or baked ROM but they look super buggy ATM. Wanna be a test subject? Lol

I will refuse to flash Liquid due to many factors :).

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Lol what factors

I use to love their ROM on the GNex until I kept getting error messages saying that I had no SIM card in my phone and it came down to it that the ROM was the only thing causing my issues. Flashed many other ROMs and that was the only one that caused the issues. On top of that, they basically are the same thing as AOKP/CM10. They just merge certain aspects together for their ROM and call it unique. Just my personal opinion, but I like the purest form of a ROM which in this case would either be straight CM10 or AOKP.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
on B4, GoLauncher seems to be a bit choppy in the app drawer. I did however, restore apps using TiB with data going from B3 to B4. I did do a clean flash tho. are you guys experiencing anything similar? I've tried clearing out the data on golauncher and rebooting a few times, but it doesn't seem to help. first time I'm noticing this with goLauncher

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
on B4, GoLauncher seems to be a bit choppy in the app drawer. I did however, restore apps using TiB with data going from B3 to B4. I did do a clean flash tho. are you guys experiencing anything similar? I've tried clearing out the data on golauncher and rebooting a few times, but it doesn't seem to help. first time I'm noticing this with goLauncher

I would recommend that you use Nova launcher. Nova is based of ICS and JB now so it will run smoother.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend that you use Nova launcher. Nova is based of ICS and JB now so it will run smoother.

I use Nova Launcher as well and no lag or choppiness.

Also flashed the RIL fix for build 4 a couple of hours ago. Still too soon to say whether it improves data, but it doesn't seem to have made things worse.

Sent from my SGSIII

ashyj86

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi i am new to this flashing of rom thing. I would really love to get JB on my s3. I think i have basic idea what i need to do to flash it on my phone. I am on verizon and want to flash AOKP build 4 on my phone.

Can you give me a water run down from start to finish to help me flash and also i would like to go back to stock rom once verizon officially releases JB. So what steps can i take to go back to stock in future ?

Sorry if i sound like a rookie just trying to learn the big boys programs ;)