Cyanogenmod 10 update

guitarbite747

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the Verizon gs3 and I am running what I think is the latest cm10. I was just wondering if there is a convenient way to find out what the latest version is when they come out,because I love the ROM but there are a few annoying bugs

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I really wouldn't recommend using the CM update feature. This may be my old school ways but they usually never fail me. Something about allow a program to flash an OS for you doesn't seem right to me and could cause more headaches than its worth. I would recommend that you download the newest version via the website above, place it on your SD Card and manually enter recovery and flash the ROM yourself. If you don't know what to do, check out my flashing guide... there is a link in my signature.

guitarbite747

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much. I do know how to flash and the built in updater just seemed really convenient I'm just not sure if it is bad for the phone. It doesn't loose settings so is it dirty flashing? Or is it doing what manufacturers do with their OTA updates
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
A dirty flash is when you wipe the cache/dalvik only. Please don't be foolish and not wipe those 2 things, unless you're into force closes and lockups.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It is dirty flashing. I've read (posted by one of the CM10 developers) that wiping anything when upgrading to a newer version of the same ROM you're already on is a waste of time.

https://plus.google.com/115049428938715274412/posts/HxPFHBQJdTL

Wouldn't trust this for my life. Nothing against the CM updater but when you dirty flash a ROM you ALWAYS should wipe cache/dalvik. While it may be a step that doesn't make a huge difference between going between nightlies but again what could it hurt? Wipping cache and dalvik takes 2 minutes.

If you go from a Nightly to a M build, that is when I would say do a clean flash (wiping data and system as well as both caches).