Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmmarck
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help needed Rooted and trying to go back to stock.

I had rooted my phone mainly to be able to turn GPS and bluetooth on with NFC. I really don't have a big interest in loading a half baked ROM even if it is JellyBean. So in anticipation of the official Jelly bean release I tried to unroot my phone and download the latest OTA update from verizon. I know it is not Jelly bean yet but I thought I could just unroot with RootKeeper and then update and reroot. That failed on the install step so I did a factory reset and did the same thing. This failed as well with the following:

ClockworkMod Recovery v5.8.4.9
    E: Invalid command argument
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E: failed to very whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

Now the only other thing that I had done is screw around with trying to get google wallet to work. All that I did was move the apk file into system/data. Could this have caused this?

Is there anyway back to stock or is the only way forward is to flash a rom?

Default Re: Help needed Rooted and trying to go back to stock.

Use section 6.

Another 'trick' I've discovered- if you backup your rooted/stock device, than immediately recover the backup you just made, its resets your recovery back to stock opposed to CWM (just select 'No' after restoring/rebooting when asked if you want to keep custom recovery). Having a custom recovery prior to taking an OTA could cause problems. Make sure any bloat you've frozen is defrosted, take the OTA like you normally would, that reroot with debug's tool afterwards. I literally just did this an hour or so ago and will do the same when the mythical unicorn that is Jellybean descends from the heavens so I don't have to reorganize crap with Titanium Backup when all is said and done.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Use the restore guide in our stickies above.
    ....Or he could follow the link I provided.

Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    ....Or he could follow the link I provided.

The problem with using guides not found here is troubleshooting them. We take a lot of pride in being able to provide the best support possible. That means when someone screws up in following something--and it always happens--we're able to right their wrongs easily and effectively because we have personally created and vouched for the material.

Using external sources does not allow for that; while they may get support there, they are asking here and thus it behooves us to aid in any way possible.

Plus, like I said above, we take a lot of pride in our work, and I'd personally put our stuff against anything out there .

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    The problem with using guides not found here is troubleshooting them. We take a lot of pride in being able to provide the best support possible. That means when someone screws up in following something--and it always happens--we're able to right their wrongs easily and effectively because we have personally created and vouched for the material.

Using external sources does not allow for that; while they may get support there, they are asking here and thus it behooves us to aid in any way possible.

Plus, like I said above, we take a lot of pride in our work, and I'd personally put our stuff against anything out there .
    And that's you prerogative, but, the OP asked for help and I pointed him in the direction of a process that I personally have used and know works. You can be prideful without being supercilious and poo-pooing any recommendation outside your own conception. You feelings towards XDA shouldn't constrict the work done there from being shared.

Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

And that's you prerogative, but, the OP asked for help and I pointed him in the direction of a process that I personally have used and know works. You can be prideful without being supercilious and poo-pooing any recommendation outside your own conception. You feelings towards XDA shouldn't constrict the work done there from being shared.

It has nothing to do with my feelings towards XDA, but rather, it concerns me knowing the quality of material that we put out and the fact that we have a dedicated staff that really endeavors to create the best material out there.

What's great is that the OP has two resources by which they can compare, contrast, and find the best information possible with several folks having experience utilizing them.
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.

I feel that you missed the point that Dmmarck was attempting to make. While we aren't discrediting what XDA has done, we are trying to promote the use of the resources here. By doing that, we can help ensure that we can provide the best possible help to our users. If someone follows the guide over on XDA or any other site for that matter we can't testify the results nor the process being used. The reason that we are trying to promote users to following our own guides here is so we can provide the help knowing the process since those of use who put out these guides have actually followed the processes and have done the process multiple times.

I have nothing wrong with XDA and I have used their resources many times, that being said as a community we try to help out users with our own resources before pointing them somewhere else.