Is a custom Kernel even worth it?

Rflor31

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got an extended battery for my S3 and with all this extra power I wanted to do some tweaking with the CPU which is currently running of AOKP Milestone 1 1.6 ghz. I've seen so many Kernels out there and wanted to know if it's even worth trying. I'm trying to maximize performance without adverse effects which is understandably what every user wants but what kind of kernels are you guys using if you are using any? Is over/under clocking even beneficial anymore?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I suppose the difference you would notice is relative to the kernel you are currently running. Some ROMs come with a modified kernel that allows for better CPU control or has battery-saving tweaks already included.

I use Lean Kernel and I do find the battery life to be better in general, it has better automatic display control (you know how much display is a factor with battery, I imagine), and allows for easy updating of the kernel through CLI tools.

I don't see a benefit in overclocking with this device at this time. It makes a much greater impact with less powerful devices, though.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't see a benefit in overclocking with this device at this time. It makes a much greater impact with less powerful devices, though.

I couldn't agree more... To me over clocking on today's high end phones is just silly and not worth the risk... These phones are plenty fast...

Sent from my GS3....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci