1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upgrading Cleanrom 4.0 to 4.5?

Ok got my gs3 running cleanrom 4.0 and set up like I like it and bam here we have 4.5 come out. I want to flash 4.5 but don't want to go through the pain of getting everything like I like it again. I've read guides telling me to use TB and I have but it seems like I read different things on just what is best to back up and restore. So my question is what is the best way to flash the new rom and then restore my phone back to how it is now?

Default Re: Upgrading Cleanrom 4.0 to 4.5?

Quote Originally Posted by RLLangley View Post
    Ok got my gs3 running cleanrom 4.0 and set up like I like it and bam here we have 4.5 come out. I want to flash 4.5 but don't want to go through the pain of getting everything like I like it again. I've read guides telling me to use TB and I have but it seems like I read different things on just what is best to back up and restore. So my question is what is the best way to flash the new rom and then restore my phone back to how it is now?
    Use Titanium to back up your apps. It works fine. You can dirty flash (no data wipe) 4.5 onto.4.0 and not lose any data but it's not recommended. Some have good luck doing that and others have some issues. I always wipe/factory reset before every ROM flash and I don't have any problems with CleanROM. Have done this since version 1.2. I also use Nova Launcher it allows your screens to be backed up as well. Helps save a bunch of time if you have allot of screens and icons.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Steve

Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the tips. Figured this was the answer.

Your welcome.
    Steve

I just dirty flashed. Wiped dalvik cache,cache, flash rpm,modem, then clean rom 4.5. ... That worked for Me. No issues at all. Just remember IDF you use kinda crap moods the lock icon will return and you will have to go to the clean rom 3.5ule thread typo get find a zip to remove IRT.

This is the worst part about changing ROMs, IMO.

For what it's worth, I did "dirty flash" from 4.0 to 4.5 with no real issues that I've discovered yet, but always be sure to take a NANDROID backup just in case you have to go back!

For general tips on how to speed up the restore period after having to do a ROM install with a data wipe:

1. Check out Nova launcher (or Apex). It runs very smooth on the S3, has a lot of great configuration options over the standard TW launcher, and you can backup/restore your configurations to SD card, which is a huge time saver when loading new ROMs, and the #1 reason I run Nova over TW launcher.
    *(When installing CR, you do have an option to load Nova instead of the TW launcher, however I don't recommend that unless you're sure of what you're doing. If you don't load the TW launcher by default when installing the ROM, you may lose additional features that you want. Simply install Nova over the TW launcher afterwards).

2. Titanium Backup. Use this to backup all USER apps. I recommend hitting the Play store and running any updates you need before making your backup. When restoring, I prefer to use the option to let Google backup and restore my account, so that most of my apps are automatically re-loaded when I first logon after a new ROM flash. I then use TiBU to restore any missing apps once Google Play store has finished installing. Unless absolutely necessary, restore apps only, do not restore data.

3. MyBackup. There are several apps you can use to do this, but I find MyBackup works pretty well for backup and restore of SMS/MMS messages, as well as personal dictionaries. Remember that contacts and calendar are automatically synced with Gmail, so don't bother with stuff like that unless you have a reason to.

This is how I do it. Between the time it takes Google Play to install my apps, the time to run restore on my missing apps, SMS and launcher settings, as well as little tweaks like signing into apps and setting notifications, etc...I can usually get through a ROM install in just under an hour.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    GS3&Razr(stck)Rznd(CR4.5)

Just a heads up. Scott just posted stock leak #3. He stated he will be updating CleanRom in a day or two. The guy is awesome for all the work he does.

I think the only thing 4.5 is missing is the blocking mode.... So l be staying on 4.5 until the official release hits... It's working fine for me the way it is

Sent from my GS3....

I agree. I am staying on 4.5 until the official comes out as well.

ROM
    CleanRom 5.0

Same here, CleanROM has been pretty solid for me, the only thing I miss about being on AOKP or CM10 is the lock screen for Slacker Radio, and Apollo Music only seems to work on CM although it's now available for everyone in the Market, had some wonky things happen when using Apollo on CleanRom. Music playback and lock screens for the music player is huge for me...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hotweelz View Post
    Just a heads up. Scott just posted stock leak #3. He stated he will be updating CleanRom in a day or two. The guy is awesome for all the work he does.
    CleanROMS 5.0 and 4 (lite) are up. Both run great give one or both a try .
    Steve