Titanium Backup - flashable restore zips

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
so I tried posting this in the app forum, but no luck there, so I figured I'd try with my S3 flashaholic brethren...

has anyone tried creating a flashable restore zip of your apps and data and actually flashed it in recovery to restore their apps? I've tried it on a few different roms and some apps work fine, but others automatically force close when I try and launch them. when I do an app restore with data from Titanium backup it works fine, but not when I use the flashable zip in recovery.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
so I tried posting this in the app forum, but no luck there, so I figured I'd try with my S3 flashaholic brethren...

has anyone tried creating a flashable restore zip of your apps and data and actually flashed it in recovery to restore their apps? I've tried it on a few different roms and some apps work fine, but others automatically force close when I try and launch them. when I do an app restore with data from Titanium backup it works fine, but not when I use the flashable zip in recovery.

I've never tried, but this is almost bound to fail. It's really not recommended to restore data anyway, and you're really asking for trouble if you're trying to do this for ALL your apps. Seems like the type of option that is there for very specific scenarios....

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
hmmm... I've always restored app data and it's never been a problem for me. I know a couple of apps don't seem to like it, esp the ones that do notifications, like groupon, facebook, words with friends, dropbox. I need to save my progress with angry birds somehow!

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
It didn't work for me. In the middle of the flash my phone auto-rebooted.

Swing and a miss. I'll stick to the trusty old method.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The first time I did it, it installed all the apps but not data from apps. The second time it rebooted during the flash process.

Sent from a Nexus Galaxy far away...

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I used TWRP to flash it in zip queue and the apps all flashed fine but none of the data was restored so I still had to run Titanium manually after set up anyway.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
hmmm... I've always restored app data and it's never been a problem for me. I know a couple of apps don't seem to like it, esp the ones that do notifications, like groupon, facebook, words with friends, dropbox. I need to save my progress with angry birds somehow!

Angry Birds is a great example of an app where you may need to restore the data -- however, in general restoring data should be avoided unless necessary. Trust me, it will save you headaches later!

chadderbox

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Angry Birds is a great example of an app where you may need to restore the data -- however, in general restoring data should be avoided unless necessary. Trust me, it will save you headaches later!

Agree as it worked for me once, and the second time created all sorts of issues. It wasn't even like I was going from one rom to another, just flashing a newer build of the same and I ended up starting from scratch again.