1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is ROM Manager still good?

Over been rooted for awhile and thinking of trying out Cyanogen 10. I haven't yet installed CWM or any custom ROMs on my S3.

However back in the day I was running my EVO 4G with CM7 and using ROM Manager as my software to backup, recover and flash.

Is that still the way I would want to go, or are there new, better ways? Looking mostly for ease of use, but haven't kept up on the flashing scene lately.

Default Re: Is ROM Manager still good?

Do a search for rooting in the forums. There are complete steps. You can still use cwm ROM manager but the process is a little different. I came from a thunderbolt and almost bricked my phone. The developers here are awesome and have worked out multiple ways to root and flash.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I still use it specifically for flashing CWM. Saves time, especially if you already own it.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

No. Simple answer. I have heard (and helped) to many that have bricked their phones because of ROM Manager. If you must use ROM Manager the only thing that I would say you could do with ROM Manager is flash the newest CWM Recovery. Even then I wouldn't do personally because I prefer TWRP. Don't want to turn this into a debate, just adding my 2 cents but my opinion remains the same and will always. If you can avoid ROM Manager, do it.

ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    No. Simple answer. I have heard (and helped) to many that have bricked their phones because of ROM Manager. If you must use ROM Manager the only thing that I would say you could do with ROM Manager is flash the newest CWM Recovery. Even then I wouldn't do personally because I prefer TWRP. Don't want to turn this into a debate, just adding my 2 cents but my opinion remains the same and will always. If you can avoid ROM Manager, do it.
    I use TWRP as well, and I think that IMO it's not better not saying their is anything wrong with ROM manager but like he said if you can use TWRP...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Documentary's and Educational Videos you think everyone should see.
    (Last Updated June,2,2013)
    Thread Retired
    Current Android Devices:HTC one,2013 Nexus 7
    Past Android Devices:Xperia Play,Droid Pro,2012 Nexus 7
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks guys. Sounds like TWRP us the way to go. Now to do some research on ROMs and what I'll lose it gain by switching to a non-Touchwiz one. Don't really want to lose burst mode for the camera and a coupler other things so might just find a jellybean based Touchwiz one.
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I would avoid ROM Manager altogether. I've not had any problems at all with CWM recovery on this device, but ROM Manager has ruined quite a few Android devices or put lazy people in a much more uncomfortable place trying to fix a real issue that it created. The developers are not supportive and that's not cool when you're paying for an app that they advertise as compatible with any Android device.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.