Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ROMs assessment(a noobs diary)

So I've been on Android for a few months for the first time ever. Thinking I was a pro from jail breaking I dove into rooting and ROMs. Dear lord I was ready for how much harder and dangerous it was from JB. I ended up bricking my first gs3 after installing the wrong modem. I am ever so cautious and watchful now. I have tried Cyanogen CM10,Synergy and Clean on so far. Here's what I got. I love the features in CM10.the new UI sound replaces the annoying bloop, the pop up for messenger the in depth menus on performance and the holo Lockscreen with zero lag when using. As for battery life and did not notice much difference. I am now on Synergy with its amazing battery life and TW features such as, pop up browser, smart rotation(which hasn't worked for me yet) and the plus of Kies air working to dominate my SD card with tunes. The down of Synergy is its pretty much ICS cosmetically. I would love the added features of CM10 with the integration of TW and battery life of Synergy.

If anyone knows of such a magical myth of a ROM please let me know. I still have a few more devices to brick before I give up haha. Thanks again for all who respond. Coming from iOS I love android forums
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: ROMs assessment(a noobs diary)

Forgive my bad Grammer and sentence structures. I am a touring musician and am living off of no sleep and monster rehabs:-)

The 'bloop' can be turned off in settings>sound>system>touch tones, for message pop-ups try using a third party messenger like Handcent or GO (these both support it), and if you like the JB lockscreen get WidgetLocker. That's had the JB style lockscreen since the Gingerbread days.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you for the info fellow traveler

Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I haven't tried either just yet, but JellyWiz and SmoothROM both offer hybrid featuresets. They may have what you seek.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you, I'll definitely check those out!

U should check out jellybeans b3 ROM. It will b just what ur looking for. However keep n mind i have found a few bugs. I have fixed them because I fell love with the ROM itself. Just check out thread on it and try it out. I'm a fellow jail breaker myself and I was n for a real surprise when it came to rooting and romming. Lol. I can walk u through unbricking that device too.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thank you jdub you mighta just nailed it for you. Def gonna check it out. For real bro, rooting is waaaaay more complicated than jail breaking haha

Hey there. You do know that if you're running Synergy's revision 118, the latest one, you're running Jelly Bean. It's based on the latest leak.

The last ICS revision was 73. Is that what you're running? Everything after that has been JB.

I'm wondering if the "cosmetic" issue you have has more to do with Samsung's TouchWiz than the OS version. The look of TW remains pretty similar when it's put on top of ICS and JB.

I happen to be running Synergy (118) and have found no reason to leave. I like it, but that doesn't mean there's something out there you would like better. I just happen to like what the dev has done with the ROM so I found no reason to explore.

There's also a new kernal available with an overclock to 1900MHz. You can download it now, seperate from the ROM, but it should be baked into the next Synergy revision slated to come out shortly.

With Synergy you also have two cameras and galleries available in the ROM. One is the 4.2 camera. The cameras have some interesting options, so it's a nice feature to have. If you don't see the two cameras, you might be on an older Synergy revision.

So those are just some random thoughts I've had after reading your post. If you still want to try another ROM, CleanRom seems pretty popular. It's a TW-based ROM, so you'll be able to keep some of the features you seem to like without losing them to a ROM like CM10. It's available over on xda.

Oops, I reread your post and saw that you already tried CleanRom. Never mind my comment.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It was actually off a recommendation from someone on this forum hat I try Synergy. Yes I am on the newest one but I did not know about the newest kernel. Stoked to try that. I read a lot of comments about cleanRom that detoured me from it and decided to go with Synergy. I've noticed a few bugs on Synergy but not many. Screen flashes and the 4.2 camera is the biggest bug I found. The downer is you can't upgrade from inside Synergy like you can CM10.solid rom though. Battery's good. That's pretty much all I've noticed which is enough for a heavy user to stay.