How goes CleanRom 5.0?

NCchrisSU

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question, but this will be my first time flashing a ROM (rooted and and unlocked the bootloader for the first time yesterday) but is CleanROM 5.5 a touchwiz based ROM or an AOSP based ROM? I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up. Thanks in advance!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Alright thank you :) I am currently not rooted might look into it or wait for the clean rom 6 which is supposed to come out soon I believe. Thanks for the help though!

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

No problem. CleanROM 5.5.1 is the latest version (some speculated it would be CR 6.0, but this is the one they were referring to). *IF* there is another leak or if the official JB update comes out, then we'll get a CR 6.0, but neither of those events have happened, so there is no new version in the works at the moment as far as I know.

If you're interested in all this (rooting, roms, etc), my advice is to get through the rooting and unlocking stuff first. Not that any of this is *that* hard, but they are the first steps to take, and to a first timer it's probably best to tackle one task at a time. Check the stickies here, read and get grasp of what's going on, then if you're comfortable and feel like it's something you want to do, jump into rooting. If you have any questions, just ask the folks here.

This is probably a stupid question, but this will be my first time flashing a ROM (rooted and and unlocked the bootloader for the first time yesterday) but is CleanROM 5.5 a touchwiz based ROM or an AOSP based ROM? I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up. Thanks in advance!

CR 5.5 is Touchwiz based. In my opinion a great first ROM to flash since it's pretty stable and is built of the stock S3 OS (Jelly Bean leak). If you really don't like TouchWiz, you have an option during install to choose a different launcher, such as Nova or Trebuchet (CM's launcher)...but if you want to keep things pretty familiar, I'd just stick with TW. Up to you.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded and flashed 5.5.1 last night and have continued to enjoy this ROM. Couple small tweaks have been made but even without noticeable changes, I can't say I've had a better ROM, including the hacking I've done on my Palm Pre, Evo and Evo 3D. Touchwiz is a great UI imo and worth skipping CyanogenMod with the features Samsung has added to the Android system. Great battery life, and runs faster than stock (assuming mostly due to project butter that comes with JB upgrade).

Great work to Scott!!!

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I usually hate flashing ROMs because I always have problems with the phone restarting of camera not working..... Something.
I rooted and flashed 5.0 and now flashed 5.5.1 and haven't had any problems. No bugs to my knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
5.0 was fine. 5.5.1 kept having problems. Tried to reflash after wipe and couldn't get onto cwm recovery. Phone started to boot loop now I'm back to stock and staying stock.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I just jumped to the new version too. I had that endless boot also. Just re flashed the rom and it started. Was really weird. I see a few cosmetic bugs so far.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
CR 5.5 is now out, based on new leak. CR 5.0 is running so well I doubt I'll flash it (or at least I'll wait to see if there's a worth while reason to). Doubt you could go wrong with either one.

Same here...loving 5.0. I'm 19 hours now on battery and at 66%. I've noticed the only time I really get significant battery drain is if I'm talking a lot on the phone or streaming netflix. It was the same with ICS and to be expected.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
How the balls to getting that good of battery life? I'm at 62% after 3 hrs of use. You using stock kernel? Also I don't use any power save features, so any tips you can give me to get that?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm stock kernel. I keep power saving mode on at all times. Disable vibration on key presses and notifications. Also stay on wifi when at home.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ooooh ok. That's what I kinda thought. I'm a full feature user myself and use everything this phones got. I'll have to try cutting some features and see how it goes

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I recently flashed Clean Rom 5.5.1 and so far I'm happy with it. I do have one issue that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep WiFi enabled when the phone goes to sleep. This becomes a problem if I am downloading large files/updates. Has anybody had this problem?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I recently flashed Clean Rom 5.5.1 and so far I'm happy with it. I do have one issue that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep WiFi enabled when the phone goes to sleep. This becomes a problem if I am downloading large files/updates. Has anybody had this problem?

Settings -> Wi-Fi ->(Menu button) Advanced -> Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Or it may be because I didn't totally wipe my phone before flashing CleanRom. I may retry it this week.

This sounds more likely, you should always wipe. I'm running CleanRom 5.5.1 right now with absolutely no problems, and I rarely have any of the problems most people report after flashing - - I'd say that's most likely because I always clean flash/full wipe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

bgbird

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I did a clean flash/full wipe also. I'm on CR5.5.1 and couldn't be happier. Battery life is pretty good for me. I usually can go 1.5 days between charging. I usually restart the phone at least 1 times per week (old habit) to keep everything fresh. I diagnosed way too many memory leaks in my career. Seems like every app that I use comes out with a new version at least every 10 days. Don't think that there is all that much regression testing going on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance