Benefit of Rooting

minicoop69

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a GS3 and am looking into rooting. What are the benefits of doing this? I am just wondering.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I just go into rooting and android for that matter. Installing ROMs is pretty much the main reason why I did. Oh and to get rid of boat ware. After trying out a few ROMs I've noticed better battery life pretty cheap on each of them compared to TW. I'm on CM10 now after using two TW based ones. I way dog the layout. Smooth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If all you do is root you can install an ad blocker, wireless tether, lots others. If you unlock the boot loader it opens the world of ROMs up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's like the difference between running a Windows computer with an account that has "admin" privileges vs. an account that has just "user" privileges.

Rooting gives you permission to modify (essentially) all system files. Yes, this gives you power to do a lot that couldn't otherwise do; and it also gives you the power to send your phone into a state of FUBAR...although luckily there are some checks in place to help prevent that from easily happening.

My advice is usually this: If you're not sure why you'd want root in the first place, you're probably better off not doing it.

rajatq2

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
yo truthfamilyfaith that sounds pretty good pretty compelling. but i dont necessarily want to get rid of boat ware. i get to go out on my cousins boat a couple times per year and though i've never used boat ware it would be cool to have a gps and maybe a fish finder or something out there. how do you get it back if you root?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
yo truthfamilyfaith that sounds pretty good pretty compelling. but i dont necessarily want to get rid of boat ware. i get to go out on my cousins boat a couple times per year and though i've never used boat ware it would be cool to have a gps and maybe a fish finder or something out there. how do you get it back if you root?
Hehehe.... Boat ware..

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

Sorry man, but rooting's probably not for you. He was referring to bloatware, which is all the carrier apps that are stuck in the stock fashion. Again, no offense, but I'd recommend against rooting.

anon(2682413)

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry man, but rooting's probably not for you. He was referring to bloatware, which is all the carrier apps that are stuck in the stock fashion. Again, no offense, but I'd recommend against rooting.

lol, idk if this ruined the joke or made it better

btw I just made the conversion from blackberry. Love it!

rajatq2

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Lol this is gold, pure gold. I wish there really was such a thing as boat ware. But thankfully there are plenty of dudes on this forum who can't spell for their life :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz