Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Benefit of Rooting

I just bought a GS3 and am looking into rooting. What are the benefits of doing this? I am just wondering.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Benefit of Rooting

I just go into rooting and android for that matter. Installing ROMs is pretty much the main reason why I did. Oh and to get rid of boat ware. After trying out a few ROMs I've noticed better battery life pretty cheap on each of them compared to TW. I'm on CM10 now after using two TW based ones. I way dog the layout. Smooth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

If all you do is root you can install an ad blocker, wireless tether, lots others. If you unlock the boot loader it opens the world of ROMs up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

It's like the difference between running a Windows computer with an account that has "admin" privileges vs. an account that has just "user" privileges.

Rooting gives you permission to modify (essentially) all system files. Yes, this gives you power to do a lot that couldn't otherwise do; and it also gives you the power to send your phone into a state of FUBAR...although luckily there are some checks in place to help prevent that from easily happening.

My advice is usually this: If you're not sure why you'd want root in the first place, you're probably better off not doing it.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

yo truthfamilyfaith that sounds pretty good pretty compelling. but i dont necessarily want to get rid of boat ware. i get to go out on my cousins boat a couple times per year and though i've never used boat ware it would be cool to have a gps and maybe a fish finder or something out there. how do you get it back if you root?

Default Benefit of Rooting

Wow lol

Quote Originally Posted by rajatq2 View Post
    yo truthfamilyfaith that sounds pretty good pretty compelling. but i dont necessarily want to get rid of boat ware. i get to go out on my cousins boat a couple times per year and though i've never used boat ware it would be cool to have a gps and maybe a fish finder or something out there. how do you get it back if you root?
    Hehehe.... Boat ware..
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

ROFL. Too funny.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.

lmao...speechless

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rajatq2 View Post
    Sorry man, but rooting's probably not for you. He was referring to bloatware, which is all the carrier apps that are stuck in the stock fashion. Again, no offense, but I'd recommend against rooting.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sorry man, but rooting's probably not for you. He was referring to bloatware, which is all the carrier apps that are stuck in the stock fashion. Again, no offense, but I'd recommend against rooting.
    lol, idk if this ruined the joke or made it better

btw I just made the conversion from blackberry. Love it!

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Lol this is gold, pure gold. I wish there really was such a thing as boat ware. But thankfully there are plenty of dudes on this forum who can't spell for their life