1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Synergy ROM issue

I am loving this ROM, but came across one issue. I can't set a picture as my lock screen. A stock wallpaper works but not a picture I have. It let's me crop the image and once I hit set it doesn't change and creates a weird cropped photo in my album

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Synergy ROM issue

I'm also running the latest Synergy ROM (revision 125) with the latest radio leak (K3) and associated rpm. I remember having the same thing happening to me a while back. I couldn't set a lock screen picture and all I got was a little smaller version of the picture in my gallery when I tried to do it. It was a strange thing, but it has since resolved itself.

Here's my answer. For the life of me, I don't know how it got resolved. It just happened one day. If I had to tie it down to something, I would say it fixed itself when I upgraded to a later revision from the first Synergy JB version. If the last Synergy ICS was revision 73, then the first JB version was the next one. In any case, the issue hasn't been around for a while for me. It was certainly gone by revision 118 and it's jsut a memory on 125.

I'm sure you know how to flash ROMs, so please excuse me if I suggest something you're already doing. I just want to make sure that all bases are covered.

First, are you on the latest Synergy version? That would be 125. Second, are you wiping the cache and the dalvik cache in Recovery before you flash each ROM? It's called a dirty flash when you only wipe those two caches, and I would encourage you to do that to ensure you're getting a clean installation.

Some folks recommend that you do a wipe data before installaing each version, but I've never done it. It would give you the cleanest install. You would need to backup your data in Titanium Backup so you don't spend the next day recreating a lot of stuff.

So, if I touched on some stuff that you're already doing, please excuse me. However, if you didn't wipe you caches, or are running an older Synergy JB revision, then you might just find that your problem will go away when you update. That's what happened to me and now I have one of my pictures on my lock screen that's different from the wallpaper on the home screen.

Perhaps you'll get some clearer answers from someone else. In any case, good luck in finding the resolution.

What App are you using to apply it? I had an issue like this with QuickPic, but using the stock option (from within QuickPic) works for me.

Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Synergy ROM issue-uploadfromtaptalk1354926731437.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Rvhighway, thanks for the detailed response. I have version 125 and I did a full wipe and cleared my dalvik, however I did not clear the cache. I was always told to do a full wipe but if I don't have to I won't do that next time.

What do you suggest now that you have my response?

Well, it sounds like you almost did a clean install, but really didn't. Instead, you did a hybrid install. It wasn't clean and it wasn't dirty. You did something inbetween. If you're trying to do a clean install, you need to wipe all three - data, cache and dalvik.

Short of doing all three again for a complete clean install, how about trying this - just do a dirty install over your current ROM. That's what I'd do. It won't take long and you won't have the clean install setup pains. You know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully you still have 125 on your phone. If not, get it there again. Then, just do a wipe cache. I like to do it three times in a row. It might be voodoo, but it only takes seconds and I can't complain at this point. Then, wipe dalvik. Again, do it three times in a row - again, just voodoo. Finally, install 125 again and let's see what happens.

If you still can't set a lock screen image, the only thing left to do is to do the clean install. Remember, you need to wipe all three - data, cache and dalvik.

I'm recommending doing this stuff all over again because I know it's working. It's working on my S3 and I know it's working on other ones. It's also been working for a few revisions at this point, but certainly on 125.

I'm also suggesting trying the dirty flash simply because it's a lot less painful and only takes a few minutes. If it fixes it, then you'll be happy. If it doesn't, then it's no big loss - just a few minutes. You can then go ahead and reinstall the clean way.

Good luck and be sure to tell us what happened.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I actually don't know what a dirty flash is! I am assuming it is wiping the cache and dalvik? Do I just go into recovery and do this without reflashing the ROM?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok I got it so wipe cache, dalvik and then flash ROM.

Right, you got it. A dirty ROM install is to just wipe cache and wipe davik, and then install the ROM. A clean ROM install involves wiping data, wiping cache and wiping dalvik and then install the ROM. You do this in Recovery.

Of course, when you do a clean install, you'll want to backup your data because you're going to start clean. Don't backup system or, if you do, don't restore it. It'll be restoring system files that may not be current for your newly flashed ROM. It'll mess you all up.

I'm interested in hearing how things went for you.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Figures it out and had nothing to do with wiping data, which unfortunately I did before k realized the issue. You see how there are two gallery apps? Well when you use the original gallery (yellow flower icon) and set a picture for wallpaper it works. It doesn't work with the jelly bean gallery app. It just crops the picture

I'm glad it turned out simple. The other Gallery is from 4.2, along with the associated camera, that was ported over to our 4.1.1 ROM.

As for wiping data, it's simple to reinstall from a backup. It would put you right back in business.

I guess it's time to stop fussing with the operating system now and just enjoy it. I've enjoyed Synergy since the ICS builds and it's just gotten better over time.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

The ROM is probably the most stable one I have flashed so far. I actually don't even like the 4.2 camera! I find it very difficult to use in my opinion. I am going to freeze it in titanium backup for now.

My favorite ROM is cm10 but I had major issues with it so I am not using it anymore.

If I'm running synergy ROM and want to update to the newest version hoe would i go about updating the rom????