1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question on Odin...

What exactly is it? From what I've read it seems to be another way to flash our dervices other than clockworkmod... Am I right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Default Re: Question on Odin...

Yes. Install Kies so that you have the required drivers, if you haven't already. Then install Odin. Put your phone into recovery mode, connect with USB. Drag the file you want to flash into the PDA field. Make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked off. Click Start. Wait ~10 minutes and restart your phone, and you're done. There are threads at XDA that explain it a little better, but it was a painless, stress-free flash.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Yes. Install Kies so that you have the required drivers, if you haven't already. Then install Odin. Put your phone into recovery mode, connect with USB. Drag the file you want to flash into the PDA field. Make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked off. Click Start. Wait ~10 minutes and restart your phone, and you're done. There are threads at XDA that explain it a little better, but it was a painless, stress-free flash.
    I'll have to check out Kies I haven't used it yet... Just had this phone a lil over a week lol. Seems easy enough do you yourself prefer to flash this way over clockworkmod?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

I honestly couldn't tell you if it's easier. I've had my SGS3 for 3 months, and just installed Kies the other day when I rooted my phone. I found a stock image root(4.1.1), so supposedly this doesn't affect the flash counter. The method I described above was stupidly simple. This is my first Android phone, and there was nothing to it. My main interest was getting the 4.2 camera added although I've been messing around with ROM Toolbox a bit. I used GooManager to install the camera, afterwards.

Not really, you can use it to flash a number of things (modems, ROMs, stock images). It's somewhat similar to CWM but not exactly identical.

You can use it to root, but with debugs root tool it isn't really necessary, you'd only need it to return to stock unrooted.

If you're trying to flash a custom ROM than use a custom recovery. You can't flash ROMs like CM10 or CleanROM through Odin.

Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-
    Thanked by:

Delete

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

[How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video
    [How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video

This is will give you a pretty thorough idea of what and how to use odin. There is even a video. ..obviously don't use anything from that thread as it pertains to another phone but it will give you a greater understanding

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Not really, you can use it to flash a number of things (modems, ROMs, stock images). It's somewhat similar to CWM but not exactly identical.

You can use it to root, but with debugs root tool it isn't really necessary, you'd only need it to return to stock unrooted.

If you're trying to flash a custom ROM than use a custom recovery. You can't flash ROMs like CM10 or CleanROM through Odin.

Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-
    Thanks for clarifying. I just used it to root mine to stock 4.1.1. and wasn't 100% on whether you could flash other ROMs or not.