1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Default Couple of questions after rooting, unlocking and flashing CleanROM

Finally took the time to root, unlock and flash cleanrom as it just ran so well on stock that I didn't really have a need but just kept getting the itch to do it. Used to flash the heck out of my Inc and nexus, and the flashing bug finally bit me again.

Anyhow, just curious since it's been a while....

1. Should I have done a wipe of cache or factory restore at any point? I'm surprised all of my data and settings remained intact after rooting and unlocking. All apps and homescreens remained and i just remember unlocking used to wipe the device.

2. How can i get clockworkmod recovery and Titanium to default to the external sdcard and not the built-in storage? I want my nand backups on external sd (possibly related to my fear of internal being wiped during a flash - see question above). I just prefer having everything possible on external sd.

3. I now have two superuser apps. One from original rooting and one with cleanrom I think? Should I just keep both?

Thats it so far but will most definitely have more questions. Thanks all!

Default Re: Couple of questions after rooting, unlocking and flashing CleanROM

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Finally took the time to root, unlock and flash cleanrom as it just ran so well on stock that I didn't really have a need but just kept getting the itch to do it. Used to flash the heck out of my Inc and nexus, and the flashing bug finally bit me again.

Anyhow, just curious since it's been a while....

1. Should I have done a wipe of cache or factory restore at any point? I'm surprised all of my data and settings remained intact after rooting and unlocking. All apps and homescreens remained and i just remember unlocking used to wipe the device.

2. How can i get clockworkmod recovery and Titanium to default to the external sdcard and not the built-in storage? I want my nand backups on external sd (possibly related to my fear of internal being wiped during a flash - see question above). I just prefer having everything possible on external sd.

3. I now have two superuser apps. One from original rooting and one with cleanrom I think? Should I just keep both?

Thats it so far but will most definitely have more questions. Thanks all!
    1. I find it's best to always do a full system restore wipe when installing a new ROM. The only exception may be if you're just running an update to a ROM you're already running, or something minor like that. None the less, if everything is working fine, you're probably good to go...but if you notice stuff acting quirky, you may want to wipe and re-install.

2. When you go to backups, there are separate "backup to sdcard" and "restore from sdcard" options -- just use those instead of the default "backup" and "restore" options. Also note that you can change the backup format from "dup" (with the "Blobs" folder) to "tar" (older method many of us are used to) prior to running your backup if you want. If you're the type of person who keeps multiple, frequent backups, the current dup format is probably best (larger file at first with smaller files generated during subsequent backups), but if you're like me and only do occasional backups prior to switching ROMs or installing something major (or if you want to offload backups to an external source such as your computer), it may be better to switch to the tar format.

3. The "SuperSU" app is the newer one that supersceedes the old "Superuser" app. As long as root is working fine, I probably wouldn't touch it and just leave both on there. It should be "SuperSU" that pops up to ask if you want to get an app root permissions. If you want to verify it's working properly, just open Terminal Emulator and type "su -" at the prompt and see which app pops up.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Thanks! I didn't even notice the choices in recovery. Everything is running fine for now but will wipe if things go sideways..... Battery life seems worse so far compared to stock verizon, but will keep an eye on that. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Thanks! I didn't even notice the choices in recovery. Everything is running fine for now but will wipe if things go sideways..... Battery life seems worse so far compared to stock verizon, but will keep an eye on that. Thanks again.
    Let it settle in for a day or two to see if the battery really is worse. To be honest, I've noticed much better battery life since going from stock to CR...so that may be an artifact of not wiping data during install.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

I went ahead and wiped. Battery seems better already.