1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Latest VRBLK3 leaked factory ROM??

Using leaked ROM VRBLK1 from XDA Developers posted 11-15-12 from open1your1eyes, and it seems to be working ok? Also followed his steps and did root,custom recovery and unlock bootloader.All seem to be working just fine.. My question is now there's another ROM dated 11-30-12 called VRBLK3 same as OTA from Verizon,can I just flash over the VRBLK1 using ODIN like I did before? Or do I need to wipe everything clean? Also will I have to do root,custom recovery and unlockboot loader again? Tried to post same ques? on XDA but I couldn't. Any help would b gratefully appreciated.

Default Re: Latest VRBLK3 leaked factory ROM??

Need same question answered.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joe_5962 View Post
    Using leaked ROM VRBLK1 from XDA Developers posted 11-15-12 from open1your1eyes, and it seems to be working ok? Also followed his steps and did root,custom recovery and unlock bootloader.All seem to be working just fine.. My question is now there's another ROM dated 11-30-12 called VRBLK3 same as OTA from Verizon,can I just flash over the VRBLK1 using ODIN like I did before? Or do I need to wipe everything clean? Also will I have to do root,custom recovery and unlockboot loader again? Tried to post same ques? on XDA but I couldn't. Any help would b gratefully appreciated.
    There are two types of files out there when it comes to leaks...

First, you have the ".tar" files that can be installed with ODIN. These completely wipe the current config, but because they are "officially released" OS versions, they can be installed by anyone, regardless of root status.

Second, you have ROMs, which comes as ".zip" files. These files must be flashed in ClockwordMod Recovery (CWM). You must already have root and CWM installed in order to flash ROMs, but the advantage to ROMs are that they come pre-rooted, so there's no extra work there. Also, while many will suggest that you do a factory reset wipe regardless, installing a ROM will not wipe the data and settings on the device. These files are NOT installed using ODIN.
    This is an example of the latest link in ROM:
    Most rooting procedures include a step which installed CWM, but if you're not sure, install the ROM Manager app and you can check from there and install it if needed.

If you wanted to get your phone to same version as the current official OS, from that link above you would download the ROM, Radio, and RPM file(s). Then, boot your phone into CWM...
    1. Wipe Cache
    2. Advanced --> Wipe Dalvik
    3. Wipe Data/Factory reset (optional, but recommended)
    4. Install .zip from SD card: Choose RPM file you downloaded
    5. Install .zip from SD card: Choose Radio file you downloaded
    6. Install .zip from SD card: Choose ROM file you downloaded
    7. Reboot and enjoy.

(If you choose to do the factory reset, see this for tips on backing up and restoring you apps and settings. I wrote this guide a while ago, but it's still pretty relevant: [Guide] How to Backup and Restore Apps and Data when installing new ROMs )

*you should ALWAYS wipe cache in CWM even if you choose not to do a factory reset.
    **there are other custom recoveries out there, such as TWRP that can be used as well, but I personally have not.

Whew...hopefully that covers it....

Thanks for the reply. So I guess I can just Odin over the K1 with K3.
    Also, If I do nothing will I get the OTA running leak vrblk1?

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post

If you wanted to get your phone to same version as the current official OS, from that link above you would download the ROM, Radio, and RPM file(s).
    What are RPM files?

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    What are RPM files?
    Here ya' go . . . RPM Explained:
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rvhighway View Post
    Here ya' go . . . RPM Explained:
    Great, sounds like I don't need it. I didn't flash it and I'm running fine with Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by WestOkid View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess I can just Odin over the K1 with K3.
    Also, If I do nothing will I get the OTA running leak vrblk1?

Just to be clear: ONLY if you have the .tar file that can be flashed in ODIN...the .zip file in the link I posted above is NOT installable via ODIN. (I'm sure it's out there, but I'm not sure where to download that).

If you're already rooted, flashing the rooted ROM file is the preferred way to go.