Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to site and have a few questions about rooting.

My real question is if I root do I have to buy paid apps to get the most out of my rooted phone? I looked and didn't see if it was required. A list of the best apps for rooted phones would be nice this will be my first time rooting a phone.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

Sent from my verizon Galaxy s3.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: New to site and have a few questions about rooting.

It depends on what you're wanting to do. As far as applications that require root, although I don't use it, a popular one is Titanium Backup which makes the process of switching ROMs easier for some people. You can also use a root file explorer like ES File Explorer or ASTRO to remove bloatware applications, or system applications that you use replacements for instead (like a custom launcher). Of course, you'll want to check with other users of your specific phone and software version to find out what exactly is safe to remove.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by:
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Default Re: New to site and have a few questions about rooting.

There are several paid root apps, but you may never want or need them. Most tools are available for free. It really does depend on how you use your device; rooting and ROMing open up new ways to use it and certain apps will simplify those tasks for a small price. For me, a paid VPN client meets my needs better than the freely available apps--they only work if using a good custom ROM with the kernel modules installed.

Backups are important, but you really don't need Titanium Backup for most things. Clean installs of ROMs and apps are much more reliable; apps can also be copied to an SD card manually before wiping.

If you root, install the custom recovery and do a nandroid backup. Always do a nandroid backup before removing any system app; you may bork it more than you expected.

Although it is a popular root app, I strongly discourage the use of ROM Manager. You do not need it and can save $5 and the potential for some large headaches by avoiding that one. Consider donating to the developer of a ROM or app that you really like; they will appreciate it.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.