Gonna root my SCH-I535! Just a couple questions.

Poehring

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
First off, I know where to go to find instruction on rooting, so I don't have any questions regarding that.

My main question, is should I? I would love to go the route of CM10, but I know there are a few other really good ones out there. I love my S3, and it is awesome. It's fast, Apps RARELY crash (when they do, the devs are quick to respond), great signal for both voice and data... but... What do all men with power want?... More POWER! I rooted my DX back in the day and it was awesome, however, the DX couldn't quite keep up with a lot of the stuff you can do with a rooted device.

My main question for asking if I should, is because I think there might be another update coming to the Verizon S3 here in the next month or so, so I want to make sure I am not going to mess anything up by rooting. If I remember correctly, I dont have to unroot to get the updates, and furthermore, correct me if Im wrong, I wont even need the updates because I will be using the ROMs updates, am I correct?

Anyway, some insight would be awesome. Should I root? Should I not? Mainly I'd like to overclock and load a custom ROM. I will play with all the other features over time, but those are my main two reasons for wanting to Root.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses!

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Root. Hell yes

And yes with ROMs you won't get OTA updates or need them either. Like you said...its a guy thing. I rooted my RAZR maxx recently and this Nexus is next! WiFi tether is reason enough.
And with unlimited data.... Nuff said!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
2nd vote for hell yes! Rooted my s3 and haven't looked back

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Poehring

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. What ROMs are you guys using? I really want to go with CM10, just because that is the one i know the most about, but I know there are a few other good ones out there. Mainly I want CM10 because of the support it receives.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I personally haven't done any ROMs. I like motoblur so I don't mess with it. I am going to put a ROM on my old droid x just for the hell of it, but I just have root to freeze bloatware and for tether.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Poehring

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. When I rooted my DX, I managed to get it OCd to a steady 1.37Ghz. Any faster than that and I would start to notice hiccups and temperature spikes. Still though, 1.37Ghz was not bad back then, lol.

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I've got 2 roms that I go with. If I want to use a touchwiz ROM, I use Darth stalker. If I want pure stock android, I use slimrom. Both are awesome roms, just depends on if you like tw or stock android.

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is Samsung's ui that they have on all of their android phones just like HTC has Sense and Motorola had motoblur. Stock android is the purest form of android, no manufacturer ui. The best example of stock android is the galaxy nexus. Cyanogenmod is also stock android or aosp (android open source project) as most people call it

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm okay maybe I dont know as much as I thought. What do you mean by Touchwiz vs Stock? What is Touchwiz?

"Stock Android" or "AOSP" (Android Open Source Project) or "Plain Jane" or "Vanilla" are terms that are often thrown around to describe un-skinned Android which resembles the OS of Nexus devices. It does not have any OEM UI added, such as Samsung's TouchWiz or HTC's Sense or etc... CyanogenMod (i.e. CM10) fits into this category, and is probably the most widely distributed AOSP-based custom firmware, as it runs on many devices and has a large development community. AOSP ROMs are generally leaner and meaner than the OEM OS version, since they don't have a lot of the manufacturer added features and/or bloatware (whether something is a feature or bloatware is often in the eye of the user).

AOKP ("Android Open Kang Project", a play on AOSP), is another example of a widely-distributed AOSP ROM that you'll see in dev forums. I mention this so you don't confuse AOKP (a project ROM based off of AOSP) with stock Android (that which is found on Nexus devices) itself.

Touchwiz ROMs are based off of the "official" Samsung OS for the S3. They generally include all the added Samsung features, such as S-Voice, S-Memo, S-Beam, Samsung's camera, etc, as well as the custome themed homescreen and app drawer.

There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both, and usually what you choose to install should be based on personal preference. I generally suggest to those new to the ROM world to go with a Touchwiz based ROM at first, because they often have less bugs (because they are usually built directly from the device's "official" OS release), and have most of the default features of the device pre-loaded with the ROM, so the experience will be more similar to that which you are used to. Once you've got a handle on making backups, installing ROMs, and the post-ROM install setup procedures, then it's a lot easier to try out AOSP ROMs and the like...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for hell yes.

My only question for you at this point is why you want to overclock. If it is UI performance that you seek, you may be quite content with a good custom ROM that is free of bloatware and bugs. I also find that AOSP ROMs are faster than Touchwiz, but that's just an opinion.

If you are already familiar with CM, then give that a go or try CarbonROM. I was a huge fan of CM on my previous device and thought that was it, but there are so many great options for this awesome device. Try a few and go with the one you like; you can always try something else out whenever you like.

I highly recommend that if you do root, be sure to install a custom recovery and run a backup. Running rooted and playing with root apps and tweaks with no fallback is just asking for trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34