Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Updated Big Red GS3 to 4.1.2, got the dreaded "System Software not Authorized by VZW" message...help

I have a rooted, stock GS3. Waited a few hours for others to update to 4.1.2 and someone said they used Voodoo Rootkeeper to temp unroot, updated, and everything was fine. I did this also, and my phone updated and rebooted. But now it says "secure fail: kernel" in the upper left of the screen and there is a big message on my screen that says, "system software not authorized by VZW has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest VZW store for help." Can't get anything to load now. I have been regularly backing up data via Titanium Backup.

Can someone tell me why this happened and how to fix, please? I'm not super familiar with flashing back to stock or anything (hoping there's a better option anyway), but I would appreciate all the keep I can get.

EDIT: Should have done a bit more digging on this site, I'll admit -- following steps in this thread to flash back to stock with Odin now. Guess that'll have to do.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy

Default Re: Updated Big Red GS3 to 4.1.2, got the dreaded "System Software not Authorized by VZW" message...

Sounds like you may have to use Odin to get your phone back to life.

Are you able to get into recovery?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Re: Updated Big Red GS3 to 4.1.2, got the dreaded "System Software not Authorized by VZW" message...

Update: Found the non-wipe stock rom of 4.1.2 and am fully functioning again! WITH the latest update. [HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 02.05.2013 - xda-developers

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, got it! Posted my saving grace link below. Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by JoePaLives84 View Post
    Update: Found the non-wipe stock rom of 4.1.2 and am fully functioning again! WITH the latest update. [HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 02.05.2013 - xda-developers

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, got it! Posted my saving grace link below. Thanks anyway!
    But that is NOT the current release. The new one is VRBMB1.

A rooted version is posted but I am going to wait a bit before trying it:

[ROM][3/6/13] - Stock Root JB 4.1.2 - I535VRBMB1 Official Update - xda-developers

I had the same problem. I booted into download mode and canceled, phone rebooted without problem. It showed update as failed, yet the version indicated a success.

How you get in Donload mode? Everything Iam trying to do and I get same 'secyrity fail : Kernel'... My Odin dont show any phone..Updated Big Red GS3 to 4.1.2, got the dreaded "System Software not Authorized by VZW" message...help-20120123_101806.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dimizz View Post
    How you get in Donload mode?
    -- Download = Volume Down + Home + Power
    - start with the phone completely off
    - press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling logo (not the static white text)

Your screenshot makes it seem like you were trying to boot into Recovery mode. If Download mode works then let us know which model/carrier you have and perhaps we can find a stock ROM for you to load.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro