New verizon update won't install with clockworkmod

l33tfr34k

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted verizon galaxy s3 running clockworkmod recovery and I have done any system updates in a few months because I work on cruise ships. My phone asked to install a new OS update and when it started I get a warning message saying the verizon has discovered unauthorized software running and I should go the nearest verizon store to fix it. The phone won't fully start and the update won't install. I can't get into clockworkmod recovery to try anything else. Please help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's because you are rooted that the OTA install won't work. If you can get back to stock the update should go through. Try pulling the battery for a few minutes and then booting up.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually it's the recovery that is likely tripping up the update, not the su binary. Never accept a stock OTA update with a custom recovery in place. Most stock-based ROMs disable this from happening as they well should. If you want to run stock, flash it manually via custom recovery. I recommend a good stock-based ROM instead.

Have you tried pulling the battery, then starting up using the magic button combination to get into recovery?

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted verizon galaxy s3 running clockworkmod recovery and I have done any system updates in a few months because I work on cruise ships. My phone asked to install a new OS update and when it started I get a warning message saying the verizon has discovered unauthorized software running and I should go the nearest verizon store to fix it. The phone won't fully start and the update won't install. I can't get into clockworkmod recovery to try anything else. Please help

My nephew had a very similar issue and the only way I was able to fix it for him was to boot into "download mode" and then use Odin to flash a factory stock image, and then re-root if you want to. As was stated a few posts up, if you want to run "stock" but still be rooted, you should root, flash a recovery (clockwork or twrp), and then from there always flash the updates through clockwork. By doing so you'll never run into this issue and you'll be able to control when YOU want to install the update. As was also stated above, when you use this method to update, you'll always flash a rooted version of the update and they have the "updater" blocked from running.
Good luck

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think when you install the update OTA, it re-locks the bootloader cuz I was having a lot of issues with that when I tried to flash something onto my phone via recovery. It would just go straight into recovery, but then have the aforementioned message come up. I just pulled the battery out and then went into download mode, then pulled the battery out again and it booted as normal. I then downloaded an app to unlock my bootloader so I wouldn't have that problem in the future. To ensure this doesn't happen, as tayswg mentioned, flash the updates through your custom recovery so you don't get accidental bootloader locking.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me which application to freeze in Titanium so that I can't get OTA updates? I don't feel like having the above mentioned scenario play out for me. Is it FWupgrade 1.2.0?

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S3 on Jellybean 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question! I prefer to stay in suspended animation if it means avoiding problems like this.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you like the Touchwiz interface and apps, then just flash a stock-based TW ROM where the OTA is blocked. I believe CleanROM has this feature, among many others.

garvus

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok I rooted my Verizon s3. I (stupidly ) did the OTA update through the stock OS. It rebooted into clockwork mod and updated itself. CWM asked if it wanted me to retain root? I said yes.
All was fine, I got al the new software and kept root. The only main difference is e giant unlocked padlock image when rebooting,
I have decided I'd like to nan droid backup. During the first process the backup "failed" ...despite all steps completed and the files present in the CWM backup folder afterwards.

However, now when I try to boot junto recover I get the Verizon warning message.
Should I just re flash CWM via Odin?
Can I make a backup somehow first?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's rather pointless to make a Nandroid backup when your current OS image is screwed up. You should fix whatever is wrong before doing that.
Regarding CWM, you didn't note what version you're using. If you're not using the latest version you should update to that before proceeding. I use TWRP, which I get from GooManager: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.s0up.goomanager&token=Iv0O3S3u (I got tired of weird problems with CWM, but YMMV).
If you want to be able to accept OTAs then you should go back to a stock Recovery and stock ROM (loaded via Odin); or, you should ensure that you block OTAs (if you're using a stock ROM) so that no strangeness happens.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34