1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default DONE. Sucessfully unlocked and rooted! Advice?

So I am still relatively new to the whole rooting and custom ROM world. I've had my GS3 for about six months (SCH-i535) and I had an HTC Incredible 2 for a year and a half before that, though I didn't consider rooting that. Since I got the GS3 I have been reading up about rooting, custom ROMs and all the other amazing stuff you can do with your smartphone, and considering doing it. Well, I finally made the leap and attempted it tonight using this guide

Worked flawlessly, I can't believe how simple that was. I was always so scared to do it for fear of bricking my phone, but this went off without a hitch (well almost) I did have a little trouble getting into recovery mode but I got it eventually. Now I have unlocked the bootloader, installed custom recovery (clockwork recovery) and am fully rooted. I can't believe it. Now I am just awestricken at all the new possibilities before me. Hehe. So I guess I just wanted to tell someone, anyone, about my successful rooting, hehe. Not nearly as hard as I thought.
    Now a few questions.
    I'm not going to flash any custom ROMs right away. I will spend some time getting acquainted with my newfound superuser access. Though, I was wondering if you guys could recommend some good ROMs to try here in the future..? And also, Does anyone have any general tips regarding root?
    Also, I did not factory reset my phone before rooting it. I've heard some people say you should, then other people say that it doesn't matter. This phone is only a few days old. I just got it from Assurion as a replacement and besides installing all my favorite apps and launcher its stock.
    Is this going to adversely affect my phone? Or should I even worry about it?
    I know some of you guys are gonna be like "ahhh great. Another friggen noob, joy" but have some patience with me.
    Any advice and tips would be very much appreciated!!!

Default Re: DONE. Sucessfully unlocked and rooted! Advice?

Carbon rom period! The way google intended these phones to work.

Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

It really depends on what you want from your phone. I didn't really like the plain ol' vanilla look of Jelly Bean for me, so I just the stock TouchWiz ROM with Nova Launcher (I think that's what it's called, lol) doing a lot of the customization for me. I haven't really found a ROM that piques my interest particularly. I tried the Carbon ROM that was mentioned above as I read it in another post - I saw the pictures of the ROM and thought it was really cool looking, but I decided to just restore my phone back to TouchWiz + Nova Launcher.

I would recommend downloading Google Wallet, it's a bit of a hassle just to get it working properly on your phone, but it is pretty neat if you can use it somewhere (I've used it at Babies 'R Us, my local grocery store, and 7 Eleven.)

I've also purchased (which I almost never do, I try to stick to free apps) ROM Toolbox Pro because I think this is what my friend used to use. It has a lot of useful features like Root Browser, build.prop editor so you can edit files to have apps, like Google Wallet, working properly, theme manager for the ROMs that support themes, font installer, icon swapper, CPU control, kernel tweaks to help boost your phone performance or batter life, an app manager to help backup & restore apps, freeze them and uninstall them and a whole bunch of other stuff. I would get the free version to test it out, but I finally went and bought it.

Definitely do a backup of whatever ROM you're currently running, while it's still cooperating, lol. This ensures that you have a backup point to start from - nothing worse than not having a backup and having to do a full wipe of your phone and starting from scratch; I've learned my lesson too many times lol. Then you gotta try to remember all the apps you've had installed and reinstall them all. I personally use ClockworkMod's Touch recovery. Go into backup & restore part of the menu and make sure you do a backup to external SD so you have that safety net.

Just keep in mind that a lot of the stuff you do with root can render your phone useless making it an expensive brick. There are plenty of forums and guides on androidcentral and xda-developers and most people are willing to help so-called "newbs" out. Ask nicely and you shall receive! lol

For me, there's nothing better than having a phone that lasts all day long and doesn't lag whatsoever, but for some people they wanna get the best possible performance from their phone at all times. Some people don't care if it takes 10 minutes for an app to launch, even if it does mean the phone will last a whole year on a single charge (joking of course). There's plenty to do, just look around the forums!

I don't currently have a Verizon S3, so I'm not going to recommend any specific ROMs. But I will say one thing:

Be absolutely, 110% positive that the ROM you're going to flash is, indeed, for the Verizon version of the phone. If it's not absolutely stated, in the clearest language possible, that the ROM will definitely work on the Verizon S3, ASK before you do anything with it. I've seen more bricked S3s than any other phone because people seem to assume that any ROM that says "Galaxy S3" will work on any version of the S3. That is completely wrong.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't currently have a Verizon S3, so I'm not going to recommend any specific ROMs. But I will say one thing:

Be absolutely, 110% positive that the ROM you're going to flash is, indeed, for the Verizon version of the phone. If it's not absolutely stated, in the clearest language possible, that the ROM will definitely work on the Verizon S3, ASK before you do anything with it. I've seen more bricked S3s than any other phone because people seem to assume that any ROM that says "Galaxy S3" will work on any version of the S3. That is completely wrong.
    Yeah I've noticed that. So many dang versions of the S3. I still haven't decided on a ROM to flash yet. I've really been thinking about Beans build 14. It looks amazing. Anybody have an experience with that one?
    Also, what do I need to run set CPU? As I said, I'm fully rooted, with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery. Is that enough to run Set CPU or do I need a custom kernel? In on stock 4.1.2

If you want to play with the kernel you'll need a custom one. I recommend this:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So if I want to use set CPU I have to have a custom kernel? It won't work with the stock 4.1.2 ROM at all?

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S3 on Jellybean 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Verizon Galaxy S4>>JellyBeans B4>>KT-747>>64gb SanDisk ext SD.

Still got much love for my retired S3.. Man do I miss MOAR

"If you're killed in the Matrix...You die here?"
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I am curious about your affinity to the stock ROM. There are several stock-based ROMs which have some of the features that you seek built into them. Additionally, some of the AOSP ROMs also have the CPU controls you seek built in--no SetCPU app required (CarbonROM does, anyway.)

The component that provides or limits the ability to control clock speed and voltage is the kernel. Some ROMs may have a custom kernel, but stock and others do not. You would need to flash a custom kernel, either a TW or AOSP version respectively, to make this possible.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by epidenimus View Post
    I am curious about your affinity to the stock ROM. There are several stock-based ROMs which have some of the features that you seek built into them. Additionally, some of the AOSP ROMs also have the CPU controls you seek built in--no SetCPU app required (CarbonROM does, anyway.)

The component that provides or limits the ability to control clock speed and voltage is the kernel. Some ROMs may have a custom kernel, but stock and others do not. You would need to flash a custom kernel, either a TW or AOSP version respectively, to make this possible.
    I just have the stock ROM because that was part of the root guide I followed. I also wasn't sure about flashing a new Rom just yet. This is the guide u followed:

Ca you recommend a good ROM to try? I've been thinking about Beans build 14, it looks amazing.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S3 on Jellybean 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So I tried my first custom ROM today. I'm using slim ROM 3. I like it quite a bit. One thing that is really bugging me though is whenever I open my phone app it just says "contacts not responding" and force closes. I can't even get in there to make a phone call. Can anyone take a guess as to why that's happening? I go5s figure it out otherwise I'm gonna have to restore my nandroid backup..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Meh, i just Downloaded a different dialer app and now it works. However, for some reason my benchmarks are waaay lower than before. This is what I Was getting g with stock ROMm

Now im getting around 4000..I'm sure I'm just missing a setting somewhere. Anybody got advice on Slim ROM?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Slim ROM 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2.

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2