1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finally Rooting

I've made a few posts about rooting, asking if I should, what the benefits are, etc.. and I have finally decided it is time. I have two questions.

1) Should I use Titanium Backup to backup all my apps BEFORE I root? Or is that only for once I am done, loaded with a ROM and have all my apps re-installed?

2) I have decided to go with Cyanogen Mod. Is there a quick link to the setup for this ROM? I remember seeing one but I cant seem to find it. Then again, I just woke up and can't fully brain yet.

Thank you!!
    Live Free or Die.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Finally Rooting

Edit: So I was looking around at the other Root posts and stumbled across a post claiming you had to put your phone into Odin mode in order to Root properly. Is this true? I have never heard of Odin mode.

Also, look like Titanium Backup only works when rooted, so is there no way to save your apps before you root?

Edit 2: Never mind, when you root, nothing gets wiped :P Only if you do a factory reset will it wipe your apps. Read up on Odin and it sounds like that is the most popular way to go. When I had my DX, Odin wasnt even around, which is why I never heard of it.
    Last edited by Poehring; 04-23-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Live Free or Die.

ODIN mode is more properly called Download mode, as in "Boot into download." It's what you need to do for ODIN to connect to your phone, so some people call it ODIN mode.

ODIN is a Samsung specific utility, which is probably why you didn't see it before.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I'd recommend taking a look at:
    Call Logs Backup & Restore:
    Carbon:
    Easy Backup:
    MyBackup Pro: (there's also a trial version)
    SMS Backup & Restore:
    Carbon will allow you to backup your apps & app data without being rooted. The others will allow you to decide which items (call logs; pictures; videos;etc.) you also want to save.
    Frankly, I don't use Titanium Backup any more unless there's some app that I want to freeze or integrate into the system.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2