Getting S3 Tomorrow - suggestions

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Rooted, Rommed) and am going to buy my co-workers GSIII off of him tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's running 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 (how ancient!).. I know that new firmware for this phone was released today (or yesterday). I was looking for suggestions on the best way to root and unlock the phone. If i update to the new firmware, will I still be able to root with the same method?

I was planning on rooting/unlocking/recovery with this method - How To: Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 - 4.1.1 / 4.1.2 (Quick & Easy!) - YouTube

However, reading the comments, I am seeing there are a lot of people having problems... Basically i'm just looking for suggestions on the best way to root/unlock, I'd really like to use the new features that were just released today as well... and I don't really mind touchwiz, but I hate the look of it (mostly the icons, and green toggles).. Anyone know of a TouchWiz-ish rom with a stock lock?

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I tried to root using the second method in that thread (exact same as video) and it won't let me push the files through.. keep getting "failed to copy 'su' to '/sdcard//su' permission denied" for the three files or so that I need to push.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it to work through ODIN. [GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Images ***UPDATED 02/06/13*** - xda-developers

Think I am going to stay on stock rom with Nova Launcher (Wow, didn't realize how great it really was until using GSIII, I didn't know it controlled the app drawer as well).. All my icons looks stock again!

Last edited:

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my phone from about 3 feet with a case about 2 days after I got.. cracked screen.

Also, what do you guys use for tethering on stock rom? I used the Trevi Wifi Tether, and it worked fine, except I can't turn Wi-Fi back on my phone. I toggle to on, and it goes back to off immediately and i'm no longer tethering. I can still see the option on my laptop to connect to "Android Tether" but it won't connect, and I even did a force shut down app in settings.

Last edited:

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my phone from about 3 feet with a case about 2 days after I got.. cracked screen.

Also, what do you guys use for tethering on stock rom? I used the Trevi Wifi Tether, and it worked fine, except I can't turn Wi-Fi back on my phone. I toggle to on, and it goes back to off immediately and i'm no longer tethering. I can still see the option on my laptop to connect to "Android Tether" but it won't connect, and I even did a force shut down app in settings.

I use foxfi and it works fine. The free version has a usage limit, the paid version no limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37