Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Verizon S3 to Straight Talk

If it is a Galaxy S3 with the model number SCH-i535 and it is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 or higher, it requires no hacking or unlocking at all. All you need to do is get the right SIM card. In my case it was AT&T. If AT&T works in your area, just get that SIM card out of the package, go to stbyop.com and activate a monthly plan on that SIM card. Next, pop it into your phone and turn it on. After it is in your phone, go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode, then select GSM/UMTS. You should now be able to use the phone.

The next thing would be to set the APN settings which is just as easy to do.

Go back one menu to mobile networks, then click on access point names. You should see LTE Verizon Internet. Hit the menu key to the right of your home button at the bottom of your screen this should allow you to add a new access point.

Put these settings in:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
    APN: tfdata
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS port: 80

Restart the phone and turn your data on and you should be all set!

There is nothing that I cannot do on my phone now. The only thing is that the 3G is a little slow, but I mainly use Wi-Fi anyway.

Update: Successfully updated to 4.3 and all is well still. I just had to re-enter my details for GSM and APN settings. If anyone else wants to upgrade to 4.3, follow the steps here: http://true-android.blogspot.com/201...-firmware.html
    Last edited by jaytenberg; 01-26-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Additional details

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by jaytenberg View Post
    If it is a Galaxy S3 with the model number SCH-i535 and it is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 or higher, it requires no hacking or unlocking at all. All you need to do is get the right SIM card. In my case it was AT&T. If AT&T works in your area, just get that SIM card out of the package, go to stbyop.com and activate a monthly plan on that SIM card. Next, pop it into your phone and turn it on. After it is in your phone, go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode, then select GSM/UMTS. You should now be able to use the phone.

The next thing would be to set the APN settings which is just as easy to do.

Go back one menu to mobile networks, then click on access point names. You should see LTE Verizon Internet. Hit the menu key to the right of your home button at the bottom of your screen this should allow you to add a new access point.

Put these settings in:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
    APN: tfdata
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS port: 80

Restart the phone and turn your data on and you should be all set!

There is nothing that I cannot do on my phone now. The only thing is that the 3G is a little slow, but I mainly use Wi-Fi anyway.

Update: Successfully updated to 4.3 and all is well still. I just had to re-enter my details for GSM and APN settings. If anyone else wants to upgrade to 4.3, follow the steps here: http://true-android.blogspot.com/201...-firmware.html
    Welcome to the forums!
    And thanks for sharing that info with all. I bet there are plenty of people here that will be using that help. 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    cmosley8812 likes this.

I did this on my s4 and worked perfect...my s3 is not working though! Any ideas on what to do?!

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by danstep View Post
    I did this on my s4 and worked perfect...my s3 is not working though! Any ideas on what to do?!
    Welcome to the forums!
    So you did this on a GS4 and it worked? Nice!
    Was the GS4 a Verizon or Sprint phone?

How about the GS3, is it a Verizon phone and did you follow the steps mentioned above?

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

I returned the $59.99 package and ordered a micro Sim Card from Walmart.com... only $6.88 plus taxes.. got it last night and followed your info step by step... phone is working perfect now...

Thank you Stehan!! you the man
    Thanked by:
    Stephan Blake likes this.

Thanks. There isn't a whole lot of information on this subject floating around the web and I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I am glad that I could help others in going this route if they so choose.

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

👍😃

@ redduce79, when I go to the mobile network > select the APN > I cannot add an APN via the menu button (that only allows me to restore to default). However, my phone has a bar across the bottom with a "+" sign. Once I click on this it says "Edit Access Point" at the top but its creating a new one (the "edit" threw me off at first , any APNs listed will still remain).

Quote Originally Posted by tomfree99 View Post
    Have S3 i535. Verizon branded over to ST. Using ATT sim.Have followed all suggestions. All works but voicemail. What setting have I missed ?
    How are you trying to access your VM? For me.....You can either manually dial your cell # to access VM or I just dial 1 and it goes to VM now To dial "1" I had to goto Settings>Call>Voicemail Settings>Voicemail Number. Edit the "voicemail number" to your cell phone # (vs. the *86 that verizon uses). then try the #1 for VM like you previously did with Verizon
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

ok i have the Verizon GS3 bought the ST $6.88 att micro sim, did all the setting you guys have said everywhere and i can regular text and call and only get E (edge 2g) data, cannot send or receive pic messages and VM doesn't work. I have tried every option on voicemail. I called ST many times basically they told me no verizon phones on will work so I can only text and call no VM no Pic msg and No data (meaning 3G or higher) :-( what am I doing wrong? Verizon SCH-I535 Version 4.1.2 Basband 535VRBMF1 Kernal 3.0.31-1152558 Hardware I535.10
    Global Data roaming access - allow on all trips
    Preferred network GSM/UMTS
    Network operator AT&T
    Access point
    tfdata

VM - *86 - your call cannot be completed as dialed
    my# - I'm sorry but the person you are calling has a voice mail that has not been set up??
    http://mms-tf.net
    mms3.tracfone.com
    default, mms, sup;
    ipv4
    apn enabled
    unspecified.

Hey i see that they have SIM cards to buy from at&t for like $7. Should i do that or should I do it the way you just showed? BTW it was super easy to understand your steps. Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Gregaireous View Post
    Hey i see that they have SIM cards to buy from at&t for like $7. Should i do that or should I do it the way you just showed? BTW it was super easy to understand your steps. Thanks!
    Are those SIM cards online?

Thank you for taking the time to break this down. I went to wall-mart and they claimed I had to buy a new unlocked phone. My phone with Verizon is just too expensive every month.
    Stephan Blake likes this.

Global Posts
    5,333 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Alexis View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to break this down. I went to wall-mart and they claimed I had to buy a new unlocked phone. My phone with Verizon is just too expensive every month.
    Welcome to the forums! 👍😀

Anyone have an answer to this...i hate that i do not have VM (since i don't have service at home and no one can leave me a VM) and I don't like not being able to receive pic msgs :-(
    TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by palittlemidget View Post
    ok i have the Verizon GS3 bought the ST $6.88 att micro sim, did all the setting you guys have said everywhere and i can regular text and call and only get E (edge 2g) data, cannot send or receive pic messages and VM doesn't work. I have tried every option on voicemail. I called ST many times basically they told me no verizon phones on will work so I can only text and call no VM no Pic msg and No data (meaning 3G or higher) :-( what am I doing wrong? Verizon SCH-I535 Version 4.1.2 Basband 535VRBMF1 Kernal 3.0.31-1152558 Hardware I535.10
    Global Data roaming access - allow on all trips
    Preferred network GSM/UMTS
    Network operator AT&T
    Access point
    tfdata

VM - *86 - your call cannot be completed as dialed
    my# - I'm sorry but the person you are calling has a voice mail that has not been set up??
    http://mms-tf.net
    mms3.tracfone.com
    default, mms, sup;
    ipv4
    apn enabled
    unspecified.

@ Gregaireous

The pack includes 1 month service. You can do either by buying both seperate.

Like others who have asked, I'm trying to figure out why I can not download pic messages via text. Does anybody have a solution for this? I checked the APN settings and they are what they should be. I appreciate all the great info on here as well!! Made my day having this phone on Straight Talk. Thanks in advance with whoever can help.
    Robert Shoraga likes this.

So I decided to buy the Samsung Mega 6.3. Let me tell you by far way better than the s3! Went to walmart, bought the mega 6.3 for ATT and put my Straight Talk sim in and works just fine if not better. Also now I am receiving 4g lte from Straight talk and not "E" edge. Speed increased 100%. 4g lte I believe runs on the verizon network. Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 SGH-I527. GO SAMSUNG!
    Last edited by Stephan Blake; 02-10-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    STARGATE and Pablo Otero like this.

I had the voicemail problem too. Voicemail would not work, it wouldn't let me set it up or manually transfer it to Google voice. I got around it by trying different voicemail apps. I discovered that the YouMail app works and doesn't give me any issues. Plus its free.

How did you unlock your phone from verizon to straight talk. I have a samsung galaxy 3 verizon and want to get it working on straight talk.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy Starks View Post
    I had the voicemail problem too. Voicemail would not work, it wouldn't let me set it up or manually transfer it to Google voice. I got around it by trying different voicemail apps. I discovered that the YouMail app works and doesn't give me any issues. Plus its free.
    How did you get youmail to work? When I do the the *004*thefwdnumber# I get call cannot be completed as dialed I'm thinking I'm going just flash and go to pageplus next month at least I can get vm text and 3g onthere instead of the 2g and no voicemails and don't get half of my txt I get on here

i just purchased a Verizon Galaxy S3 and want to use it with my straight talk sim. How do I do this?

i just purchased a Verizon Galaxy S3 and want to use it with my straight talk sim. How do I do this? I have went through all the steps and it says mobile network not available. Please help!!!

When I installed YouMail, it did all the work for me. When I look in the settings at the voicemail service it is still listed as my carrier, but my voicemail goes through YouMail. The other apps that I tried didn't do that, they wanted to change the setting to their app instead of my carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by qzmpal View Post
    I have been using my Galaxy S3 from Verizon Model Number SCH I-535 on Straight Talk for the past 1 Year. No issues at all.
    Talk works,
    Text works
    SMS works
    MMS Works
    All features works, both I can send or receive SMS and MMS and Picture Messaging and Calls
    But Data is limited to only 2G or EDGE, because frequencies are not supported. But other than that, everything should be fine.

With Android 4.1.2 update released on Dec. 12, 2012, Verizon made the SGS3 a global phone, which means, no unlocking required at all. Aftre You update to 4.1.2 stock ROM also, You can still use the GSM SIM cards.
    I did use Simple Mobile, before I moved to Straight Talk for Good. Got a 1 Year card. No issues at all. Of course data is one more issue.
    If I were You, put a ad in craigslist, and exchange Your SGS3 with that of a T Mobile or AT&T SGS3 and then, Use it, to get the best data speeds as well, since You were planning to move out of verizon for good.
    But data limit for AT&T is 2.5 GB LTE but for T-Mobile it is unlimited but the coverage is a big problem. Please check Your local coverage.

Out of curiosity, what are your current apn settings on your phone?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast