Verizon S3 to Straight Talk

Matt Preston

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an gsm S3 from verizon,and I want to go to Straight Talk because I'm sick of paying $150 a mnth for service,and constantly being told I'm going over 8gb of data, How do I unlock the phone? I've been trying to research on how to,and have a few blogs and such,but I can't find certain files like clockwork mod recovery. I'm not too sure how to do this, so please,if anyone can post a link, destructions, etc, It'd be appreciated. Also,I have searched here,but I get nosebleeds trying to understand what's what.I'm not a technological inept fool,but smart phone hacking is a brand new game to me,so I would like some guidance. Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have an gsm S3 from verizon,and I want to go to Straight Talk because I'm sick of paying $150 a mnth for service,and constantly being told I'm going over 8gb of data, How do I unlock the phone? I've been trying to research on how to,and have a few blogs and such,but I can't find certain files like clockwork mod recovery. I'm not too sure how to do this, so please,if anyone can post a link, destructions, etc, It'd be appreciated. Also,I have searched here,but I get nosebleeds trying to understand what's what.I'm not a technological inept fool,but smart phone hacking is a brand new game to me,so I would like some guidance. Thanks

As far as I know, you don't need Clockwork to unlock the device from your carrier. I believe you are getting confused by the need to unlock the bootloader, and the need to unlock the device to port it to a different carrier. As far as I know, you contact your carrier and ask them to unlock your device because you wish to take it to another carrier. If they comply, they will give you a code to do so.
However, I would contact Straight Talk to see if they can take a device from Verizon. Just to make sure. It would suck to get the device unlocked, out of Verizon, and then find out that ST can't take it.

jonnddoe

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The s3 for verizon is a global phone and does use cdma but if u have android 4.1.2 or newer all u gotta do is get a straight talk sim and change your phone to gsm in network settings

Posted via Android Central App

Donald Cooper

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a verzion gs3 and want to goto straight talk you are saying all I have to do is get a sim card from straight talk and put it in my phone and change a setting in my phone

Makeiteasy

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Jonndoe,
Thank YOU!
Really??? I am NOT techy....amazing the " mystery" around this subject! Kind of, revealing how
" they" rely on the common ignorance of the general public's willingness to go along with this for SOOO
long! I've been with ST for several years ,LG phone... Verizon service & love this NO nonsense option.
ST, A principal based choice ....however
I am so ready for a larger screen, mega option phone! Have spoke with countless ST customer service folks
over time, Googled this subject from every angle....
All eventually declared ONLY LG Optimus Dynamic and Samsung Galaxy Proclaim were ST, Verizon service capable
( if available in area ) which was super disappointing. I would die for a s3 !
Do I understand correctly ? If I purchase a verizon s3 " global phone" it is cdma ( v) verizon branded and have android 4.1.2 +
straight talks sim ( ? ) do setting change to gsm those of us " desperate" for a updated phone will have great Verizon service at a reasonable
price ?? Thank you SO much for taking your time to comment and sharing your expertise. I am going to give it a whirl! All My BEST.

redwyvern

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using my Verizon branded S3 with Simple Mobile. But I actually unlocked, rooted, and put Cyanogenmod ROM on mine. It works fine for voice and texts, but data is limited to 2G due to the CDMA radio frequencies. So, don't expect great data speeds by using GSM services.

LPosos

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a verzion gs3 and want to goto straight talk you are saying all I have to do is get a sim card from straight talk and put it in my phone and change a setting in my phone

I just tested this buy taking a Verizon s3 and setting it to GSM mode. I then used an active AT&T sim from my work phone. I was able to place a call but I have not tested speeds yet. I did not call verizon and ask them to unlock anything.

update:
Data is not working at all.

HBIC904

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
remote flash it .com

I have GS3 and this guy has me up and running on ST. Talk, text, data, MMS, SMS, everything works. Only thing that doesn't work is the 4G, but that has nothing to do with him ST just doesn't offer it, yet.

Amanda22080

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a verizon s3 running straight talk & everything works except receiving picture messages. I can send just not receive. I changed my apn settings but they may not b right. Any suggestions

qzmpal

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my Galaxy S3 from Verizon Model Number SCH I-535 on Straight Talk for the past 1 Year. No issues at all.
Talk works,
Text works
SMS works
MMS Works
All features works, both I can send or receive SMS and MMS and Picture Messaging and Calls
But Data is limited to only 2G or EDGE, because frequencies are not supported. But other than that, everything should be fine.

With Android 4.1.2 update released on Dec. 12, 2012, Verizon made the SGS3 a global phone, which means, no unlocking required at all. Aftre You update to 4.1.2 stock ROM also, You can still use the GSM SIM cards.
I did use Simple Mobile, before I moved to Straight Talk for Good. Got a 1 Year card. No issues at all. Of course data is one more issue.
If I were You, put a ad in craigslist, and exchange Your SGS3 with that of a T Mobile or AT&T SGS3 and then, Use it, to get the best data speeds as well, since You were planning to move out of verizon for good.
But data limit for AT&T is 2.5 GB LTE but for T-Mobile it is unlimited but the coverage is a big problem. Please check Your local coverage.

mspris91888

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my Galaxy S3 from Verizon Model Number SCH I-535 on Straight Talk for the past 1 Year. No issues at all.
Talk works,
Text works
SMS works
MMS Works
All features works, both I can send or receive SMS and MMS and Picture Messaging and Calls
But Data is limited to only 2G or EDGE, because frequencies are not supported. But other than that, everything should be fine.

With Android 4.1.2 update released on Dec. 12, 2012, Verizon made the SGS3 a global phone, which means, no unlocking required at all. Aftre You update to 4.1.2 stock ROM also, You can still use the GSM SIM cards.
I did use Simple Mobile, before I moved to Straight Talk for Good. Got a 1 Year card. No issues at all. Of course data is one more issue.
If I were You, put a ad in craigslist, and exchange Your SGS3 with that of a T Mobile or AT&T SGS3 and then, Use it, to get the best data speeds as well, since You were planning to move out of verizon for good.
But data limit for AT&T is 2.5 GB LTE but for T-Mobile it is unlimited but the coverage is a big problem. Please check Your local coverage.

I have an unactivated/once used sim card when I put it in my Verizon sg3 I get the message that the sim in the phone is a non Verizon sim card. I just got the phone with a contract and I have not activated the phone on the network yet should I DO THAT THEN PUT THE SIM IN?

Stephan Blake

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
NOV 21 2013

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH i535 (WITH MICRO SIM) and wanted to swap to straight talk. Long story short it works and im using internet and all.
I called at first and talked to straight talk and they said no it wont work with my phone. I was disappointed because I spent $63.92 and the drive to walmart was about 25 mins.
So I decided to try it anyway what the hell right? walmart said i had 14 days to bring back the kit and get full refund so i gave it a shot.
In the kit contains 4 sim cards, 2 regular size sim and 2 micro sims. 2 for att 2 for t-mobile. So I decided to try the micro sim for att.

STEP 1 Go to straighttalk.com to the activation screen follow the steps to activate the sim.

STEP 2 Get your Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-i535 (Verizon Only) go to settings , more settings, mobile networks, network mode (switch to GSM/UMTS)

STEP 3 Turn off phone, remove verizon micro sim, insert att sim from Straight talk, turn phone back on wait a few moments and try to make a call to a friend so you can get your new phone #. You will recieve a txt later with your number from Straight talk. If it doesn't work immediately please be patient and double check you are in GSM mode.

STEP 4 To get network working. Go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, access point names.
you will see LTE - Verizon Internet grayed out. hit the setting button (lower left on phone below screen) select add new access point.
Enter only the settings listed below:
Name : Straight Talk
APN : tfdata
Port : 80
MMSC : http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy : mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port : 80

Next
Select the APN you just created.
(You can also find these settings at Straight Talk's web site)
Network is working just fine for me but I notice where it used to say 4G lte it says just "E" with up and down arrows showing transfer data. But its fully functional. Happy satisfied and never had to root anything or hack or whatever the kids do these days. So before I end this post i would like to say Pandora works just fine facebook app and others, But you cannot have an active call and internet at the same time. I really cant remember if verizon does that or not oh well bye bye verizon.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Last edited:

Paul Exter

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Registered just to say, thanks Stephan! Short and to the point, worked like a charm for me. Internet seems pretty slow so far, but that may just be me... anyone know how to tell whether you're getting 2G, 3G, etc. speeds? and what network is my phone on now? AT&T, Verizon, or other?

Stephan Blake

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Same here with slow speeds at times but I'm usually at home or work with free WiFi so whenever i use my data it is slower than Verizon but hey I'm totally satisfied otherwise!

MamaBear14

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
When I first seen your directions to switch Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to Straight Talk, I was a little skeptical. I read on and seen it worked for others. But then I had to click on the grey area that said View Link here for the MMSC which took to Mobile Nations which then asked me to register, I am not sure if it is with Android central.com or what. I don't want to give out my information to any "LINK" so my question is...I have a working Samsung Galaxy S3, but due to Divorce issue, I am taking the phone I BOUGHT, and going to Straight Talk, is the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 going to work still on Verizon Towers, or AT&T cause TMOBILE is bad coverage off interstate, and in a lot of areas :
Name : Straight Talk
APN : tfdata
Port : 80
MMSC : http://mms-tf.net (I Am curious why I had to click on this gray link and why would I have register and to put this link in my phone?)
MMS Proxy : mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Port : 80
Thanks for your help.

Stephan Blake

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
You can retrieve the same info from straight talk's web site. For some reason when you enter a link it needs you to register, but you do not need to click the link at all. It just auto registers it as a web link. Other than that its free and welcome to the forums!

Last edited: