1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy S3 - Tired of waiting, need steady 4G!

So I'm tired of waiting for the 4.3 update, especially if it's unstable. I'm one of the Verizon S3 owners who is experiencing the 4g/WiFi/connectivity issues so well known and was hoping the update would address them. Read that somewhere, but even if it's true I don't want to put up with these issues any longer. So I'm considering flashing a ROM that's 4.3 based since I'm rooted anyway but still have stock rom. (rooted mainly to freeze S3 bloatware and other apps I never use.) I've been reluctant to dive into the ROM world out of fear of "problems" but this latest situation has motivated me to push forward.
    So, I've done some research as to 4.3 based roms but would still like some input as to which ROM is favored among S3 users. I'd also REALLY like to know if any particular ROMS will do anything to help with the issues I mentioned above. That's actually my main goal...to get back to a device that works properly, whichever way best gets me there!
    I'd like to think that since the problems reportably have something to do with a flawed update and buggy radio files that a custom ROM would have all that covered.
    Any input would be appreciated, and thanks in advance

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 - Tired of waiting, need steady 4G!

Why not just flash a new modem and rmp to address your connectivity issues? You can get a few flashable modem and rpm packages here:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I'd suggest going to "About Phone" in Settings, and see what your "Baseband Version" ends with. If you're on the latest Android 4.1.2, you should see MF1 there. I think that it also works with the MB1 modem and rpm packages, but that's about it, so you can try MB1. The MD3 release (Verizon's first try at a 4.1.2 release with Multiwindows as I recall) did not work well, so avoid that one if it's a choice. In fact, if you see MD3 there, that may be the source of your problems, definitely try another if that's the case. If you're on MB1, then try MF1, that's working well for me. As the other poster suggests, this is a minimal change that might solve your problem.

On the other hand, there are other reasons for 4G and WiFi connectivity problems, like not having great 4G coverage available and flaky/misconfigured routers (not uncommon *smile*).

The ROM that I really have been enjoying from a reliability and ability to get away from all the Verizon and Samsung standpoint is CleanROM Seven, which is a "de-bloated" Android 4.1.2 ROM. Very nice, very smooth. In fact, I don't know if I'll take the 4.3 update yet, I may just stay with what's working so well for me. I've been working on the battery usage, and am using it with Lean Kernel 3.2.1 and greenify, and I've got the battery usage below 1% per hour when idling. Not in iPhone territory yet, but getting there *smile*.

Anyways, from what I hear the ROMs that are ahead of Verizon's release for the S3 usually have a few problems, not less problems than say CleanROM Seven. So I'd give that some thought before moving ahead into "leaked" release territory *smile*. Just my opinion.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks very much Blade! I did it last night and It seems to have helped, although I haven't been out and about today to check it out. The biggest problem was that my phone would drop to 3g in places where my previous phone would hold 4g continuously, like basements, metal buildings, etc. Some of the info I read suggested that particular problem was caused by a power management issue where the radio/modem was underpowered and that the 4.3 update would address that. So this work around makes sense. Hoping to see better performance... It certainly didn't make anything worse!
    So thanks for the help!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks MrDoh. I am on 4.1.2 with mf1. I got there as a result of rescuing my phone from a soft brick and ended up having to take several updates including all the ones you mentioned. It was also suggested that if I didn't do a factory reset and clear cash after taking mf1 that I should try doing that, however I re-rooted right after I got that so those actions would have happened when rooting. I'm still going to try that as well as soon as I check the effectiveness of the flash just performed and when I'm sure I'm sufficiently backed up.
    I'm also interested in flashing a ROM and the one you're using sounds as good as any. I'm just not very familiar with flashing kernels so any info you can give, like what it does and if I can flash the ROM without the kernel, would be appreciated. And I have no idea what greenify is
    But thanks for the information. Every little bit helps!

Greenify: is an app for rooted phones that helps you identify and shut down (except when needed) apps that may be causing excessive battery usage.

ROMs normally include a kernel, but there are alternate kernels that you can load for some ROMs that will improve performance or extend battery life (or both). You must be very careful when loading kernels to make sure it's designed for the specific ROM that you're running.

Always be sure that you have a good Nandroid of a running configuration to fall back on before loading a new kernel.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Just an update
    After putting up with the most bothersome problem with this phone(continued loss of 4g signal mainly everywhere except outdoors), I decided to back up and punt. Following reliable instructions found in this forum, I did a nandroid backup, backed up everything I could think of anywhere I could (thanks GSDer!) did a factory reset, cached the clean, used triangle away, then unrooted. The method I followed took me back to the blk3? firmware, then took the latest ota update, assumingly legitimate authorized Verizon firmware. I then did another reset and cache cleaning and stopped there. Before I even signed into Google or reinstalled any apps or changed anything, I took my phone to several of the places (buildings) where I would loose 4g, only to find that the problem still exists.
    What I figured I could conclude at this point is that either the blk3 firmware is the culprit, the mf1 firmware is the culprit, the phone is the culprit, or Verizon has 4g signal problems. The problem with the Verizon theory is that the day before I bought this phone I had fantastically stable 4g everywhere I went, using my completely obsolete Droig Charge. Also, it seems that only a small percentage of S3 owners are having this problem. Not sure how to narrow it down much further other than to try to get the phone replaced, which is sounding more and more like the most logical course of action. I'm just leery of turning in my phone which is/was new only to get a refurbished unit that may or may not have the same issue. I've been holding on to hopes that this 4.3 update that hangs in front of everyone like a hotdog on a stick will " fix" things. Unrealistic expectations I think. I'm actually talking myself into turning in my current phone which seemingly has a manufacturer defect.
    So in closing, I'd like to thank everyone who has put up with my postings for helping me, minimally, to get my phone back to stock status...no binary count, device status normal, clean and returnable. You guys here are awesome!
    I'd also, mainly out of curiosity, like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue with this phone and what they did. Or if someone has an idea that I haven't tried feel free to let me know. Always open to being educated
    Thanks again, and perhaps all this will help someone else.

Too bad you didn't get in on the Black Monday deal that Motorola was doing with the Moto X - if you really are having lousy signal issues, Motorola has some of the best radios in the Android line.

I honestly don't believe that getting a replacement S3 is going to solve your problem. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ironically I did check out the Moto X along with 1 other brand but admittedly got sucked in by the hype of "The Next Best Thing"! I also felt some kind of brand loyalty along with a great history with 3 previous Samsung devices. Never thought I'd be disappointed with Sammy. I love the phone, rooted or otherwise, but am very discouraged with the 4g issue.
    So, Any suggestions as to what the problem may be, or what course of action I could take? Getting the Moto X would be an expensive venture, and merely tolerating the issue is way past getting old. Any opinion as to whether this elusive 4.3 update may affect radio files or RPM? I've seen bits and pieces regarding this but nothing solid.

I haven't seen anything about any of the other carriers 4.3 updates including radio updates. Of course, the Baseband gets updated, but there's been nothing published about actual radio changes.

It's possible that you just got a dud - I haven't had any radio (or specifically 4G) issues, but I certainly didn't have high expectations. 4G was pretty fast back when it was only available on the HTC Thunderbolt, but once it became commonplace I haven't been too impressed. YMMV.

You could re-root and manually reload the radio and RPM files for MF1 just to be certain that you have the latest.

Be forewarned that if you accept the 4.3 OTA (whenever it does become available), you'll be locked in to that build (or newer) - there's no going back to an earlier firmware once the Knox bootloader (part of 4.3) is on your phone. You MAY be able to root 4.3, and even load an alternate Recovery method, but loading other ROMs is questionable. So if you want to be able to safely play the rooting/ROM'ing game, you should reject the 4.3 OTA and wait until the developers publish a 4.3 ROM with the Knox bootloader component removed.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks again for the good info. I think it just boils down to the fact that my phone/this phone gets substandard 4g connectivity. I believe I was spoiled by my old "Samsung" Droid Charge and the great 4g signal that it held everywhere.
    So that leaves me in an interesting position with only a couple undesirable options. I tried flashing the rpm/modem files...thought for a minute that helped, but no, and I don't really see the advantage in rooting/souping up a mediocre device. That leaves just dealing with what I have for now, waiting until the update comes out and defer until people report back as to how it takes, and then make a decision which way to go. The other option would be to get the phone replaced and do the same thing.
    Interestingly enough, after getting my phone back to clean stock status, I called Verizon and after a 45 minute conversation with a tech rep and allowing him to use the remote diagnostics function, he told me that I qualify for a replacement. He evidently could see where my 4 g was dropping in and out. He also told me that as far as the replacement phones go that they typically issue replacement phones that have been turned back in within the 14 day grace period by unsatisfied buyers as long as they have them available and then use refurbished units. He seemed to be pretty competent, but still don't know if I can believe everything he told me.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I haven't seen anything about any of the other carriers 4.3 updates including radio updates. Of course, the Baseband gets updated, but there's been nothing published about actual radio changes.

It's possible that you just got a dud - I haven't had any radio (or specifically 4G) issues, but I certainly didn't have high expectations. 4G was pretty fast back when it was only available on the HTC Thunderbolt, but once it became commonplace I haven't been too impressed. YMMV.

You could re-root and manually reload the radio and RPM files for MF1 just to be certain that you have the latest.

Be forewarned that if you accept the 4.3 OTA (whenever it does become available), you'll be locked in to that build (or newer) - there's no going back to an earlier firmware once the Knox bootloader (part of 4.3) is on your phone. You MAY be able to root 4.3, and even load an alternate Recovery method, but loading other ROMs is questionable. So if you want to be able to safely play the rooting/ROM'ing game, you should reject the 4.3 OTA and wait until the developers publish a 4.3 ROM with the Knox bootloader component removed.

If they're going to give you a free replacement you might as well go for it (after using Triangle Away to reset the flash counter and returning to stock un-rooted). You'll at least find out if it was that particular phone rather than all Samsung Galaxy S3s in general.

If you had to pay the $99 deductible for insurance - well, the Moto G is just $200 off contract, and would probably give you better radios than the Samsung. It doesn't quite have all of the features of the Moto X but it would be a good interim phone until your contract is up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Oh hell! Now the update is out But the good news is that a couple people have said that KNOX isn't in it. So rooting might still be an option. Still gonna wait and see what others have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markctco View Post
    So rooting might still be an option
    Note that rooting the 4.3 build was not the issue - they have successfully rooted 4.3 on other carrier's builds, even with Knox present. They were even able to install alternate Recovery software.

The issue was that it was not possible to revert to a previous build or load a custom ROM, and once you rooted there was a flag in Download mode that showed that you had rooted - Triangle Away had no effect on this (because it's part of the Knox bootloader).

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Note that rooting the 4.3 build was not the issue - they have successfully rooted 4.3 on other carrier's builds, even with Knox present. They were even able to install alternate Recovery software.

The issue was that it was not possible to revert to a previous build or load a custom ROM, and once you rooted there was a flag in Download mode that showed that you had rooted - Triangle Away had no effect on this (because it's part of the Knox bootloader).

Hmmm, mixed feelings about that info. The successes you noted in the first paragraph lend hope to future work arounds for the issues in the second paragraph... But no guarantees! I don't think I'd want to be "stuck"in that state, particularly without the ability to clear the counter. I'd like to think that genius devs will find solutions to all these issues, but not taking the update is sounding more and more attractive. I believe I'll re-root now and keep what I have, and essentially keep the update from being pushed to me. That will give me time to monitor what revisions come out.
    And on another note, the 4g connectivity issues I was having seem to be solved by doing the screw tightening procedure discussed in a different post. Should have thought of that as I've had success with re-seating video, memory, etc cards in CPUs and checking loose connectors and plugs as well.
    So I'm pretty content with what I have, at least for now. I believe I'm part of a small group of people that didn't pounce on that update. It seems to have many drawbacks.
    Again, thanks for the info I keep coming back to you (GSDer) as you seem to have very sensible and logical suggestions.

GSDs are very sensible and logical dogs
    (You should see my Chinese calendar association - year of the Dog, of course)

BTW, I'm still trying to get clarification about whether or not Knox is part of the Verizon release. I chatted with a Verizon Customer Service Representative and posed that question, and she said she couldn't find anything in the release information to indicate that it was included.

I asked one poster that had already updated to 4.3 to provide me some information from the Download (Odin) mode screen, but haven't received a response.

I also don't want to get locked into a situation where I can't load a custom ROM (it's my phone; it's out of the warranty period; I should be able to do whatever I want) so I'm being careful with what I accept.