1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default verizon s3 image

is there any way to copy my stock image before rooting so i can have that if i want to unroot my s3 on a later date? its the sch-i535zkb

Default Re: verizon s3 image

Quote Originally Posted by white-hawk View Post
    is there any way to copy my stock image before rooting so i can have that if i want to unroot my s3 on a later date? its the sch-i535zkb
    Catch-22. You can't do an image (nandroid) backup without a custom recovery installed, so I don't think it's possible.

I no longer own my S3, however, so I may be mistaken, but I don't think that you can install custom recovery or take a nandroid without rooting the phone first.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ok i just bought helium and did a back up of touchwiz home and put it on my pc. would this be what i need? the folder is called com.sec.android.app.launcher on the backup.

From what I just read helium just backs up your apps and data not the rom itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

is there any way to copy my stock image before rooting
    The short answer is no.
    The long answer is that, if Odin can be used to write images TO the phone then perhaps it can be used to grab an image FROM the phone and write it to a file on your PC. I've just never seen anything like that discussed - you might want to ask this question over on XDA.

Anyway, as the previous poster noted, Helium allows you to backup your apps and app data; if you use the Kies software on your PC you can backup your SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, contacts, call logs and TouchWiz settings (most of them anyway).

Edit: if you use a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher: you can export all of your Home screen layout and settings.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

the folder is called com.sec.android.app.launcher on the backup.
    I've never looked inside a Helium backup to see what's stored where - I rely on Helium to be able to reconstruct that stuff.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    The short answer is no.
    The long answer is that, if Odin can be used to write images TO the phone then perhaps it can be used to grab an image FROM the phone and write it to a file on your PC. I've just never seen anything like that discussed - you might want to ask this question over on XDA.

Anyway, as the previous poster noted, Helium allows you to backup your apps and app data; if you use the Kies software on your PC you can backup your SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, contacts, call logs and TouchWiz settings (most of them anyway).

This is true, there are a lot of different apps and methods for backing up *most* of your data, but if you're talking about an actual image-level backup, I'm pretty sure that cannot be done prior to rooting the device.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ok thanks every one i was just want to make sure i can take it back to stock after unrooting if i need to. i been up like for 3 days reading and its all cobbled up together right now lol.