4.3 ota update

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I would like to take the update but I have rooted and unlocked the boot loader. What steps do I need to take.
I'm ok with it if I lose root, I'm sure I can get that back at some later date. I am new to this and not real smart so thank you for your patience and help.

Sent from my rooted, debloated Samsung Galaxy III

carycooke

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say relock phone and odin back to the previous stock tar then take the update through phone

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
So you took the plunge ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I ment that I used casual to root, I have not figured out how to unroot. I tried to install the update and the phone goes into clockwork recovery.

Sent from my rooted, debloated Samsung Galaxy III

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Right now, there is no way back. Every attempt has lead to a hard brick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Dan Thomas1

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Ug! I just did the OTA update and I had Root Keeper installed. I didn't find out till afterward that root keeper doesn't work with 4.3.
Is this the forum to watch if someone finds a way to re-root a 4.3 i535?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Right now, there is no way back. Every attempt has lead to a hard brick.
Are you saying this because someone has tried this on the Verizon build, or because people that tried it with the other carriers OTAs were unsuccessful?

Has it been confirmed that Verizon included the Knox bootloader (which is the reason for all of the trouble)? Should be simple enough to verify if we can get someone that has updated to boot into Download mode and see if the 'warranty' counter is shown.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I took the update and everything seems to be working BUT, on the boot screen I get Samsung custom, software update says the last update failed and device status says "custom" yet as I ment to say, I'm am now running 4.3 with no apparent problems.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I took the update and everything seems to be working
Interesting - I have never had an OTA that ran to completion when my phone was rooted AND had an alternate Recovery (CWM, TWRP) loaded.

Have you run a root checker to see if your phone is still rooted?

Have you tried booting into Recovery mode to see if you still have your custom Recovery?

Can you boot into Download (Odin) mode and list each item as it's shown? For reference, the 4.1.2 (MF1) values were:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Edit: I'm specifically looking for any additions to the list (ex: Warranty: 1)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - I have never had an OTA that ran to completion when my phone was rooted AND had an alternate Recovery (CWM, TWRP) loaded.

Have you run a root checker to see if your phone is still rooted?

Have you tried booting into Recovery mode to see if you still have your custom Recovery?

Can you boot into Download (Odin) mode and list each item as it's shown? For reference, the 4.1.2 (MF1) values were:
ODIN MODE
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official

Edit: I'm specifically looking for any additions to the list (ex: Warranty: 1)

I have lost all root access, I know of no way to boot into recovery, I don't know what Odin mode is. I did not use Odin. I used casual with clockwork mod recovery.

It looks like now clockwork mod has been taken off of the market.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have lost all root access
Thanks for the clarification
I know of no way to boot into recovery, I don't know what Odin mode is.
To boot into Recovery mode, turn the phone completely off. Then press-and-hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling color graphics (not the two static Samsung logo screens).

To boot into Download (Odin) mode just use the Volume Down key rather than the Volume Up key in the sequence above, and release them all when you see the Custom OS screen. (Note: to exit from Download mode, just press-and-hold the Power button until the phone shuts down)
It looks like now clockwork mod has been taken off of the market.
Strange. ROM Manager: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oushikdutta.rommanager.license&token=EoMCfoX8 is still there. Well, I'm sure you can still get it from his website.

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I did something really stupid, I decided to do a factory reset and ended up with the "yellow triangle of death".
I then followed your instructions to get into download mode and this is what I found:

ODIN MODE
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
Warranty Bit: 1
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 1

So now...

UPDATE:

I powered off the phone and then re-started download mode except this time I selected cancel when it asked me if I wanted to download a custom rom AND THE PHONE BOOTED NORMALLY :D.
I don't know if I'm really lucky or what but I am very relieved and I think that I will leave well enough alone ( for a while anyway).

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually, doing a Factory Reset is generally a good idea following a major update. It's too bad you got the Triangle, but good that you were able to recover.

Thanks for the detailed information from Download mode.

Did you perform the Factory Reset from Recovery?

You should wipe the system cache and Dalvik cache from within Recovery when you can.

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought that I was stuck in a limbo and could not do a factory reset. That is how the triangle screen came up. Is there a past to still do a reset? How do I go about clearing the caches? Details will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I did something really stupid, I decided to do a factory reset and ended up with the "yellow triangle of death".
I then followed your instructions to get into download mode and this is what I found:

ODIN MODE
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
Warranty Bit: 1
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 1

So now...

UPDATE:

I powered off the phone and then re-started download mode except this time I selected cancel when it asked me if I wanted to download a custom rom AND THE PHONE BOOTED NORMALLY :D.
I don't know if I'm really lucky or what but I am very relieved and I think that I will leave well enough alone ( for a while anyway).

So let me see if I understand. You were rooted and took the update but ultimately lost root. And now your download mode screen indicates that the phone has been rooted/modified?
Please let me know if I missed something. This is pretty interesting

Posted via Android Central App

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
So let me see if I understand. You were rooted and took the update but ultimately lost root. And now your download mode screen indicates that the phone has been rooted/modified?
Please let me know if I missed something. This is pretty interesting

You are correct, when I reboot, the Samsung boot screen says Custom and shows an unlocked padlock. When I tried to do a factory reset, I got the Verizon yellow triangle of death "your phone was found with unauthorized software." I'm glad that it's working but disjointed that I lost root.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually, doing a Factory Reset is generally a good idea following a major update. It's too bad you got the Triangle, but good that you were able to recover.

Thanks for the detailed information from Download mode.

Did you perform the Factory Reset from Recovery?

You should wipe the system cache and Dalvik cache from within Recovery when you can.

How is it a good idea to do a factory reset after OTA? If you are not rooted, and therefore backed up with Titanium or the like, setting the phone back it will take forever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer