1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Want to Root my Verizon Galaxy S3

Hi< can someone help me step by step rooting my phone to have access to the full file system.

Thank you

Pablo

Default Re: Want to Root my Verizon Galaxy S3

This is a great video that I used. Pretty thorough. Just make sure you have not already updated to 4.3 or else I see a fancy paperweight coming your way.

And just a heads up, doing a regular boot up after you have rooted you may get a screen that says "Software not recognized by Verizon Wireless, please take your phone to the nearest store" or something like that, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT. All you need to do is boot it up like you were going into download mode (Vol Down + Home + power button) but hit cancel (Vol. down) when asked to go into download mode and it will reboot just fine.

I would suggest downloading EZ-Unlock (Version 1.2) just to make sure that your bootloader is unlocked and then you should be good to go. I would go ahead and just flash CM 10.2 since it is stable now and then you can go from there. There are plenty of threads about how to install CM. Just be sure to also grab the g-apps and flash those as well.

Good luck!

Thanked by:

I know this question has been asked several times but I'm only able to get bits and pieces. I made the mistake of upgrading my verizon samsung galaxy s3 to the 4.3 version. I had it unlocked before using Odin. The update obviously kicked it out. How am I able to safely root/unlock it now? Some people are saying that I'm not able to because of Verizon blocking some type of bootloaders rights. I'm terrified of bricking my phone. Someone please help!!! :-)
    Thanked by:

I just today rooted my GS3 for the first time. I also upgraded to 4.3 when it became available. I used the saferoot method and it worked fine!

Thanked by:

But can you unlock your bootloader after taking the 4.3 update, or just root? If you can unlock a 4.3 bootloader, that's interesting, because I've heard that it isn't currently do-able? Having root access and an unlocked bootloader are two different things...you can't successfully flash a new ROM unless you have an unlocked bootloader, although you can do a certain amount of playing around if you have root access with a locked bootloader.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    But can you unlock your bootloader after taking the 4.3 update, or just root? If you can unlock a 4.3 bootloader, that's interesting, because I've heard that it isn't currently do-able? Having root access and an unlocked bootloader are two different things...you can't successfully flash a new ROM unless you have an unlocked bootloader, although you can do a certain amount of playing around if you have root access with a locked bootloader.
    Unless they release safestrap for us. Safestrap allows you to flash roms to smaller partitions of the phone while leaving stock loaded

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Mason View Post
    How am I able to safely root
    Here's a direct link to the original post
    ([ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2: