Help with Odin and 4.3

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So I did saferoot and like a ***** I tried to install a custom rom well now every time in turn my phone on it says something about software not authorized by Verizon. Can I use Odin to fix this? If so is there a tutorial anywhere?

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Another thing it said the same thing yesterday everytime I cut the phone on the all of the sudden I tried to cut the phone on and it started working again so I then tried to factory reset my phone and now it's doing it all over again

Posted via Android Central App

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So I got my phone to turn back on. If anyone finds this form here's how I did it. Just hold the power, home and volume down buttons until it starts Odin mode then click the down key to cancel and my phone booted right up. I don't know if this was just a fluke but it worked for me. Hope this helps anyone having this problem

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you still have the custom ROM loaded? If so, I think you're skating on thin ice.

If you want to get back to stock 4.3 you might be able to load the update.zip through Recovery mode. I don't know if you could flash it via Odin (I'm not sure what the difference between an OTA and flashable firmware is).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree. When a device is acting like this, something is up. What ROM did you flash?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded cyanogenmod using the rom manager app. Also I can't boot my phone into recovery mode, every time I try to boot in recovery mode I get that message that I have unauthorized software. Maybe if I use saferoot to relock the phone I can boot into recovery?

Bruntainia

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 16GB.. My mobile provider is AT&T. I Used Odin (Odin3 v3.09) with my devices' PIT file (I downloaded it from the xda-developers site --> here S4 SGH-I377 16gb PIT I was having difficulty trying to use a custom ROM. I ended up .. I guess semi-bricking my phone..I guess you can call it...Please hang with me and have mercy. I am NOOB but stumbled on this method kinda throughout an entire night. I am just trying to help others get some good rest :) I have only had an Android Phone for like (2) weeks. I know, it;s bad how fast I mess things up LOL

1. Ran Odin and selected the following check-boxes ___(1) Auto Reboot (2) Force Partition (3) F. Reset Time. (boxes should be pre-selected for you)____PIT.PNG PIT file is in the above paragraph..

2. Downloaded MF3 TARs.rar\JellyBean from --> here MD5/JB

3. On my device.. I powered down, quickly removed the battery, then replace battery,and simultaneously held Vol Down/Power Button/Home Button. Approx 3-4 Seconds a message in green text prompted me to press vol-up continue (custom OS) or down restart phone.. Press up..custom OSscreeen.jpg

4. Ran Odin again, opened the the MD5.TARs file found in (step 2), loaded the files in the following order... 1. BOOTLOADER 2. PLATFORM 3. MODEM 4. CSC. mf3_files_in_odin (2).PNG

5. Clicked Start. Booted right up

Truly hope this helps you!

Bruntainia-

PS. -

I sourced the above listed hyperlinks from http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php. A very useful site for Android Devs. **Much respect, thanks and props to that Site management team!!**

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if I use saferoot to relock the phone I can boot into recovery?
I can't tell from your timeline if the problem with Recovery mode is due to updating SuperSU or due to loading CM. I think it's the latter, but I guess it can't hurt to relock it and see.

Did you check to see if your phone actually boots into Download mode?
It should look something like this:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
Warranty Bit: 0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes it's from trying to install cm 10.2 stable and yes it will boot into download mode. I tried to factory reset my phone from the settings mode (after trying to load cm failed) and that's when it goes to that screen saying unauthorized software take to nearest Verizon store. Once I get home I'm going to attempt to re-lock it and try to wipe phone

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am just trying to help others get some good rest
Welcome to the forums!
And thanks for participating - that's what makes the forums work.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no files similar to what you used available for the S3 on Verizon. Since Verizon was late to the party with the update to 4.3, development is behind the curve.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So I unrooted my phone and same thing. Gave me that unauthorized software screen. It shows my phone is unlocked maybe that's why. How do I lock my phone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
honex97,
Rather than guessing your best bet would be to post on XDA and see if they can help you. Since there no files available there's nothing for you to flash in Odin, and the only tool that I'm aware of to lock/unlock the device doesn't support 4.3.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
honex97,
Rather than guessing your best bet would be to post on XDA and see if they can help you. Since there no files available there's nothing for you to flash in Odin, and the only tool that I'm aware of to lock/unlock the device doesn't support 4.3.

There will be a file eventually though right? Right now my phone is working just fine I just can't factory restore it so if there will be an Odin file at some point I can wait

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that there will be a file at some point. There are already releases for the GT-i9300 on Sammobile; just have to wait and see.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
See http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3357249
(4.3 update link) for what looks like the file that should set everything back to stock (un-rooted), after which you can re-root and then leave well enough alone. Understand that I don't have 4.3 installed and can't verify this for you - I just saw the post.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
so i finally got around to trying that and odin keeps getting stuck on setting up connection and ive looked all around and tried everything with no avail but i was looking on kies and theres an option for emergence firmware recovery. would that work?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Odin v3.09? I've seen several posts on XDA that make it seem like you have to use that version if you're flashing a 4.3 ROM. Could just be a bad assumption on my part.

Anyway, if you've used Odin or Kies on your computer before there shouldn't be any weird connection issues.

In answer to your question, you should be able to use Kies to update the firmware, but I haven't had a phone jacked up like yours when I've used it.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I fixed it FINALLY!!!! It took me hours. I tried everything. Different USB ports, different USB cord, restarting my phone and computer many times and scoured the Internet. Finally I went into device manager removed anything that had to do with my phone reinstalled kies re-did all the drivers and that worked so now I'm back to stock unrooted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy