Verizon S3: Looking for rooted 4.3 flash?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Looking for rooted 4.3 flash?

Is there a guide for people that have a rooted GS3 on 4.1.2 and want to update it rooted to 4.3? I'm kinda new to all this stuff and don't want to lose my files on my phone.

The only guide that I'm aware of is the xda-developers thread referenced in the OP in this thread. If you have files on your phone that you don't want to lose, I'd recommend backing them up to your PC via USB. Then I get those backed up with Carbonite on my PC, so very unlikely to lose them.

Heiral

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

I've been reading comments in threads and people have been saying things like don't update it OTA and all that stuff and it's kind of confusing.. Instead of not updating it OTA would it be updated through the computer or something.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I've been reading comments in threads and people have been saying things like don't update it OTA and all that stuff and it's kind of confusing.. Instead of not updating it OTA would it be updated through the computer or something.

Yes, I updated from 4.1.2 (CleanROM 7) as well. It really is easy, just be careful to only flash the ML1 ROM and ML1 modem (2 flashes), and NOT *any* ML1 firmware. While the ML1 ROM that you'll be flashing is the same update for the core phone software that's in the OTA, you're avoiding the ML1 firmware, which contains the deadly KNOX malware *smile*. The method of flashing is described well in the xda-developers posting.

The newest version of this ROM contains the Aroma installer, which gives you the ability to customize your ROM while it is being installed. I installed both of the previous ROMs, the original one (VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_12_31_2013.zip), and then the debloated one (VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_01.07.14.zip), but not the new, latest one with the Aroma installer. From what I'm reading, there may be some bugs to be fixed in the new ROM with the Aroma installer, so I'd wait on that one, maybe a day or two, if that's your choice. It was a lot of work to do to install both ROMs, and then re-set up the phone for each one, but I learned a lot about what's in 4.3 in the process *smile*. I'm pretty much done now, all de-bloated, and using the Lean Kernel. Idle battery usage is running just under 1% per hour for me with the Lean Kernel, and the 4.3 update is much prettier and smoother around the edges than 4.1.2, so I'm happy with how it's all ended up. This phone has to last me until October of this year, so it's nice to get a new look at this point.

A couple of cautions:

1. Update your custom recovery, TWRP 2.6.3.1 is best.

2. Make a nandroid backup before you update. And then make one after you're done updating, when you're pretty happy with your shiny new phone. It's really good to have sane recovery points if you make a mistake, and I know that I make them...that's how I learned to make nandroid backups *smile*.

Enjoy!

Heiral

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I updated from 4.1.2 (CleanROM 7) as well. It really is easy, just be careful to only flash the ML1 ROM and ML1 modem (2 flashes), and NOT *any* ML1 firmware. While the ML1 ROM that you'll be flashing is the same update for the core phone software that's in the OTA, you're avoiding the ML1 firmware, which contains the deadly KNOX malware *smile*. The method of flashing is described well in the xda-developers posting.

The newest version of this ROM contains the Aroma installer, which gives you the ability to customize your ROM while it is being installed. I installed both of the previous ROMs, the original one (VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_12_31_2013.zip), and then the debloated one (VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_01.07.14.zip), but not the new, latest one with the Aroma installer. From what I'm reading, there may be some bugs to be fixed in the new ROM with the Aroma installer, so I'd wait on that one, maybe a day or two, if that's your choice. It was a lot of work to do to install both ROMs, and then re-set up the phone for each one, but I learned a lot about what's in 4.3 in the process *smile*. I'm pretty much done now, all de-bloated, and using the Lean Kernel. Idle battery usage is running just under 1% per hour for me with the Lean Kernel, and the 4.3 update is much prettier and smoother around the edges than 4.1.2, so I'm happy with how it's all ended up. This phone has to last me until October of this year, so it's nice to get a new look at this point.

A couple of cautions:

2. Make a nandroid backup before you update. And then make one after you're done updating, when you're pretty happy with your shiny new phone. It's really good to have sane recovery points if you make a mistake, and I know that I make them...that's how I learned to make nandroid backups *smile*.

Enjoy!

Thanks alot for this! I will look into it :)

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I flashed this tonight, after making a nandroid backup of my CleanROM Seven state, so that I can go back to that if I want. Do have TWRP recovery and an unlocked bootloader (of course), and flashing the ML1 "ROM" and modem with TWRP worked fine. After that, froze a whole load of stuff with Titanium Backup, set up Greenify with the xposed framework and so on, and things are looking good. I like the look of this one, but I can just flash another ROM if I want to. Made another nandroid backup when I had it all installed and mostly configured, just in case I made a subsequent mistake so that I wouldn't have to start over *smile*.

Never saw the queries about fixing recovery that they mention on boot, apparently that happens if you're using CWM recovery.

Looking good, interested to see if I see a difference in the radios from the ML1 modem flash.

Im running 4.2.1 rooted stock with unlocked bootloader with Baseband VRBMF1. In what order do i flash? Do i flash the rom then the ml1 modem? or do i just flash the rom? thanks for your help guys!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You have to flash both the ROM and the modem; it doesn't matter what order you flash them in - if you wanted to, you could flash just the modem and use it with your current firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
You have to flash both the ROM and the modem; it doesn't matter what order you flash them in - if you wanted to, you could flash just the modem and use it with your current firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

If I make a backup on TWRP, will reverting back to the backup, also revert the modem?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I make a backup on TWRP, will reverting back to the backup, also revert the modem?
It should restore the Baseband from the backup, but I'm not enough of an expert on TWRP/CWM to say for sure. Sorry.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It should restore the Baseband from the backup, but I'm not enough of an expert on TWRP/CWM to say for sure. Sorry.

I'm reading on the original post on xda and he doesn't mention anything about flashing the modem. Also there is no clear download link.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

A couple of cautions:

Enjoy!

In the original post on xda, the ROM download is pretty clear, but what other zip do I need? I want to do this right and this my only phone so I really don't want to mess it up.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Arrgh! The OP changed the original post from when I first loaded things, and completely removed the link to the modem file. You'll find it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1788313

Is it this link?
"My recommendation: if you aren't already on MF1 firmware (below), flash that. Then update your baseband with this: http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/modem..._ML1_modem.zip"

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Is it this link?
"My recommendation: if you aren't already on MF1 firmware (below), flash that. Then update your baseband with this: http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/modem..._ML1_modem.zip"

Yes, that should be invisiblek's thread, the one with the ML1 modem download. Personally, I usually flash the ROM first after doing the full factory wipe in TWRP recovery, then the ML1 modem, but that's just my preference. After that I flashed a couple of other things...since I used the de-bloated ROM zip from 1/8/2014, and it had the battery percentage surrounded by a circle, plus the blue notification screen top line icons (I like the OEM green ones *smile*), I also flashed the "revert" zip. It basically reverts the added theming that the OP did. Then the Lean Kernel 4.0, which really helped me with battery usage.

Do flash the modem, though, since the MF1 modem does not play well with this 4.3 ROM. On the other hand, I'm really liking the ML1 modem, working much better than MF1 ever did for me.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Yes, that should be invisiblek's thread, the one with the ML1 modem download. Personally, I usually flash the ROM first after doing the full factory wipe in TWRP recovery, then the ML1 modem, but that's just my preference. After that I flashed a couple of other things...since I used the de-bloated ROM zip from 1/8/2014, and it had the battery percentage surrounded by a circle, plus the blue notification screen top line icons (I like the OEM green ones *smile*), I also flashed the "revert" zip. It basically reverts the added theming that the OP did. Then the Lean Kernel 4.0, which really helped me with battery usage.

Do flash the modem, though, since the MF1 modem does not play well with this 4.3 ROM. On the other hand, I'm really liking the ML1 modem, working much better than MF1 ever did for me.

I understand that the modem can increase connectivity and signal strength. But what does the kernel do. Does it just change behind the scenes, or is there any visual difference?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

But what does the kernel do. Does it just change behind the scenes, or is there any visual difference?
If you flash a different kernel you won't SEE any difference; you may notice a difference in performance or battery life, but only if you keep track of those items while running one kernel for awhile and then switch to a different kernel and monitor the same items.

I'd suggest just flashing the ROM and modem and then use your phone for a couple of weeks. Then you can decide if you want to switch to a different kernel.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I understand that the modem can increase connectivity and signal strength. But what does the kernel do. Does it just change behind the scenes, or is there any visual difference?

Yes, as the other poster says, there is no visual difference between kernels, just battery usage and perceived smoothness of scrolling, menus, etc. (performance). Personally, I wouldn't waste two weeks with the dkp kernel (original kernel that comes with the ROM) unless I had to. I felt the dkp kernel was using a lot more battery than I like to use at idle, and I used the Lean Kernel for several months with CleanROM 7 and already knew that it worked well for me. It was pretty obvious from the battery usage when I wasn't using the phone that the dkp kernel was using more battery than I was comfortable with, and nothing that I did could get it into a more comfortable battery usage until I was able to switch to the Lean Kernel. So I didn't flash the Lean Kernel immediately, I did give the dkp kernel a good chance. But that's totally up to you, you can stay with the dkp kernel if you want, as long as you want. And you can flash any kernel that will work with your ROM any time you want, no problem...if you go to another kernel to try it out, you can flash yet another kernel if you want to. So it really doesn't cost anything to change kernels. I would advise you to make a nandroid backup (full backup with TWRP), though, before flashing a new kernel in case things don't go well so that you have a recovery point. I haven't had to recover yet because of flashing a kernel, but you put enough work into setting up a ROM the way that you want it to want to not lose that work. In fact, I'm paranoid enough about it that I back up my nandroid backups to my PC, and then again back them up from there. I hate having to do the same setup work over again *smile*.

By the way, in the latest version of the ROM, using the Aroma installer, you can pick the Lean Kernel when you setup the ROM while installing it. That's what I would have done in the first place, if that option had been available *smile*.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Yes, as the other poster says, there is no visual difference between kernels, just battery usage and perceived smoothness of scrolling, menus, etc. (performance). Personally, I wouldn't waste two weeks with the dkp kernel (original kernel that comes with the ROM) unless I had to. I felt the dkp kernel was using a lot more battery than I like to use at idle, and I used the Lean Kernel for several months with CleanROM 7 and already knew that it worked well for me. It was pretty obvious from the battery usage when I wasn't using the phone that the dkp kernel was using more battery than I was comfortable with, and nothing that I did could get it into a more comfortable battery usage until I was able to switch to the Lean Kernel. So I didn't flash the Lean Kernel immediately, I did give the dkp kernel a good chance. But that's totally up to you, you can stay with the dkp kernel if you want, as long as you want. And you can flash any kernel that will work with your ROM any time you want, no problem...if you go to another kernel to try it out, you can flash yet another kernel if you want to. So it really doesn't cost anything to change kernels. I would advise you to make a nandroid backup (full backup with TWRP), though, before flashing a new kernel in case things don't go well so that you have a recovery point. I haven't had to recover yet because of flashing a kernel, but you put enough work into setting up a ROM the way that you want it to want to not lose that work. In fact, I'm paranoid enough about it that I back up my nandroid backups to my PC, and then again back them up from there. I hate having to do the same setup work over again *smile*.

By the way, in the latest version of the ROM, using the Aroma installer, you can pick the Lean Kernel when you setup the ROM while installing it. That's what I would have done in the first place, if that option had been available *smile*.

If you flash a different kernel you won't SEE any difference; you may notice a difference in performance or battery life, but only if you keep track of those items while running one kernel for awhile and then switch to a different kernel and monitor the same items.

I'd suggest just flashing the ROM and modem and then use your phone for a couple of weeks. Then you can decide if you want to switch to a different kernel.

Thanks guys! It really helps to have all this info and know works. I really want to do this, but I couldn't screw up. You have all been very helpful.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Guys! This is so awesome! It works lije a charm. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to drop a thanks to the op but you both were very helpful.

Kenny Parsons

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I am noticing a problem with the battery percentage. Under settings-display - I show the battery percentage toggle. Every time I turn off my screen tho, the percentage next to the battery icon disappears. Is there a fix for this?

judsonmiller

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks I hope my questions aren't too noob-ish. I am interested in rooting my S3. I rooted and loaded a custom ROM on my old Droid Charge just to practice. That went smoothly (Odin, CWM, and Tweaked Lite 1.0 ROM). Really when it comes down to it I just want adblocker, no bloatware, and wireless tethering. I have been mucking about with Pimp My ROM and think it would be great to use that to increase battery life/get beats audio/improve GPS as a bonus.

So here is the question, I accepted the 4.3 OTA. It sounds like that is bad. Can anyone explain why it is bad? From what I gather reading here and xda is that I cannot unlock the bootloader and something about KNOX (knox?). Do I really need to unlock the bootloader? For the things I mentioned above can I just run a rooted stock ROM with a CWM recovery?

Thanks so much!!