Factory Reset on Rooted S3

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My S3 is rooted and I will be upgrading to a S5 soon. When I go to sell my S3 I want to delete all of my personal information so I am thinking that I should do a factory reset. When I do the factory reset will my S3 still be rooted (guessing no) but I want to make sure so when I sell I do not mislead the buyer.

Thanks for your help.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It'll still be rooted after a Factory Reset.
If you want to undo that your best bet would be to reload the firmware using Odin.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I really just wanted to know so that when I sell it I tell the buyer the right information. I am guessing that most people would prefer a rooted phone.

Thanks for the response

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of another similar issue.

If I were to root my new S5 does that mean I would never be able to do a OTA upgrade without deleting the root?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I were to root my new S5 does that mean I would never be able to do a OTA upgrade without deleting the root?
I don't have an S5 so I can't give you a guaranteed answer, but if it's similar to the S3 then the answer is - it depends. It depends on the root method and what it changed, as well as what you've done with root privileges. For example, if you've frozen or deleted any built-in apps (bloatware or system apps) there's a high likelihood that the OTA will fail to install.
If you used a simple root method like Towelroot and haven't mucked with the system then the OTA will probably work, but there's also a good possibility that the phone will no longer be rooted when it's done. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I rooted the S3 with Towelroot and when I get the S5 I am hoping I will not find it necessary to root it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay