Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mud314
  • 1 Post By kath00
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default $30 upgrade fee

Just ordered my S3 in blue. I totally forgot about the fee til it smack me in the face when I went to check out. What a ripoff this is. I'm upgrading to stay with Verizon. I'm not new. Been down with VZ for 10 years. Be prepared to be smack on your way out

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by droid83; 06-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Default Re: $30 upgrade fee

Get rid of NE2 and add an upgrade fee. BRILLIANT!

I had forgotten this as well. However, I got to thinking about it, and I'm not so convinced it's such a big deal. When I ordered my wife's Bionic a year ago, it was $300 right out of the gate. Here, we're getting the hottest new phone for $250 after taxes (for a 16GB model). Are we paying $30 more than a TMo/Sprint customer? Yes, but that's nothing new. I think this is just a way for Verizon to charge the same amount they always would, but keep the sticker price level with their competitors.

Not that I'm happy about it...

Yup. Went to pre-order but when it was all said and done with the $30 upgrade fee and taxes, I'm looking at more than half of buying it off contract. Not worth it and I refuse to pay Verizon $30 for the privilege of signing another contract. They can KMA. From now on I'm either buying off contract or just going to wait a month or two and nab a gently used one off eBay or CL for $100 or so over the 2 year contract price. When you figure in the cost of the phone at $250, Upgrade fee at $30, tax to bring it to about $300 and the fact that the ETF fee of $350, I'd just as soon buy it retail.

I had a $30 upgrade discount so it was a wash for me.

Still bs to charge a $30 upgrade fee.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

Fyi all the other carriers charge it. It was just a matter of time before verizon jumped on the bandwagon. AT&T and sprint actually charge more $36.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Yes, for whatever reason I was "eligible" and the $30 upgrade fee was waived. Will be checking the mail for my S3..

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

I agree that carriers are just down right stupid w/their charges. Greed.
    Procrastinate now, don't put it off.
    zak123321 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Yup. Went to pre-order but when it was all said and done with the $30 upgrade fee and taxes, I'm looking at more than half of buying it off contract. Not worth it and I refuse to pay Verizon $30 for the privilege of signing another contract. They can KMA. From now on I'm either buying off contract or just going to wait a month or two and nab a gently used one off eBay or CL for $100 or so over the 2 year contract price. When you figure in the cost of the phone at $250, Upgrade fee at $30, tax to bring it to about $300 and the fact that the ETF fee of $350, I'd just as soon buy it retail.
    Glad you see the light JoJo...

Last time I bought from eBay from a supposedly well established seller, the phone didn't turn on. I would rather pay the $30 fee to know that I have a brand new phone, not one that was potentially dropped in a toilet somewhere. Just another thought...
    mud314 likes this.

Yes they are getting like the banks, just try to nickle and dime you. Never mention one word until you get your invoice. I have been a customer for almost 20 years never late on payments and they will do whatever to try and make an extra nickle. I hope if enough people they may realize how they are taking advantage of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Get rid of NE2 and add an upgrade fee. BRILLIANT!
    Upgrade fee has been there for a while, IIRC, didn't have anything to do with NE2 disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikman View Post
    Fyi all the other carriers charge it. It was just a matter of time before verizon jumped on the bandwagon. AT&T and sprint actually charge more $36.
    Don't bring logic into this Verizon bashing thread!!!
    Thanked by:
    MatrixMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Upgrade fee has been there for a while, IIRC, didn't have anything to do with NE2 disappearance.
    There was no upgrade fee prior to April 2012. The only fee was an activation fee for add-a-lines or new accounts.