ICS storage space

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how much storage space ICS uses? Wondering how much storage would be left avaliable on the 16gig version

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So what does that mean exactly? I can't put apps on the SD at all? Or do I just have to move them over manually?

Also, does ICS have the ability to let me record videos and take pictures directly to the SD card?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It means that apps can't b moved to external SD card. Depending on how they set up memory.u either get 3gb or all the memory for apps like the Nexus. There is no manual way to move apps either so apps like apps2sd will not work.
So what does that mean exactly? I can't put apps on the SD at all? Or do I just have to move them over manually?

Also, does ICS have the ability to let me record videos and take pictures directly to the SD card?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

yes you can record pictures and video to the sd card.

mg2380

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So it would probably be a safe bet to buy the 32GB version then? 11.35GB isn't that much space for the bigger games out there... Modern Combat, Nova, etc...

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It means that apps can't b moved to external SD card. Depending on how they set up memory.u either get 3gb or all the memory for apps like the Nexus. There is no manual way to move apps either so apps like apps2sd will not work.

Well, that's dumb as hell.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, the apk itself can reside on the system memory, while the app's data can still be saved on the SD card. So it's not as tragic as it sounds.

In other words, for a large game the actual ~50 MB apk stays on the system memory, while all of the downloadable app data (~ 1GB, for example) can still be saved and run from the SD card.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
All the internal memory can be used for apps on the S3 just like the Galaxy Nexus. So even if you have the 16GB version, you will still have more than enough storage space for apps. That's a whole ~11GB for apps!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, that's dumb as hell.

In previous Android iterations, like Gingerbread, there was a defined app space, and it was 512MB (like my OG Evo) or 2GB (like my E4GT) or anywhere in between. Earlier models only had 100MB, and after the bloatware was installed, there was very little app space left.

Since running out of app space was a real issue, apps2sd was born. This allowed you to move most of the program files for an appropriately coded apps to the SD card. For a lot of Android phones, this was a necessity. After a while, I had to delete apps on my Evo just to install new ones. That was after I had already moved all the apps I could to SD.

With ICS, there is no "app space" anymore. While it's possible to use all of your internal memory installing Gameloft games, it's not really an issue for most users.

If you are concerned about app space, you should think about the 32GB model.