Locking in unlimited data by pre-order may not be necessary?

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I average around 2 gigs a month and once I had 5 gigs when I was in Hawaii for a week with no wifi. I also use wifi when I'm home. We don't have 4g here yet but I assume when we get it my data will go up 1-2 gigs.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I think they only gave customers about 3 weeks last year when they decided to eliminate the unlimited data. I remember scrambling to get my DD a data plan and a cheap used phone since she's a heavy user of multimedia.

I would rather be safe than sorry. If preordering assures that we don't get left out of the loop (and it sounds like this phone could take a month to receive), it's a great way to assure that in the next 30d Verizon doesn't force me into a quick decision (like buying a current phone when a nice new one is around the corner).

The good thing is that we have 14d to play with the S3 and therefore buy 2 more weeks to trade it in if there are problems and STILL maintain the unlimited data.

K

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think they only gave customers about 3 weeks last year when they decided to eliminate the unlimited data. I remember scrambling to get my DD a data plan and a cheap used phone since she's a heavy user of multimedia.

I would rather be safe than sorry. If preordering assures that we don't get left out of the loop (and it sounds like this phone could take a month to receive), it's a great way to assure that in the next 30d Verizon doesn't force me into a quick decision (like buying a current phone when a nice new one is around the corner).

The good thing is that we have 14d to play with the S3 and therefore buy 2 more weeks to trade it in if there are problems and STILL maintain the unlimited data.

K

3 weeks was more than enough time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Either way I was ready to update the incredible.Now just waiting on when Vzw gets them in to ship them out.

I changed my mind and got a 32GB card instead of 16GB it will be here Monday

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, as I've said elsewhere, I don't see VZW suprising everyone with capped data all of a sudden. That's not the way they do things.

That said, I also don't see VZW getting any other phones more compelling prior to unlimited data being gone.

-Suntan
The way they do things? You don't consider pulling the plug on our assumed DropBox memberships and adding an upgrade fee was a backhand to their customers? Verizon doesn't even surprise me anymore with the crap they pull. If I had good coverage from any other carrier in my area I would switch today!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The way they do things? You don't consider pulling the plug on our assumed DropBox memberships and adding an upgrade fee was a backhand to their customers? Verizon doesn't even surprise me anymore with the crap they pull. If I had good coverage from any other carrier in my area I would switch today!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

First off, VZW never promised you extra dropbox. If anything, you should be mad at Samsung for making a reference to something that you mistook as an iron clad promise.

Second, yes. That isn't the way VZW does things. When they decide to screw their customer, they come right out and say it well in advance, they don't spring it on them suddenly. They are always pretty clear in explaining how they are going to screw their customers and they always notify their customers of the impending screwing well in advance, giving said customer plenty of time to prepare.

I don't disagree that VZW is going to take our unlimited data at some point. I am saying that they won't just flip a switch one day and catch us all completely unaware.

-Suntan

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Can u restate that question ? I'm not sure what you mean.

If I begin my VZW plan on June 20 and then I change my plan on August 1st when will my 2 yr commitment end? If it doesn't end until Aug 1st then will my phone upgrade eligibility be June 20 or August 1st?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The only risk is if they run out of preorders, then give a 2 week notice that goes into effect before the phone releases, or more preorders are available

I'm not sure I follow this. I think pre-erder simply means you've ordered before the phone is available. I don't think they only take "pre-order" to match the number of phones they think they'll have, then stop taking orders

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If I begin my VZW plan on June 20 and then I change my plan on August 1st when will my 2 yr commitment end? If it doesn't end until Aug 1st then will my phone upgrade eligibility be June 20 or August 1st?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Changing your plan doesn't impact your upgrade or contract end date so it would still be June 20th.

vfrpete

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
All this urgency to pre-order has me thinking that VZW created this situation. Maybe they made this announcement before release of the GS3 specifically to boost sales by making people want to "lock in" before a change.
Which is just what I did- pre-ordered a GS3 since my Fascinate is just about dead and I don't want to be caught out waiting for my date to arrive (August) and lose my unlimited data.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All this urgency to pre-order has me thinking that VZW created this situation. Maybe they made this announcement before release of the GS3 specifically to boost sales by making people want to "lock in" before a change.
Which is just what I did- pre-ordered a GS3 since my Fascinate is just about dead and I don't want to be caught out waiting for my date to arrive (August) and lose my unlimited data.

There really is no urgency until Verizon announces the new policy changes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I preordered right away because I have an almost 2 year old Droid X and I can't wait to get the new GSIII, as it is the best VZW has to offer and probably will be for a few months or more. Locking in my unlimited data is a plus, but they have stated publicly that they will announce the end of unlimited (with upgrade) well before the change occurs, so... not a big part of my decision to pre-order.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

VZW doesn't care what phone you get. They just care that you keep paying your monthly bill.

In fact, they would rather you not upgrade your phone if you have an upgrade available. The longer they can keep you paying your monthly bill without using your discounted upgrade, the more money they make.

So I don't think they are "trying" to get anybody to upgrade to the SGSIII. Certainly not when they are being strong-armed into only charging $200 for it.

-Suntan

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
how many of you are actually going over 2 gb a month?
and if you do .... do u use wifi at home ?

i dont go over 2gb , but i do switch to wifi at home and i do not stream a ton of music.

I am on att with a data cap of 3gb. It sucks because i can't do what i want with my phone. Because of this i only use 1.5gb a month. Im scared of going over by 1 mb and getting charged for 1gb. Netflix is a no no outside of wifi, i do very little YouTube watching on 3g. Att wins big time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I think that it's safe to say that VZW will cut off upgrades with unlimited data plans before the next iPhone drops.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
VZW doesn't care what phone you get. They just care that you keep paying your monthly bill.

In fact, they would rather you not upgrade your phone if you have an upgrade available. The longer they can keep you paying your monthly bill without using your discounted upgrade, the more money they make.

So I don't think they are "trying" to get anybody to upgrade to the SGSIII. Certainly not when they are being strong-armed into only charging $200 for it.

-Suntan

You are right. They make more money on customers that dont upgrade when due as they are charging you the same price as they are charging customers who used a subsidy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is the logic that I've been operating on. Sure, you guarantee that you get the SIII and keep unlimited data by pre-ordering now, but Verizon will definitely announce a date before the change. Its not like we'll all wake up one day and its gone. The only risk is if they run out of preorders, then give a 2 week notice that goes into effect before the phone releases, or more preorders are available. Given the high profile of this device, I don't see them doing that.

I'm waiting to hear a date, and hoping that the Razr HD comes out before the switch as well. It's been "coming soon" much longer than the VZW version of the SIII, so it may drop before then as well. I have 2 upgrades available, and I'd prefer to burn one on a new Razr HD first, then get the SIII a few days later. As much as I prefer Samsung to Moto, from personal experience I can say I'd feel much better with having the extended warranty on a Samsung than a Moto, if I have to pick just one. ;)

I pre-ordered because this looks like a great phone and this gives me until July 23 (assuming I get it on July 9) to decide if this is the phone for me. I have been looking for a great LTE phone (and hoping the Dinc LTE would be out) since the beginning of the year (don't want to wait until after they stop unlimited - although even though I average 1.5 GB a month - that is too close to 2 GB (min plan) for my comfort. Also, if something comes out before it ships I can just cancel and re-order whatever I want (don't think I will even lose the exchange privilege if I change the order before it is delivered). Also, I think the pre-orders will be heavy and I think it may be a while before you can check it out in a store. The price is right (no 16 GB $299 like the GNex) and I think the 32 GB for $249 is a great deal (I can tell how much the micro SD slows down my Dinc 2 - even with a class 10 (although the Dinc 2 may not use/recognize the faster card - no one has specified which phones can use full speed). I am wary about the size (a little bigger than the GNex which I thought was a little big last Dec. when I checked it out) but I am willing to give it a full two weeks (with a restocking fee if necessary). The specs are great, I can always use a different launcher (Nova/Apex) if Touchwiz is too invasive and I don't think I will notice pentile moving up from a WVGA screen. Not too worried about waiting until July 9th since I am happy with my Dinc 2 in a non-LTE area.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
First off, VZW never promised you extra dropbox. If anything, you should be mad at Samsung for making a reference to something that you mistook as an iron clad promise.

Second, yes. That isn't the way VZW does things. When they decide to screw their customer, they come right out and say it well in advance, they don't spring it on them suddenly. They are always pretty clear in explaining how they are going to screw their customers and they always notify their customers of the impending screwing well in advance, giving said customer plenty of time to prepare.

I don't disagree that VZW is going to take our unlimited data at some point. I am saying that they won't just flip a switch one day and catch us all completely unaware.

-Suntan

That's one thing that is true. I remember last year when they stated they were ending unlimited data it gave me enough time to lock it in (I actually got a Palm Pixi Plus CHEAP ($55) off contract and had a great experience with WebOS for 6 months). I pre-ordered because the S3 looks like a great phone and I'm willing to take a chance to give it a full 14 days with nothing new since last December on Verizon (the Razr Maxx doesn't count).

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan

Verizon don't care which phone I upgrade to. But I think they do prefer me to upgrade and extend 2 year contract extension as soon as I'm eligible. They always run the risk I'm moving to another carrier if I'm not bind by contract. $199 - $50 discount = $149 for the S3 is very attractive incentive to stay with Verizon especially I get to keep my unlimited data.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I preordered right away because I have an almost 2 year old Droid X and I can't wait to get the new GSIII, as it is the best VZW has to offer and probably will be for a few months or more. Locking in my unlimited data is a plus, but they have stated publicly that they will announce the end of unlimited (with upgrade) well before the change occurs, so... not a big part of my decision to pre-order.

Exactly. If one wants their phone first, as I did when I stood in line at a VZ store for the first BB Storm (yes, laugh at me now), yes order it. An added bonus of maintaining unlimited data, yes. Just don't rush to order it just for the data.

I'm still hoping to see it first at a store but am willing to order it if they announce the data change first. I got the Galaxy Nexus 1st day out and returned it the next day. It just didn't feel good to me, I wasn't diggin' the "pure android" experience without a UI from HTC or Sammy.