What did Verizon tell you about keeping unlimited data?

Yay, or Nay?

• Total voters

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
When you placed a preorder? I've read many conflicting reports on this matter about being able to lock in your unlimited data plan if we preorder before the new plans take effect on the 28th.

I was told that if I activate the phone after the 28th then I will NOT be able to keep the unlimited data plan. It doesn't matter if I placed the order before the 28th, I must have the phone in hand and activated before the new plans take effect. No way in hell Verizon will ship before then. I might have to settle for the Nexus or Razor Maxx :mad:

Someone give me some hope!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When you placed a preorder? I've read many conflicting reports on this matter about being able to lock in your unlimited data plan if we preorder before the new plans take effect on the 28th.

I was told that if I activate the phone after the 28th then I will NOT be able to keep the unlimited data plan. It doesn't matter if I placed the order before the 28th, I must have the phone in hand and activated before the new plans take effect. No way in hell Verizon will ship before then. I might have to settle for the Nexus or Razor Maxx :mad:

Someone give me some hope!

You didn't agree to the new plan when you pre-ordered the phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Trust me you can pre order you s3 and lock in your unlimited plan. What a lot of people don't understand, when you pre order your s3. You have to sign an 2 agreement to get this phone at the discounted price. The purpose for the pre order is locking down for 2 more years, the agreement is sign already. VZ would not send you a phone without the agreement for this discounted price. They need this first before you receive a phone. They can send you a phone and you change your mind after you received the phone. They are more concern with locking you down for 2 more years than really the phone. They make their money with locking down 2 more years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Ry

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So they will not send a phone discount price without an agreement. When you pre order online trust me, they will you on your computer in order to get the s3 for $199 or $249 price you have to sign an agreement for 2 years. After you sign the agreement you will get a confirmation email, details of your agreement and also what plan you sign. This is what I received with my confirmation email. Also in that email it shows my unlimited web and email $29.99

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
If you pre order the s3 before the 28th you keep your unlimited plan. It's been confirmed everywhere now. I dunno why this keeps coming up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why this is still an issue. As it stands now, yes, you keep your unlimited data if you preorder. When you're going through the pre-order process, you have the option to select a data plan, and your Unlimited plan is the selected option, you then agree to the terms and conditions of extending your contract, and are then sent a confirmation email listing Unlimited Data as one of the features of the plan you just "signed" a contract for.

Granted, the contract doesn't go into effect until you receive and activate your device, but the contract you agreed to is for a plan with Unlimited Data, they can't just change that without going through the entire process again and making you select a new data package and agreeing to the updated terms and conditions. This would be extremely difficult to implement, and greatly complicate the process of activating a new phone even for users uninformed enough not to realize that they're losing their Unlimited Data. Besides, they couldn't implement it for those of us with existing 4G LTE smartphones, as the SIM itself is activated, and not the phone. I have a Razr, so I already have the microSIM, and can just pop it in and fire it up. Thus, they would have to use multiple methods to force people to do what you're suggesting.

There's also the issue that statements are pretty widespread that Verizon will allow you to keep it if you pre-order. And the fact that many reps in stores and on the phone are telling customers this. And that there is NOTHING to indicate that you may lose your data plan by the time the phone ships. If Verizon planned on forcing us to change even if you pre-order, they would already have issued a high-priority internal memo to prevent CS reps from telling customers blatant lies.

Verizon will have enough of a PR nightmare with this change as it is, they don't want to add a high-profile class action lawsuit to their plate. Personally, I think their hand was slightly forced, as they had to keep up with the other carriers on the GS3 before they had time to announce the new plans. Verizon implements changes for the worse all the time, but they do announce them at least 2 weeks in advance, so they couldn't just rush this on us the same day as the GS3 announcement. They allowed GS3 pre-orders because everyone else did, and didn't force you to change data plans as they hadn't announced the new pricing structure yet. Now that they have, they could feasibly change the preorder options to force pre-orders to change to a new plan going forward, which is why I submitted my order today, but I honestly don't see them doing even that.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the link biff! I feel better now lol, damn rep I spoke to earlier got me all worked up! In addition to reading some others on here who were told the same thing as me.

Phew! :p

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got off chat from talking to a verizon rep, who also confirmed, if the G3 is pre-ordered before the 28th, for those of us on the unlimited plan, we can keep our unlimited... no worries mate...now i'm debating if I want the G3 , I really don't have many options on any other phone on VZ's network that's as good as or better than the T-bolt, other than the G3.. If anyone else knows of one.. I"m open for suggestions... I:m really not a motorola fan, so that narrows down my options.. and HTC hasn't released a decent phone since the T-bolt... if im wrong, please advise or send me a pm... I'd be happy to look into other options..

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If you can get the s3 go with tht. If u can't I would go with the nexus, however if razar maxx get ice cream go with razar Max's.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you pre order the s3 before the 28th you keep your unlimited plan. It's been confirmed everywhere now. I dunno why this keeps coming up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
Vzw made the news here last night on 11pm news basically saying what you did, and what I already knew.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I was told by 3 online reps, 2 phone reps, and one Twitter rep that we will be keeping unlimited, and no matter where you pre-ordered from.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not really adding anything to the conversation at this point, but I also confirmed via chat that the preorder lets you keep your unlimited. And yes, when I ordered my phone I had to go through the whole process of "picking" my plan, which was still unlimited. I even took a screenshot with the "unlimited email/data $29.99" checked because it's the last time I'll ever see that... Maybe I should print it off and put it in a time capsule. :-*

On another note, I can't believe all the people that are freaking out in news story comments about this, both on local tv news sites and even on the yahoo news story. Yes the new plans suck, but everybody seems to think Verizon is forcing them to this new plan immediately, nobody knows you have to upgrade/sign a new contract to get moved to it. Obviously not everybody reads AC. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze