Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

ROM
    Synergy

Default Re: Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

From what I've read Samsung is using Pentile Amoled which reduces burn in/degradation better than what they used in the SII. So avoid using the phone with a static image for long periods of time and you'll be fine.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Go get Dead Pixel Detect in the Play Store...run through the different colors and you will see real quick if you have any burn in. On my Galaxy Nexus I dont have any at all and have never seen one with any...but have heard about it on the boards so maybe me and my friends/family just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by kbullock View Post
    Go get Dead Pixel Detect in the Play Store...run through the different colors and you will see real quick if you have any burn in. On my Galaxy Nexus I dont have any at all and have never seen one with any...but have heard about it on the boards so maybe me and my friends/family just lucky.
    Just did it on my og Dinc.... No burn in .... I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
    Crap... That what I had planned on doing too. I use Dock Clock on my S3 (which has an adjustable orbit setting to minimize screen damage) but now I'm afraid to use it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

i think might have a burn in. i just realized it 2 days ago and i am so upset about it. i have the same as you are explaining, but i can see the spot even when the display is off. it appears like a white spot on a black screen.

is it a burn in? and how was it caused?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by mesayed View Post
    i think might have a burn in. i just realized it 2 days ago and i am so upset about it. i have the same as you are explaining, but i can see the spot even when the display is off. it appears like a white spot on a black screen.

is it a burn in? and how was it caused?
    If the display is off and it shows I don't believe it's burn in. If you want a good example of burn in go to a Vzw store and look at their display model galaxy Nexus and Droid charge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I had this issue on 4 out of the 5 Gnex's that I went through before I got Verizon to switch me out for a razr maxx and I always kept my screen brightness lower then 50%. My Gs3 has had no signs of any kind of burning yet from day one there are quite a few large specs in my screen that can only be seen in low light conditions or at night that appear only on black backrounds like the notification bar. This issue also plagued my razr maxx but after going through so many Gnex's I just kept it because the phone actually worked. I'm heading over to Verizon tonight to show them this issue and the fact that my phone takes 3-5 hours to charge but the tech would literally have to take the phone into a darkened room to see these imperfections in the screen. Motorola was aware of the issue and I read somewhere that they wouldn't replace any units as it didn't effect the day to day functionality of the phone. With my GS3 i paid full retail and there should be no defects in a flagship device. The Gnex was notorious for screen burns and banding but Samsung supposedly upped the screen quality on the GS3 but not enough to give the tech a different title then super amoled hd. I really wish that the one x had been released on Verizon because I've never had this many issues with the 3 different htc phones that i had with Sprint and the Super lcd 2 screen that is used on the one x and evo lte is just amazing. I love the saturation of amoled screens but there are too many issues with them.
    Hello Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    With the OLED screen comes burn in for every phone that has had it. And I've seen reports from XDA about Europe owners who have already seen it on the S3. Namely keyboard, status bar (and what's in it), and if you use your phone as a desk clock.

The screen is the most used feature on a Smartphone, Just about everytime you use the phone you have to look at the screen, and I do a lot of internet surfing/ video watching.
    People freak out over a dead pixel or dust under the screen so how people cope with burn in on a 600$ device?

Any ideas? Concerns unfounded?
    You guys need to stop freaking out over some BS probly posted by apple fanboys. Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time...geez come on. I have never seen or heard of and issues with this so I rack it up to some paranoid freaks that like to spread rumors. This is by far the best display I have ever seen and used including the retina display.
    Stop freaking out and scaring others, use your phone as much as you want it has a one year manc. warranty and you can purchase add protection if your still worried.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopperGS3 View Post
    You guys need to stop freaking out over some BS probly posted by apple fanboys. Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time...geez come on. I have never seen or heard of and issues with this so I rack it up to some paranoid freaks that like to spread rumors. This is by far the best display I have ever seen and used including the retina display.
    Stop freaking out and scaring others, use your phone as much as you want it has a one year manc. warranty and you can purchase add protection if your still worried.
    Educate yourself. Burn in is a problem with ALL AMOLED screens. It is a defect in the technology itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Educate yourself. Burn in is a problem with ALL AMOLED screens. It is a defect in the technology itself.
    What was I thinking? I must just be really lucky then since ive been using amoled displays since they came out for phones and have never had a problem even with heavy and continous screen use. And neither has anyone of my friends that have them as well. You can keep ur education, I'll take my experience and apparent luck any day. Just remember every time you turn on the screen your display could burn it at any second, so dont use it.

What was I thinking? I must just be really lucky then since ive been using amoled displays since they came out for phones and have never had a problem even with heavy and continous screen use. And neither has anyone of my friends that have them as well. You can keep ur education, I'll take my experience and apparent luck any day. Just remember every time you turn on the screen your display could burn it at any second, so dont use it.
    Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens. It will manifest itself if you're using your phone at full brightness for long periods of time.

Global Posts
    6,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I never had screen burn in on any of my phones with Amoled screens.Those phones being the Incredible,Nexus and S3.When my screen is on I dont have the same image showing for hours at a time.I have played games for 30-45 minutes at a time with few moving images tho and still havent had any signs of screen burn in .
    So I dont agree with the fact that its a known fact of life with Amoled screens like its going to happen to everyone 100% of the time,it is interesting that it seems to affect some and not others though regardless if the screen is at full brightness or not.

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Had the Samsung fascinate for almost 3 years before switching to S3. I used it as an alarm clock, navigation, played games, pandora and even used the app caffeine to keep my screen on at all times when using the phone and never experienced the burn in on the screen. Just because someone can post some forums where people are having problems with screen burn in does not mean the overall population is experiencing the issue nor does it mean it is common.

Thanked by:
    MERCDROID and rockhopperGS3 like this.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens. It will manifest itself if you're using your phone at full brightness for long periods of time.

I'm sure that in theory that could happen, but in practice I have not seen it yet. I only run max brightness. I'm sure my screen will outlast the useful life of my phone before it becomes obsolete.

I'm also sure if I go to the store and look at a display model that has the screen on 12 hours a day would have it but who da hell keeps there phone on for that long? Average on screen time for a heavy user is usually 3-4 hours day. That screen should last more than 2 full years at max brightness like that. I will however not use my phone as a clock on a cradle because the risk is not worth it.
    Rev2010 likes this.

Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens.
    Just for the record, burn in is a fact of life with pretty much every type of screen technology. LCD's burn in all the time, even Samsung has a support page that acknowledges that while significantly less susceptible to burn in as LCD's and Plasma, LED's can indeed also suffer burn in when a static image is left on long enough and frequent enough.

As s14tat said, who needs to keep their phone on for hours at a time on the same screen, and much less at 100% brightness? I'd be more concerned about my eyes using a screen for hours at full brightness. I also would never use the phone as a desk clock - the one example where I could see burn in occurring.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

If you really want to see burn in and not just boast that it doesn't exist then go to a Vzw store and look at their display models of the samsung Charge and galaxy Nexus. I know these phones get left on a lot but if someone was using their phone as a desk clock at work or something the same issue would arise. Normal use shouldn't do it. First hand results posted on this Site and others are enough accounts unless the apple conspiracy theories are that grand.

On the other hand I've had this phone since release day and no burn in, the pentile matrix is supposed to help prevent burn in so maybe it's working. I also don't leave the screen on static images for long times though (and this is the key...)

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

I run at 100 percent brightness at all time and have not expierenced a burned image or even a trace of image retention aka ghosting.

However I also do not leave static images on the screen for hours on end.

That being said, Ive been told of one case where a S3 store demo unit had been taken out of service because it had burn in. It was explained that this happened because some how the demo loop had frozen and the image stayed on the screen for hours and hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    Just for the record, burn in is a fact of life with pretty much every type of screen technology. LCD's burn in all the time, even Samsung has a support page that acknowledges that while significantly less susceptible to burn in as LCD's and Plasma, LED's can indeed also suffer burn in when a static image is left on long enough and frequent enough.

As s14tat said, who needs to keep their phone on for hours at a time on the same screen, and much less at 100% brightness? I'd be more concerned about my eyes using a screen for hours at full brightness. I also would never use the phone as a desk clock - the one example where I could see burn in occurring.

Rev.
    Except here's the thing: burn in happens on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology.

ROM
    CM10

Except here's the thing: burn in happens on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology.
    "burn in *can happen* on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology"

-Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    If you really want to see burn in and not just boast that it doesn't exist then go to a Vzw store and look at their display models of the samsung Charge and galaxy Nexus. I know these phones get left on a lot but if someone was using their phone as a desk clock at work or something the same issue would arise. Normal use shouldn't do it. First hand results posted on this Site and others are enough accounts unless the apple conspiracy theories are that grand.

On the other hand I've had this phone since release day and no burn in, the pentile matrix is supposed to help prevent burn in so maybe it's working. I also don't leave the screen on static images for long times though (and this is the key...)

Some people, who would be foolish enough to say it doesnt exist at all, someone like you that just makes stuff up maybe.
    What I said, "Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time". *****, try reading the posts first before you respond to them.

Here's the thing.... I have an AMOLED screen mp3 player for more than 3 years with no sign of burn in whatsoever.

I've not yet seen one person here complain of burn in on their S3. I've so far only seen tons of posts talking about it second hand.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

I've had my gnex since May and am noticing burn-in so it is real. I don't use full screen brightness either. Easiest way to notice it is to watch a full screen YouTube video that has a lot of white. It then becomes obvious where the top menu bar was and the bottom on screen buttons. It's not enough to make me want to replace the phone but noticeable nonetheless. This is after 4 months of use. Didn't notice it when I had my nexus s.

So yes, amoled burn-in is very real.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can we maybe get back to the topic of the S3 and burn in? All I've heard so far are Galaxy Nexus burn in issues, which no doubt are very real but it's an older phone and not the S3,even though some say it's the same screen it's likely not the exact same screen.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Can we maybe get back to the topic of the S3 and burn in? All I've heard so far are Galaxy Nexus burn in issues, which no doubt are very real but it's an older phone and not the S3,even though some say it's the same screen it's likely not the exact same screen.

Rev.
    But it's the same tech, you made a point that you had a mp3 player that is years old... So just saying

It's a very possibility with an amoled screen. Wouldn't keep me from buying one but people should be aware.

The gs3 probably hadn't been out long enough for any to have an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rev.
    Samsung has acknowledged its an issue, and the international versions manual explicitly says its a known issue with AMOLED screens. Samsung also put out a statement saying they would replace screens under warranty that suffer from it.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    But it's the same tech, you made a point that you had a mp3 player that is years old... So just saying

It's a very possibility with an amoled screen. Wouldn't keep me from buying one but people should be aware.
    Exactly, but it's an alarmist mentality. I already mentioned in my post a few posts up that any screen tech is subject to burn in, but JHBThree said it will happen on AMOLED (specifically) even with non-static images, and my Cowon S9 MP3 player doesn't have the slightest trace of it after over three years of daily use. I've even watched movies on it while on airplanes many times.

I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't feel it applicable since burn in usually happens when images are kept statically on the screen for long periods, but since he said it happens on AMOLED even without static images then I had to mention my MP3 player.

I still don't see floods of posts in here about burn in on the S3, still don't recall seeing a single one other than worried pre-buyers. I think we'd see a lot more by now if it were a real serious problem especially being the rest of the world got the S3 before the USA did.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast