Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
With the OLED screen comes burn in for every phone that has had it. And I've seen reports from XDA about Europe owners who have already seen it on the S3. Namely keyboard, status bar (and what's in it), and if you use your phone as a desk clock.

The screen is the most used feature on a Smartphone, Just about everytime you use the phone you have to look at the screen, and I do a lot of internet surfing/ video watching.
People freak out over a dead pixel or dust under the screen so how people cope with burn in on a 600$ device?

Any ideas? Concerns unfounded?

Reactions: Mercury81

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive had the gs2 for 9 months, use the car dock and desktop dock constantly and its never been an issue. Of course its not pentile

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Ive had the gs2 for 9 months, use the car dock and desktop dock constantly and its never been an issue. Of course its not pentile

Pentile has nothing to do with screen burn in. I have had various phones with amoled screens and never had any burn in issues.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Can you see the status bar burn in when you're using a app that takes the whole screen?

I wonder why there is so much discrepancy when people claiming burn in vs no burn in? Is there that much variance in hardware or is it down to some people have better/acute eyes?

For your people with no burn in issues- Do you typically always have the screen on higher or lower brightness?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any screen burn in's on any of my phones with amoled screens, those being the original incredible, and the GN.
I never had liked to have my screen brightness turned up really bright.
My screen brightness is 1/4 brightness I don't need it any brighter.:) I guess it all depends on your preference tho.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: Forgetful

9ks2k

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
never had this issue... maybe someone should make an app with scrolling white bars like how they have it built into my Panny 50" Plasma tv.

Reactions: paul-c

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just doing a quick search in the Galaxy Nexus section shows many threads and many people complaining about burn in. And I heard the Galaxy Nexus had just about the same screen as the S3 (except for side of course). Is this right?

Why can they just use a nice SLED2 :(

My plan is to have this phone for my entire contract so Im scared to get a dud. Stupid Verizon is forcing my cards to take advantage of a subsidized phone and retaining unlimited data

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ive had image retention on every nexus i've been through, and with this being the same screen as the nexus, it was an automatic pass

image retention is basically temporary "burn in"...lasts about 5-10 seconds, very annoying

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The only thing holding me back from this phone is the display and possible (but unlikely with the new chipset) radio issues.

Burn in? 2012? Please.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was so psyched to get this phone and now because of this I'm not. I've already ordered cases for it so it's not like I can call Verizon and tell them to cancel my order. I have to have a new phone by the 28th to secure unlimited data. :mad: Grrrr!!!

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was just reading wikipedia.org and saw this:

The organic materials used in AMOLED displays are prone to degradation over a period of time. However, technology has been developed to compensate for material degradation.

That makes me feel a bit better.

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought the screen on the s3 is the same as the galaxy nexus just brighter on s3. There is no burn out on my Gnex screen. I use my keyboard all the time!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I keep the brightness on my Gnex at the highest level, still no burn in or burn out. Not seeing this burned issue. By the way everyone who ever seen my gnex screen says it is gorgeous. Especially when I show them a HD movie from Netflix!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For any one who hasn't seen burn in themselves.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1606237

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1509123

Lots of discussion in these threads. I just can't fathom how this is acceptable to manufacturers and users. -Having to tip toe around not having a image displayed for more than 5 minutes or needing to hide the status bar when surfing the net.:confused: Even check out YouTube, I saw a video where the. 9 or so dots from the "password/drawing protected " lockscreen were burnt in.

Does anyone have a guess or explanation as to why some phones exhibit burn in and some don't. Thanks for the input from you guys that have no issues with your phones, it gives me hope.

Boooo on Samsung for pentile (assuming I can see it like on other pentile phoned), and booooo on them for OLED. I really want a new phoneand the S3 is the best out there right now, I'm just a stickler for the most important part in interacting with my precious.

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
never had this issue... maybe someone should make an app with scrolling white bars like how they have it built into my Panny 50" Plasma tv.

I use those scrolling white bars on my Panasonic plasma, too. Great feature for a tv, overkill for a phone I think.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use those scrolling white bars on my Panasonic plasma, too. Great feature for a tv, overkill for a phone I think.

Overkill on a TV too.

I wish my 9 year old Panny plasma would get some burn-in so I could justify replacing it.

-Suntan

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I have burn in on my GNex.. I can almost make out what looks like clock numbers going across the middle of the screen.. brownish color only really visible when I'm viewing a white background.. example, a web page. From this thread I actually just figured out what it's from... I use my phone as an alarm clock at night and use the app Bedside which displays a digital clock across the screen.. it runs 8-10 hours a night.