Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Default Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

With the OLED screen comes burn in for every phone that has had it. And I've seen reports from XDA about Europe owners who have already seen it on the S3. Namely keyboard, status bar (and what's in it), and if you use your phone as a desk clock.

The screen is the most used feature on a Smartphone, Just about everytime you use the phone you have to look at the screen, and I do a lot of internet surfing/ video watching.
    People freak out over a dead pixel or dust under the screen so how people cope with burn in on a 600$ device?

Any ideas? Concerns unfounded?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts

Ive had the gs2 for 9 months, use the car dock and desktop dock constantly and its never been an issue. Of course its not pentile

Default Re: Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1978 View Post
    Ive had the gs2 for 9 months, use the car dock and desktop dock constantly and its never been an issue. Of course its not pentile
    Pentile has nothing to do with screen burn in. I have had various phones with amoled screens and never had any burn in issues.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1978 View Post
    Can you see the status bar burn in when you're using a app that takes the whole screen?

I wonder why there is so much discrepancy when people claiming burn in vs no burn in? Is there that much variance in hardware or is it down to some people have better/acute eyes?

For your people with no burn in issues- Do you typically always have the screen on higher or lower brightness?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I haven't had any screen burn in's on any of my phones with amoled screens, those being the original incredible, and the GN.
    I never had liked to have my screen brightness turned up really bright.
    My screen brightness is 1/4 brightness I don't need it any brighter. I guess it all depends on your preference tho.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:

never had this issue... maybe someone should make an app with scrolling white bars like how they have it built into my Panny 50" Plasma tv.
    Thanked by:
    paul-c 

ROM
    Rooted .621, SynergyROM

I've seen horrible screen burn in on the demo Nexus phones at the Verizon store but those are on all day every day.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Just doing a quick search in the Galaxy Nexus section shows many threads and many people complaining about burn in. And I heard the Galaxy Nexus had just about the same screen as the S3 (except for side of course). Is this right?

Why can they just use a nice SLED2

My plan is to have this phone for my entire contract so Im scared to get a dud. Stupid Verizon is forcing my cards to take advantage of a subsidized phone and retaining unlimited data

rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

ive had image retention on every nexus i've been through, and with this being the same screen as the nexus, it was an automatic pass

image retention is basically temporary "burn in"...lasts about 5-10 seconds, very annoying

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

The only thing holding me back from this phone is the display and possible (but unlikely with the new chipset) radio issues.

Burn in? 2012? Please.

I was so psyched to get this phone and now because of this I'm not. I've already ordered cases for it so it's not like I can call Verizon and tell them to cancel my order. I have to have a new phone by the 28th to secure unlimited data. Grrrr!!!

I was just reading wikipedia.org and saw this:

The organic materials used in AMOLED displays are prone to degradation over a period of time. However, technology has been developed to compensate for material degradation.

That makes me feel a bit better.

I thought the screen on the s3 is the same as the galaxy nexus just brighter on s3. There is no burn out on my Gnex screen. I use my keyboard all the time!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I run my screen never any brighter thsn 50% unless i am outside. I have no burn in at all on my S2.

From My SGS2ET4G Using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I keep the brightness on my Gnex at the highest level, still no burn in or burn out. Not seeing this burned issue. By the way everyone who ever seen my gnex screen says it is gorgeous. Especially when I show them a HD movie from Netflix!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

For any one who hasn't seen burn in themselves.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1509123

Lots of discussion in these threads. I just can't fathom how this is acceptable to manufacturers and users. -Having to tip toe around not having a image displayed for more than 5 minutes or needing to hide the status bar when surfing the net. Even check out YouTube, I saw a video where the. 9 or so dots from the "password/drawing protected " lockscreen were burnt in.

Does anyone have a guess or explanation as to why some phones exhibit burn in and some don't. Thanks for the input from you guys that have no issues with your phones, it gives me hope.

Boooo on Samsung for pentile (assuming I can see it like on other pentile phoned), and booooo on them for OLED. I really want a new phoneand the S3 is the best out there right now, I'm just a stickler for the most important part in interacting with my precious.

Last edited by Forgetful; 06-17-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9ks2k View Post
    never had this issue... maybe someone should make an app with scrolling white bars like how they have it built into my Panny 50" Plasma tv.
    I use those scrolling white bars on my Panasonic plasma, too. Great feature for a tv, overkill for a phone I think.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    I use those scrolling white bars on my Panasonic plasma, too. Great feature for a tv, overkill for a phone I think.
    Overkill on a TV too.

I wish my 9 year old Panny plasma would get some burn-in so I could justify replacing it.

-Suntan

Why can't they use the same screen they make for apple.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

I have burn in on my GNex.. I can almost make out what looks like clock numbers going across the middle of the screen.. brownish color only really visible when I'm viewing a white background.. example, a web page. From this thread I actually just figured out what it's from... I use my phone as an alarm clock at night and use the app Bedside which displays a digital clock across the screen.. it runs 8-10 hours a night.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
    Why can't they use the same screen they make for apple.
    Because Apple will have a rip sh*t fit and sue them! Due! Do you live under a rock?! :P

Lol JK! Id rather have the HOX screen anyways. Screw Apple's old technology!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    I have burn in on my GNex.. I can almost make out what looks like clock numbers going across the middle of the screen.. brownish color only really visible when I'm viewing a white background.. example, a web page. From this thread I actually just figured out what it's from... I use my phone as an alarm clock at night and use the app Bedside which displays a digital clock across the screen.. it runs 8-10 hours a night.
    Haha! My old Palm Pre- is my bedside clock and no burn in for me!

So the S3's screen is that bad huh?...And Gnex for that matter...Sad in our day and age! It really is.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
    CP2

ROM
    stock (for now)

I've had a SGS Fascinate since the day they shipped on VZW - my phones haven't been afflicted by burn in, but possibly because I often change screens, and always use auto-rotate and use landscape mode often, even if it's in the dock, it uses the ICS alarm clock with a moving time.

However - I know it can happen. I received as an insurance replacement a refurbished unit that had the Samsung dock image burned into the display - it was like pulling teeth to get Asurion to understand what I meant.

So it seems it's all about how you use it. If you're one to leave the screen on high brightness and left on all day, you may want to reconsider those habits. But for those complaining why not use a SLCD.... once you spend time with the infinite contrast & deep blacks that AMOLED can give you, it's hard to go back to an LCD display.
    -CP2 |Cliff|
    Galaxy S (Fascinate) to Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue 32GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Overkill on a TV too.

I wish my 9 year old Panny plasma would get some burn-in so I could justify replacing it.

-Suntan
    Yeah, you're right. I've only used it a couple times. Any little traces that stick on the screen go away quickly anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Because Apple will have a rip sh*t fit and sue them! Due! Do you live under a rock?! :P

Lol JK! Id rather have the HOX screen anyways. Screw Apple's old technology!
    You really call that screen old tech? Wow.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast