Keep existing sim card?

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So we're upgrading my sons Razr Maxx and while doing so it asked if we wanted to keep existing sim card. Can someone please explain exactly what this means? Why would one want to keep their existing similar card? He plans on selling his Maxx so would it not need a sim card in order for the new owner to use it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you can keep the sim and use it in your gs3. you can get a new one too if you want to.

the sim card is tied to your account, so the new owner would have to get his own. it is free from Verizon anyway.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
When i ordered( also have a maxx) it told me I needed a new card so idk but all that means is they will send a new card with the phone or you can use the one you have. Nothing will change other than having to activate the new sim.

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so when we go to sell the old phone, then we should always take the sim card out? Just want to clarify.
Thanks

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't matter.. as long as you deactivated the phone with Verizon.. which you would have to do anyways when they swap the phones on your line.

If I'm not mistaken.. the SIM Card also automatically deactivates itself after 24-48 hrs without being in use. So if you take the SIM out of the phone for a day or so and then try to put it back in.. it will no longer be useable.. you would have to pick up a new one through Verizon.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter.. as long as you deactivated the phone with Verizon.. which you would have to do anyways when they swap the phones on your line.

If I'm not mistaken.. the SIM Card also automatically deactivates itself after 24-48 hrs without being in use. So if you take the SIM out of the phone for a day or so and then try to put it back in.. it will no longer be useable.. you would have to pick up a new one through Verizon.

That doesn't make sense to me. What if your phone is off? I'm sure it wouldn't deactivate then, but the sim card is not being powered at that time. How would they know if you took it out when its not on?

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That doesn't make sense to me. What if your phone is off? I'm sure it wouldn't deactivate then, but the sim card is not being powered at that time. How would they know if you took it out when its not on?

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

Think that's just if the sim is inactive (i.e. you activate a phone that doesn't require a sim and leave it on there for a day or so.)

From the review of the Sprint model there is no sim card slot, it is internal:

"Oh, and like on the HTC EVO 4G LTE, the Galaxy S III's LTE SIM card is internal, meaning there's nothing to swap out"

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii-review#hardware

Verizon's will likely be different as all of their LTE devices require are using a removable SIM. Also the Verizon Pre-Order confirmation says
"Additional Items
DFILLSIM3FF-A $0.00
Shipping Fee $0.00"

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
SG3 has a microsim which wont work in any other phone and others wont work in SG3
Sim card can store account info and phones #s too

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Okay.. I remember what it was now.. its for users who like to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G devices.. a problem that first arised when the HTC Thunderbolt was introduced.

Here's the info on it:
There are different scenarios with SIM cards; sometimes the card can be used again and other times it would need to be replaced. Below are some scenarios that will help answer this question for you, as well as other users of 4G devices.

If: You already have a 4G device and change your phone number
Then: The SIM card remains active and does not need to be replaced

If: You change from a 4G device to a 3G device
Then: The 4G SIM card retires at midnight.
...original 4G SIM can be re-used with the same MDN (Mobile Directory Number)if the technology change back to 4G is processed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the 3G change was initially completed.
...After 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required in order for the line to go back to 4G.

If: You have a 3G device and you change to a 4G device and get a different phone number
Then: The 4G SIM card remains active on existing number when swapped into a different device
...if 4G SIM types are the same, the original 4G SIMs may be used with other 4G Verizon Wireless devices.
...if 4G SIM types are different, the 4G SIMs are not interchangeable. A new 4G SIM for each MDN is required.

If: You port out your service to another
Then: The 4G SIM card retires at 12:00 a.m. ET (Midnight)
...original 4G SIM can be re-used with the MDN if the port out disconnect is reversed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the port out was initially completed.
...after 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required.

If: You port in from another carrier
Then: A new Verizon Wireless 4G SIM is always required.

Reactions: CVisk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I deactivated a 4GLTE smartphone in the morning, by that evening(well before midnight) , it was not usable. Luckily I had a few spare.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay.. I remember what it was now.. its for users who like to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G devices.. a problem that first arised when the HTC Thunderbolt was introduced.

Here's the info on it:
There are different scenarios with SIM cards; sometimes the card can be used again and other times it would need to be replaced. Below are some scenarios that will help answer this question for you, as well as other users of 4G devices.

If: You already have a 4G device and change your phone number
Then: The SIM card remains active and does not need to be replaced

If: You change from a 4G device to a 3G device
Then: The 4G SIM card retires at midnight.
...original 4G SIM can be re-used with the same MDN (Mobile Directory Number)if the technology change back to 4G is processed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the 3G change was initially completed.
...After 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required in order for the line to go back to 4G.

If: You have a 3G device and you change to a 4G device and get a different phone number
Then: The 4G SIM card remains active on existing number when swapped into a different device
...if 4G SIM types are the same, the original 4G SIMs may be used with other 4G Verizon Wireless devices.
...if 4G SIM types are different, the 4G SIMs are not interchangeable. A new 4G SIM for each MDN is required.

If: You port out your service to another
Then: The 4G SIM card retires at 12:00 a.m. ET (Midnight)
...original 4G SIM can be re-used with the MDN if the port out disconnect is reversed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the port out was initially completed.
...after 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required.

If: You port in from another carrier
Then: A new Verizon Wireless 4G SIM is always required.

The deactivation is instant. As soon as you change to the 3G phone the sim is garbage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jared Miller

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Now, I've got a question..
Say I have a phone with an already active sim card, and another phone that also has an active sim card. Both on the same plan and all.
If I take the sim card out of one of them, and put the other one in it, would I be able to use the sim card i took out in the same phone again without any trouble; but just by simply putting it back in when finished?

kattai11

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I've upgraded my HTC Incredible 2 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 - I want to upgrade my mom's basic phone to my old HTC. Will I need a new SIM card or can I activate the existing SIM card with my mom's phone number?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
New SIM card.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I've upgraded my HTC Incredible 2 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 - I want to upgrade my mom's basic phone to my old HTC. Will I need a new SIM card or can I activate the existing SIM card with my mom's phone number?

The Incredible 2 is a 3G phone so the sim is for global roaming only. All you need to do is an ESN change on your mom's line to the Incredible 2 and then dial *228.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol