Costco.com has Verizon SG3 blue/white 16/32 Available with Rebate

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if people already knew this. But thier wireless website allows even non Costco members to order. The GS3 16gb is 199.99 plus there's a $25 rebate along with a Bluetooth headset, an accessory pack and they charge tax only on the amount of 199.99 unlike Verizon which charges tax on full retail price.

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Costco.com has Verizon SG3 blue/white 16/32 Available with Re

That's how I ordered mine. I don't know if people can keep unlimited data through them, but I added a line to my family plan to order it, so I don't care anyway.

droidtime

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Going the Costco route seems risky for those of you trying to lock in unlimited data. Might just be better to go w/ Big Red to avoid any potential headaches. If you're only trying to save money and not lock in unlimited data, it's probably best to wait until the phone is released. I'm sure Amazon Wireless / Wirefly will have the phone on their sites day 1 for cheaper.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I ordered from Costco and have been told by Verizon and Costco that I would keep unlimited. The 90 day exchange/ return policy is nice.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Anybody know if you can buy full retail from Costco. There does not appear to be that option on the website.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Dont know if people already knew this. But thier wireless website allows even non Costco members to order. The GS3 16gb is 199.99 plus there's a $25 rebate along with a Bluetooth headset, an accessory pack and they charge tax only on the amount of 199.99 unlike Verizon which charges tax on full retail price.

if you are in CA, then they should follow CA law. per their disclaimer:

In accordance with the tax laws in certain states and jurisdictions, including but not limited to California, the tax charged may be based on an amount higher than the retail price of the purchase. California sales tax is calculated in accordance with Sales and Use Tax Regulation 1585.
per 1585:

Cell Phones and Other Wireless Telecommunication Devices
Ever wonder why you are charged for sales tax on the full sales price of a cell phone when purchased at a discounted price, even when the phone is free? This fact sheet explains how tax applies to purchases of cell phones. The application of tax is the same for pagers and other wireless telecommunication devices.
When will tax be charged on the full sales price?
If you purchase a cell phone at a discount and also are required to purchase a service contract, you may be charged for tax on the full sales price of the phone, not the discounted price you paid. Even if the phone is free, you may still be charged for tax on what the phone’s sales price would have been without the service contract.
If you buy the phone by itself, without a service contract, you can be charged tax on the actual sales price charged by the retailer, the same as in most other purchases.
How is the tax determined?
When the sale of a phone is made together with a required service contract, it is called a “bundled” transaction. If a phone is sold by itself, the sale is called an “unbundled” transaction.
Bundled transaction
Most cell phones are sold at a discounted sales price, or given away at no cost. However, in order to receive the discount or free cell phone, the customer is required to purchase a service contract of greater than one month (typically one or two years) with a particular service provider. Regulation 1585, Cellular Telephones, Pagers, and Other Wireless Telecommunication Devices, describes these types of sales as bundled transactions.
Unbundled transaction
A retailer may sell a cell phone without the requirement that a customer purchase a service contract. These sales are unbundled transactions and the actual sales price charged by the retailer to the customer is referred to in Regulation 1585 as the “unbundled sales price.”
How tax applies
When the sale is a bundled transaction, the retailer must report and pay tax based on the unbundled sales price of the cell phone whether or not the price of the phone is itemized on the invoice. The retailer is allowed to collect tax from the customer based on the unbundled sales price, and then pay that amount to the state. The unbundled sales price is either
• The sales price the retailer typically charges for the cell phone without requiring the purchase
of a service contract, or
• The fair retail selling price (if the above cannot be established by the seller’s records).
Example
Excellent Cell Phones advertises a cell phone for $29.99 but requires you to activate the phone with
a specific service provider for a two-year contract period. The retailer typically sells this phone for
$179.99 without a service contract. The retailer is responsible for reporting and paying sales tax
based on the unbundled sales price of $179.99 (tax of $14.85 assuming an 8.25 % tax rate).
Even if Excellent Cell Phones offers the same cell phone for free, the tax would be the same, $14.85,
as it is based on the $179.99 unbundled sales price.
When the sale is an unbundled transaction, the retailer must report and pay tax based on the
actual sales price charged to the customer.
Are fees for activating the cell phone taxable?
Fees for one-time activation and charges for wireless service are generally not taxable.
For more information
If you have questions regarding how tax applies to bundled and unbundled sales of cell phones,
pagers, and other wireless telecommunication devices, please contact our Information Center at
800-400-7115.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub120.pdf

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

pre orders on verizon DID NOT charge on the full retail price.

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe it was only in California that they charges on full retail for tax since I'm in California.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Costco. com did not charge tax on full retail for me in California. Maybe it's because the company that does wireless for Costco is not based in California (Wireless Advocates)?

When I bought my rezound for $ 50 on upgrade back in November from costco(wireless advocates) , I was charged tax on full retail. Of course, things may have changed since then.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

anyone know if i upgrade a none unlimited line get the phone and then activate it on my unlimited line if that will work?

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I saved about $60 pre ordering through Costco after cancelling my verizon order for the 16gb version. Plus there is all the free accessories. The manager of the phone kiosk claims it should be released the 28th.

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I saved about $60 pre ordering through Costco after cancelling my verizon order for the 16gb version. Plus there is all the free accessories. The manager of the phone kiosk claims it should be released the 28th.

Still, I'm not getting my hopes up, I'll expect it on the 9-10th.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What is costcos exchange policy? I'm considering cancelling my preorder and order from costco instead so I can exchange it if I don't like it

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

yes it will. The upgrade will still come from the original line. I am doing this as well.

cool I didn't know if they did it like amazon does it where you need to keep it on that line. I wonder how returns work when you swapped the line like that also

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

cool I didn't know if they did it like amazon does it where you need to keep it on that line. I wonder how returns work when you swapped the line like that also

I'm pretty sure its not like Amazon where they hit you with an etf if you switch the phone to a different line. And the return/exchange should just be for the phone itself, though to be safe you could always reactivate it on the line you bought the phone on before taking it in.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

What is costcos exchange policy? I'm considering cancelling my preorder and order from costco instead so I can exchange it if I don't like it

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

Per the phone rep, you still have only 14 days to exchange it for a different model. You have up to 90 days to exchange it for the same model...in case you have problems with it.

That's the only person I've asked about this specifically. Was hoping it was 90 days to change to a different model but guess not.

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Per the phone rep, you still have only 14 days to exchange it for a different model. You have up to 90 days to exchange it for the same model...in case you have problems with it.

That's the only person I've asked about this specifically. Was hoping it was 90 days to change to a different model but guess not.

Per Costco.com (Wireless Advocate) FAQ:

"Returns, Cancellations and Exchanges
If I do not like my phone, can I exchange my phone for another phone?

To exchange your purchase, please contact our Customer Service team. Please do not bring your purchase to a Costco warehouse. Costco.com's exchange policy for cellular phones is 90 days from date of purchase. During the exchange process you will be charged the full retail price for your replacement phone until we receive your original purchase back. Upon receipt and processing of your original device we will refund the full price of your replacement phone.
If I do not like my phone, can I return it?

Costco's return policy for any Wireless Advocates merchandise is 90 days from date of purchase. This includes all wireless accessories and handsets. Within 90 days you may receive a refund on the handset itself once it is received back into our distribution center. However, you will still be responsible for any applicable early termination fees if service is canceled after the Trial Period. The Trial Period varies by carrier and state. See carrier Cancellation Policy for details."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar