Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will Verizon's GS3 Have an Embedded SIM Card?

So, the Sprint GS3 has its SIM card embedded, according to the Engadget video review.

Obviously, this means you can't get to the SIM card at all.

Think Verizon's version will be the same?

Default Re: Will Verizon's GS3 Have an Embedded SIM Card?

I doubt it. But 'em if it does have an embedded SIM.

Edit: wow, the auto-censor is a bit much, no?

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Seems unlikely since all other Verizon LTE phones have used removable SIM cards. Plus, my pre-order indicated that a new SIM card was part of the order.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

No, sprint's lte is different they do not use sim cards that you can remove like verizon does.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    No, sprint's lte is different they do not use sim cards that you can remove like verizon does.
    Yet another sign of Sprint's strategy for success: Adopt a standard in a non-standard way.

Nope. This is likely why Verizon's will allow global roaming and Sprint's won't.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Glad to hear that it won't. Thanks for the all the info!

Remember, Verizon 3g phones don't require a sim card....
    Also probably cause sprint doesn't have a true LTE system up yet....

When I pre-ordered it asked if i wanted to keep the same sim card which I said yes. So I plan on taking mine out of my Maxx and putting it right into the S3 as soon as I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post
    When I pre-ordered it asked if i wanted to keep the same sim card which I said yes. So I plan on taking mine out of my Maxx and putting it right into the S3 as soon as I get it!
    Posted elsewhere in this forum I just read the S3 only works with the S3 sim card. It can't be used in another cell phone and the sim card from another phone will not work in the S3. Don't believe the reps.

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by DianeR View Post
    Posted elsewhere in this forum I just read the S3 only works with the S3 sim card. It can't be used in another cell phone and the sim card from another phone will not work in the S3. Don't believe the reps.
    Yea I don't see that happening its going to be the same sim that's in my g-nex or the razr or razr max dont know where u got it will have its own sim.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by buenos View Post
    Remember, Verizon 3g phones don't require a sim card....
    Also probably cause sprint doesn't have a true LTE system up yet....
    The 3g global phones do. Blackberry and a few of the Motorola Droids take Sim cards

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by afranko22 View Post
    The 3g global phones do. Blackberry and a few of the Motorola Droids take Sim cards

Correct, if im not mistaken, because its a global sim card, needed to work for different systems outside of thr US. One of my older 3G droid phones had one, cant remember which one it was....

Well older VZW phones with SIM slots had them specifically for international roaming, as stated, and you didn't need anything there. As LTE is a GSM standard, however, Verizon has elected to use SIM cards for all LTE devices, and used them for CDMA identity as well (likely following Japan's model of using uSIM's for their CDMA devices). Considering that, I see no reason to expect Verizon wouldn't do the same thing here, especially considering it will eventually support GSM roaming. As far as the SGS3 using a different SIM, I don't buy it. There are 2 SIM sizes used now, mini-SIM, which is being phased out, and micro-SIM, which all the newer LTE phones and most GSM phones are now using. For those of us who already have LTE microSIM's, I see no reason we should expect them not to work.

Sprint's LTE phones don't use SIM cards for the same reason Sprint is selling LTE phones without having announced when the LTE network will go live.

I didn't get that from the rep, it was asked when I pre-ordered online if i wanted to keep the old one or have a new one shipped. Also, the micro-sim card is now Verizon's standard. It has been on all phones since the Stratosphere. My Thunderbolt and Charge had the same standard MINI-SIM card and was able to move them between phones with no issues. Got the micro-sim when I got my Gnex and had no issues moving it to my MAXX.

I can't see that the S3 would have something different. Even the Ipad 4GLTE has a micro sim card slot.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeR View Post

My pre-order said my existing SIM that I've had in my Revolution & Bionic wasn't compatible and that a new one would be sent. Guess we'll see when they finally arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post

Both of those phones have MINI-SIM cards that is why they are sending a new one.

I referenced these links:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gal...an-bionic.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...d-rezound.html

Quote Originally Posted by gbb0131 View Post
    My pre-order said my existing SIM that I've had in my Revolution & Bionic wasn't compatible and that a new one would be sent. Guess we'll see when they finally arrive.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

So it doesn't have a standard SIM slot? I.e., if you do roam with it, you'll need to hack down a SIM in another country to get it to fit?

And if anyone is bored, could you try a t-mobile SIM? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    So it doesn't have a standard SIM slot? I.e., if you do roam with it, you'll need to hack down a SIM in another country to get it to fit?

And if anyone is bored, could you try a t-mobile SIM? :-)
    I have done that before when I worked at a major retailer. Verizon full sized Sim, when hacked down, will register the correct Sim numbers. I didn't have an unlocked phone or I would have tried Tmobile too.

Quote Originally Posted by gbb0131 View Post
    Verizon's newer phones use micro SIMs, like the Maxx and Nexus. Manufacturers are using them because they take up less physical space.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2