Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

cool, thanks bro! such a great phone, i'm hopeful there will be some in stock at my local store on thursday.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Just so you know, heavier things don't fall any faster than lighter things.
    But it does carry more momentum which = more force.
    d1ez3 and Droidbeyond like this.

Rec'd my Verizon S3 today.

Internal Mic is not working (voice recorder doesn't pick up voice, speakerphone mode doesn't "hear" voice, etc) Bluetooth headset works, so I surmise it is the internal mic only.

A search online indicates this might be a firmware issue and various "soft" fixes suggested (battery pull, hard reset, firmware update). I tried these except for the firmware update as I don't think this is something that can be done on VZW. I also tried a couple of application setting fixes all of which do not work.

The VZW technicians act as though this isn't an issue they are aware of and suggested an exchange. I will attempt this when the phones are in stock on July 12.

Other than this issue, I'm liking the phone. I have upgraded from the original Motorola Droid.

I just posted this on a thread comparing GNex to the S3. Thought others might be interested...

1) MUCH lighter and thinner. Easier on my hands despite me liking big phones.
    2) Screen space better laid out so more space for everything. Also love having 7 screens out of the box too so I don't have to install 3rd party like go launcher just to get my 7 screens up.
    3) Screen is nicer. Brighter and easier to read outside, even set to relatively low brightness (I had it set to 1/3 up on the sliding bar and could see great outdoors). Inside now at night it is just stunningly brilliant.
    4) Camera is MUCH better than my GNext in the dark. Flash is not blowing everything (like my poor dog) to white. While I have a 3rd party camera app, the stock app is quite nice and capable so far.
    5) MUCH louder ringtones and louder speakerphone. Thank goodness.
    6) Reception seems equal (equally poor, that is, at my house). I wasn't expecting an improvement but I am a little bummed that it is not better.
    7) Faster overall. Quicker to open apps, pics, zoom in and out of pix, start up games like Tiny Tower, etc.
    8) Nice touches with the double tap to scroll to the top. Still exploring the other motion triggered actions but prob won't be using them much.
    9) Setup was easy and trouble free. Activate SIM card BEFORE turning on phone to make sure it will work correctly. I also like having removable SD card again. Missed it on my GNex.
    10) Nicer keyboard and better "swype" type functions so far. Phone also just feels slicker. Can't explain except to say that it's a personal yummyness feeling when using the phone to do things.
    11) Love how the scroll down information bar has so many things you can adjust (like brightness, sound, GPS, Bluetooth, power saving, etc plus a shortcut to the settings button)
    12) Thank you to whomever put back the longpress on the home screen to add an icon or widget again. Never understood why it was removed on the GNex.
    13) Pretty minimal bloatware surprisingly. VCast, VZW Navigator, some video player, My Verizon, and Music Hub? That's about it. Will try to hide in a folder if that's possible...

Biggest thing: AMAZING BATTERY LIFE! Have been using it for 3 1/2 hours basically nonstop including phone calls, downloading apps, rearranging the screen icons, etc and the thing is still at 65% battery life. And I didn't bother to charge it all the way because I got impatient, only to about 80%. YIPEEEE. This is a huge one for me.
    geekaren and davidnc like this.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

WOOOOO I got mine! 16GB Blue.

Thoughts:

1) Samsung's box and packaging were nicely done. Fedex scuffed up the shipping box, and that made me wish that the Samsung box had been padded a little more. One air bag underneath, and nothing but paperwork and manuals up top.

2) The headphones don't suck! They aren't as good as my Shure in-ears, but they aren't bad for packaged phones. I've had them plugged into my Droid X since I opened the box about 40 minutes ago, and they aren't uncomfortable or falling out. I usually have a problem with in-ears working themselves out, and these haven't yet. I got all head-bangy too, just to check. Happy! I've been listening to OAR's Any Time Now album, which is a live recording. Bass is punchy, but not too much. The only negative I've noticed is that some of the higher frequencies are a little soft. But I don't notice it on every song, so it could really be the recording. YMMV.

3) The phone is NOT purple. The home button, under the light I originally took it out in, looked almost Barney-purple. And y'know what? It doesn't frickin' matter! I think that might be a side-effect of the silver band around the home button, actually. Because if I hold it under my desk lamp, it looks like the rest of the phone. Which, I repeat, does NOT look purple.

4) Fingerprints. Get used to 'em. I haven't even turned the thing on yet (gah! charge faster!) and it's somewhat covered. If you use pattern lock, people are gonna know your pattern. Keep it in mind.

5) It's light. It feels fragile, compared to my Droid X. I'll have to get used to that. DX was the first Android phone I had, and also a launch-day purchase. As I understand it, build quality is one of the things Moto excels at. I've never worried about breaking this thing, and the GS3 feels almost like you could snap it in half. I probably won't try

That's it for now. More once I actually turn this bad boy on!
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
    davidnc and d1ez3 like this.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    WOOOOO I got mine! 16GB Blue.

Thoughts:

5) It's light. It feels fragile, compared to my Droid X. I'll have to get used to that. DX was the first Android phone I had, and also a launch-day purchase. As I understand it, build quality is one of the things Moto excels at. I've never worried about breaking this thing, and the GS3 feels almost like you could snap it in half. I probably won't try

That's it for now. More once I actually turn this bad boy on!
    Here we go again with the phone feeling fragile because it is light. I will admit that I am a little cautious of the screen because of gorilla glass 2 that you used doesn't seem to be as strong as the original gorilla glass in the real world.

This phone feels solid. Only people who are used to carrying bricks ( HTC and Moto phones ) have this complaint. Try to bend, it i'm sure you can't, unless your really really trying to break the thing, then in that case, you will bend your droid x as well.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Just got it (white 32 GB) and I can't turn it on yet since the number getting the upgrade isn't mine, so I need to switch it at the Verizon store. So far it is charging while off, and looks awesome. So thin and light in person coming from a thunderbolt.

I really like the headphones, I'm happy that the play/pause button even works on my ipod while using pocketcasts, pretty sweet and they sound great to me. My Nuforce NE-700X's just broke for the second time, and these will make a good replacement I think.

Will update with impressions when I actually turn it on.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by s14tat View Post
    This phone feels solid. Only people who are used to carrying bricks ( HTC and Moto phones ) have this complaint. Try to bend, it i'm sure you can't, unless your really really trying to break the thing, then in that case, you will bend your droid x as well.
    After a little use, I have to agree. But I WAS using a Moto device and I know many droid x users are switching to this phone. It wasn't a complaint, just an initial observation and opinion. I have no complaints about this phone :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

Just so you know, heavier things don't fall any faster than lighter things.
    F = ma. The acceleration and terminal velocity won't be too dependent on the mass of the device, but it has a direct impact on the force, which was what I thought he was referring to.
    Give me enough time and I'll think of something clever...

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by rpz3.14 View Post
    F = ma. The acceleration and terminal velocity won't be too dependent on the mass of the device, but it has a direct impact on the force, which was what I thought he was referring to.

Yeah, I know force is really what's important when thinking of this situation, but I was really just replying to subscribe to the thread. My upgrade comes in 3 weeks and the SG3 is certainly my top choice.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

Yeah, I know force is really what's important when thinking of this situation, but I was really just replying to subscribe to the thread. My upgrade comes in 3 weeks and the SG3 is certainly my top choice.
    Completely fair - with my picking of nits, I neglected to add my review:

Aesthetics

The phone is really nice. After actually seeing the colors, though, I kind of wish I had gone with white. The blue isn't bad, but the finish on the button stands out a little and it is a little closer to purple than I'd like.

Screen

The screen's big and gorgeous. I had a Thunderbolt previously so I don't have a ton of screen size shock, but it is noticeably larger and sharper.

Hardware

It feels good in the hands, and is unbelievably light. I love the center button, but am not too happy with the power button placement. I still reach towards the top of the device instinctively (and have large enough hands to reach it) before I remember that it's not there. Then, I reach to the side and invariably also toggle the volume rocker. I have noticed that the phone gets kind of hot when the screen's been on for a while or the processor's been really active, but it's not too bad (not like the Thunderbolt, which doubled as a skillet...)

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage

I've had it 24 hours and I haven't made a call yet...

Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)

I am pleasantly surprised with the default launcher. I'm a big fan on infinite scroll, and the ability to hide apps in the drawer is really nice. I'm generally annoyed that it always makes a shortcut for newly installed application on the home screen, but it's easy to get rid of those. I'd prefer the app launcher button to be centered or movable, but overall, I haven't felt the need to install a replacement launcher.

I'm really bugged by the ongoing notification for wi-fi, and am supremely annoyed that the phone will ask you to connect to a known network if it finds it, regardless of what settings you have to the contrary (I have every option I can find checked off not to notify me about wifi networks, and it still pops up with "you are in range of a known network. Would you like to connect?", with the options of "Always connect", "Yes", and "remind me later". Ugh!)

I'm not a huge fan of the green for the battery and the active notification toggles, but it's not a deal breaker. Outside of these things, I love the overall configurability of the OS, though, and have had good luck with the face unlock and the smartstay. There are too many options really buried, however, which makes it a bit of a chore to find what you're looking for.

Widgets

I'm only using the weather/clock widget from Touchwiz (which has a pretty great transition from the lockscreen clock). Nothing else really appeals to me. I am a little surprised there isn't a contact widget, but it's not too big a deal for me.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)

It's a little better than my Thunderbolt based on 1 day's use, though nothing too drastically different.

Battery Life

It seems to be pretty good, but I'll need to run it for a few days to really get a feel for it.

Performance

Everything is really fast. I have had good luck with every game I've tried so far, and the launcher and transitions have been silky smooth.

Keyboard's

I don't mind the keyboard and much as others seem to (I usually run swype, but haven't needed to so far). The prediction isn't great, and I'd prefer to have a long hold go to punctuation instead of a shift function. It's still perfectly usable so far, though.

Camera (both still & video)

I want to turn off the camera sound, but haven't found that option yet. Otherwise, it's great. The shutter speed is fantastic.

How the Galaxy S3 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)

Better in every way (except for the lack of a kickstand). It's lighter, faster, has a nicer screen, and a better camera than the 'bolt. I think this will surprise no one, though.

Disappointments (if any)

I'm not a huge fan of the button layout. I hate the emphasis on wifi Verizon has put into the software. Other than that, it's a great phone.

The biggest synopsis for me is that I am on the fence about whether I will root this. On the 'Bolt and the DInc, it wasn't really a question, but stock feels good enough to me so far that it's at least a question again.
    Give me enough time and I'll think of something clever...
    davidnc likes this.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am pleasantly surprised with the default launcher. I'm a big fan on infinite scroll, and the ability to hide apps in the drawer is really nice. I'm generally annoyed that it always makes a shortcut for newly installed application on the home screen, but it's easy to get rid of those. I'd prefer the app launcher button to be centered or movable, but overall, I haven't felt the need to install a replacement launcher.

I think there is a setting in the google play store app to turn off adding the apps to your home page upon install. I had this issue with my wife's toshiba thrive and I found it after a while of looking. It must come pre-set that way in the play store.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    After a little use, I have to agree. But I WAS using a Moto device and I know many droid x users are switching to this phone. It wasn't a complaint, just an initial observation and opinion. I have no complaints about this phone :-)

I switched from a DX. Now when I look at the DX (to figure out where I had things on various screens) I think to myself "Was I really carrying this thing around?" I really like the feel of the S3 and it does feel extremely solid to me. It just doesn't feel like a Moto phone.
    4424 likes this.

Just got mine today. I'm coming from the original DInc.

I must say, the phone feels so light. I'm quite scared of dropping it. Build Quality still feels just as good as any other Android phone.

Touchwiz is not the greatest, but I'm used to it as I already have it on my Tab 10.1. I prefer Sense, but I'll get over it. I'm sure I'll try some launchers too. It's one thing I do like about Samsung, I can use third party launchers and not have features automatically turned off on my phone like Sense.

My one gripe is just Samsung lacks a unified feel for apps, widgets, etc.... I think they are getting closer though.

Now, not to be all negative, I really do love this phone so far. The screen is gorgeous. I turned the brightness down extremely low because I see no point in burning the battery and it still looks great. It's extremely fast, LTE speeds are great, camera is good, it's not Purple! Yadda yadda.

I think I'll be more than content with this for the next two years and will happily not need to hang around on news sites and forums knowing what is going on in the world of Android for a while.

As long as Samsung gets their act together and doesn't treat this phone like a red headed step child (as they seem to do with Tablets), I doubt I'll have many complaints.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Un-rooted

I've had my GSIII since Monday, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I like a physical home button ( I had the GNex and didn't like the software buttons ). This thing is fast and the signal strength is a bit better than the GNex which is a good thing for me.

Now the one gripe I have is with the menu & back buttons on both sides of the main home button. These two buttons are way too close to the corner edge of the phone.I keep hitting them by misstake.

Quote Originally Posted by spun2u View Post
    I've had my GSIII since Monday, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I like a physical home button ( I had the GNex and didn't like the software buttons ). This thing is fast and the signal strength is a bit better than the GNex which is a good thing for me.

Now the one gripe I have is with the menu & back buttons on both sides of the main home button. These two buttons are way too close to the corner edge of the phone.I keep hitting them by misstake.

Agreed about the home button. I can't stand on screen buttons. They are annoying. Not to mention, with the physical buttons, we won't have the annoying issues that the Gnex has with older apps. They've coded it well too in contrast to HTC.

As for the menu and back commands, I haven't personally had issues hitting them, but I wish they would stay lit up longer. I'll have to take a look in the settings and see if that is fixable.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    As for the menu and back commands [...] I wish they would stay lit up longer. I'll have to take a look in the settings and see if that is fixable.
    Settings, display, touch key light duration.

Thanked by 4:

Adding to my review:

1 day and 7 hours on the same battery charge so far! YIPEE. 4h 32 min of screen on time. WiFi on the whole time, BT toggled off when not in the car. Have 10% battery left.

VERY HAPPY about this!

Katherine
    Thanked by:
    4424 likes this.

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Aesthetics
    This phone is beautiful, I was a little hesitant at Sammy's build quality after handling the GNex but this phone is almost perfectly weighted(still light though) and fits very well in the hand with it's very curvy design. I have medium sized hands and I don't feel like it's too big for me even though the phone is big. I have the pebble blue version and the color is amazing. It's very dynamic based on the lighting you're in but it's not purple at all like many have said, if anything it's more of a greyish/steele blue. My one caveat, which many have pointed out, is the physical home button. Coming from the D2G, I'm just not used to actually clicking something to go to home, I'm used to the capacitive buttons. It's not a deal breaker but something that you need to get used to. Another thing is that it is quite the fingerprint magnet.
    Screen
    It's not the One X's SLCD2 but it is still a very nice display. This is my first SAMOLED screen and the colors really do pop, even if they are oversaturated sometimes. I may be really nitpicky or have just prepared myself to see it, but you can notice the pentile matrix hallmarks when looking closely at certain areas. Given the high resolution you really have to just stare at it to notice but when moving through screens and what not you can't notice it at all. This is not at all like the qHD motorola pentile displays. You will not be disappointed.
    Hardware
    Very solidly built, it is all plastice but everything is very sturdy(besides when you take off the back cover, but it should be on all the time anyways). The cover also uses samsung's hyperglaze technology...aka extra smooth finish...which makes the phone a little slippery and fingerprint prone but it's still nice to look at(the pebble blue). Weight wise it comes in at a tad heavier than the One X but given the slightly more compact design it's a very good weight, almost perfectly proportioned. The gorilla glass screen should be able to stand up to plenty of abuse and it's just so nice to look at when it's sitting there.
    •Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)
    Touchwiz is meh, it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but the icons and overall design of it and all of its nature-ness is pretty dated and toyish looking. You can definitely tell that ICS is running on it given certain aspects which do not have skins, but I suggest getting a third party launcher like Nova or Apex to get a nice stock look. I'm also not a fan of the lock screen with its ripple unlock and even when you disable that it's not a very smooth unlock. With the ripple and shortcuts disabled, it's like the stock ICS unlock but the little unlock circle appears anywhere on the unlock screen where you place your finger to drag and unlock. I wish it was just smoother, its obviously a software problem that's casuing lag with this, not the hardware.
    •Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
    I of course live in a random dead zone but I have good reception pretty much everywhere else. I can't really compare the GS3's reception to my D2G since gingerbread and ICS apparently measure signal strength differently but I haven't noticed and signal quality issues as of yet(samsung hasn't had the best radio track record though)
    Battery Life
    I have yet to see how long a full charge lasts me, but from what I've seen in my first day of having it, it's not amazing, and not horrible, its adequate. (Will update later)
    Performance
    Dual-core snapdragon S4, with 2gigs of ram, this thing flies. Coming from a 2010 phone, this thing is absolutely amazing as far as speed and performance goes. Performance will not be a problem for anyone.
    Keyboard's
    Samsung's stock keyboard sucks.
    The rear camera isn't as good as the One series, but it is much much better than that thing they put on the GNex. It can hold its own with the top smartphone cameras. I just briefly used the FF camera but at 1.9MP it's very good quality compared to the many VGA FF's that are out there.
    How the Galaxy S3 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
    Blows my old D2G out of the water(obviously). The only thing my D2G kinda has over this is the smaller size but I can get used to this.
    Disappointments (if any)
    Verizon making samsung encrypt the bootloader.
    Thanked by 2:
    geekaren, rion_j, davidnc and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    6,694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I want to turn off the camera sound, but haven't found that option yet. Otherwise, it's great. The shutter speed is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by pstellato73 View Post
    I think there is a setting in the google play store app to turn off adding the apps to your home page upon install.
    There is ,open play store >settings>auto add widgets ,untick that option.

As far as the camera sound I dont think you can turn the shutter sound off.
    Last edited by davidnc; 07-11-2012 at 05:41 AM.
    Thanked by:

My 32 GB Blue arrived yesterday. Here's my take so far:

Aesthetics & Hardware
    Positives:
    I am coming from a Thunderbolt (and prior to that an iPhone). In comparison this thing feels thin, light and fits in my pocket better. The blue case & home button have a purplish hue under some lighting, but it's not obnoxious. The build quality feels great.
    Negatives:
    The physical/mechanical home button really bugs me. It's responsive enough, but nowhere near as tappable as the capacitive menu and back buttons. This is the only non-fixable problem I can see with the phone so far. I'll miss my kickstand too.

Screen
    Positives:
    The screen looks great. Have seen reviewers say it's not bright enough... It's bright enough for me.
    Negatives
    The brightness auto-adjust hasn't worked (how I would like) on any phone I've seen/used and the S3 continues this trend. Removal of the color modes setting is also a slight negative. When the screen dims (when no inputs are received for a bit) it does so in choppy steps and is not a fluid dimming which is not really a negative but kind of odd.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
    I haven't used bluetooth yet but phone and speakerphone work great.

Positives:
    UI and touchwiz are decent enough.Overall I like it despite the negatives below. I'll probably give Nova Launcher Prime a try.
    Negatives:
    I miss the recent apps list on the info bar pulldown from Sense on the TB. I wish Verizon wouldn't have moved the wifi toggle switch. The ringtones and interaction sounds are pretty awful.
    I hate the popup: "Known wifi network is in range. Do you want to connect?" My wifi is off! Does this mean it's turning it on to check? WTF? Quit interrupting me! If I want wifi on I'll turn it on.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
    Getting slightly worse dBm's at the office compared to my Thunderbolt but it is ok. I'll need more time with it to come to a conclusion on signal. So far I'm happy enough.

GPS
    Locks on and is very accurate so far.

Battery Life
    Seems like it'll be pretty good. I'll need more time to come to a conclusion on this one. Way more adequate than my ol' Thunderbolt.

Performance
    I have not experienced lag on anything yet. So far I'm happy and can't really find any performance issues to complain about.

Media
    Movies stream great from my Plex server. The speaker volume is loud enough & comparable to my Thunderbolt's. So far so good.

Keyboard
    I installed Swiftkey right away.

Besides the shutter sound all seems great

I'm happy with the purchase so far. All my negatives (except for the physical home button) should be able to be tweaked away.
    rion_j and rpz3.14 like this.

Got my phone yesterday, 32 gig blue.Ordered on 7/5 got it 7/10. The phone looks more gray to me. Set up was easy. All contacts and apps restored everything up and running. The phone is great so far. Call quality is very good signal strength is good (-84db). Display is very nice, sharp and clear. Battery life is excelant so far, charged it all nite, been using it all day and still over 50 percent. My old Droid Charge would be dead or close to it by now. Touch Wiz is pretty good no real complants, works for me. Gps locks in fast and pretty acurate. The phone is thin and light so it fits in my pocket nicely, cant tell it there. This is my third Android phoneand by far the best. I liked my Droid Charge a lot but this GS3 blows it away.
    Thanked by:
    rion_j 

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews-uploadfromtaptalk1342062884826.jpg   Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews-uploadfromtaptalk1342062908627.jpg  
    npo

Quote Originally Posted by rion_j View Post
    Nice! Is the home button purple or closer to blue? Trying to decide on a color

With a dab of nail polish or car touch-up paint, the button can be any color you like.

Aesthetics-I like how it feels in the hand. Especially for the 4.8" screen size. One thing Samsung needs to learn is how to put a matte backing on their phones. This thing is slick. I don't know why they continue to do glossy phones, but just make sure you have a tight grip. It is much thinner than I thought it would be. I have had a GNex and Maxx and out of these three the GNex feels the best in hand. The Maxx is kind of wide and boxy but still not as slick as the SIII.

Screen: This is pretty easy. The SIII screen looks just like the GNex screen except that it might be one notch brighter. The Maxx is much brighter than both and is the best option on Verizon if you need to use your phone outdoors. Neither the GNex or the SIII do well in the sun. I don't use mine outside much so it is not a problem for me. Colors are good and blacks are black. The whites are not really white, but that is the problem with AMOLED displays. Touch response is great and is probably enhanced by the new Gorilla Glass that is thinner than the first rendition. Having the HD resolution makes a huge difference when watching videos and browsing the web.

Hardware-the hardware performs just as most of the first reviewers have said. It is fast with only a minor stutter here and there. Still much smoother than the Maxx, but not as smooth as the GNex running JellyBean. Once the SIII gets JB it will be more buttery than the GNex. Battery, MicroSD and SIM are easy to get to and fit securely. My battery cover does not fit seamlessly. It looks like based on the thinness of the device and the thickness of the plastic it is as good as it will get. The volume and power buttons are solid and perform as other Samsung devices. I am not a big fan of the hardware Home button. It functions properly, but it just makes me feel like it will fail or need to be replaced within a matter of months due to its high use. That remains to be seen.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage: As a phone I am pleasantly surprised in the performance of the SIII. I really didn't think it would be much better than my GNex but I was wrong. My dbm readings are slightly better than my Maxx in every level of my home, including the basement. I get a strong 4G signal everywhere in my house and average 25MBPS Upload and 12MBPS Download consistently. The call quality is excellent and bests both the GNex and the Maxx. The GNex is the worst, but I really didn't expect the SIII to perform better than my Maxx but it does. The only niggle has been pointed out in some reviews is that the incoming call volume when just using the handset is lower than I would like, but because the calls are so clear I can deal with it. Bluetooth performance is better both through my 2012 Nissan Maxima and my Sony BT75 headphones. The GNex and Maxx both did not give me clear calls with my Bluetooth Carkit. I am streaming Slacker radio in my car with the HTC Stereo Bluetooth Stick running Bluetooth version 4.0. Once again the SIII performs slightly better in loudness through my car stereo with no skipping. The Maxx actually provided more bass and better overall sound, but would constantly skip and stutter even after the ICS update that was supposed to fix Bluetooth. The GNex was too tinny and not much bass. The only issue I have is that the SIII can be finicky with connecting to the HTC Bluetooth Stick and I have to connect manually every time I get in the car, but once connected no issues. When listening to music directly from the phone with my Beats wired headphones or the Sony BT75's the volume with the SIII is several notches higher than the GNex and the Maxx. I can't listen to music at full volume and usually have it set at about 60%. This is great as Samsung phones always used to have really low media volume. I am not using any equalizer or volume boost apps, but Samsung should have built in some music affects for increasing the bass or other music settings like the Maxx. Even though I am excited at the media volume and quality on the SIII. The best on any smartphone to date.

Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz): I can't speak to TouchWiz because I immediately replaced it with Nova Prime Launcher and am very satisfied. While Samsung has done a great job with this version of TouchWiz compared to previous versions I just don't like the way they use folders and I like to have multiple docks at the bottom of my home screens. Most people will be just fine with TouchWiz and if Nova was not an option for me I would be ok with using TouchWiz.

Widgets: Once again I am not using TouchWiz so can't speak to the widgets built into TouchWiz. I will say that I am not a huge fan of the Nature Theme on this device. It would have been fine as an option but to make it 100% immersed with this theme was a bad decision by Samsung. I will add ringtones and wallpapers to replace the nature theme. That is what is awesome about Android!

Signal quality (Compared to other devices): I touched on this earlier but the bottom line is that where I live I am seeing better signal readings from my SIII than the GNex and Maxx. It is very close to the Maxx, almost neck and neck, but leaps and bounds better than the GNex. I have a hard time getting my phone to switch to 3G and consistently get over 20MBPS upload speeds on 4G and the WiFi antenna is similar. I have the top of the line broadband service from Cox and am maxing out the signal meter on Speedtest.net consistently. The Maxx is a close second and the GNex is a far third. The GNex would usually only get about 12MBPS on a WiFi connection which is less than half what I would get with the SIII and Maxx. This is another area that I was sure the SIII would let me down but I am really pleased with the performance. I have not had any dropped calls or mic cutouts like some experienced on their GNexs early on. I have even had signal drops on my Maxx, but I think that is a bug in the ICS update that Motorola is going to fix.

GPS: GPS is fast and locks my position within seconds and Google Navigation starts faster than my Maxx and GNex consistently. The Maxx is a close second and due to the long battery life makes it possibly a better solution for Navigation if you don't have access to power, not to mention Motorola does car docks and dock software the way every manufacturer should. I am very satisfied with the GPS function and street view looks incredible on the HD screen.

Social Networking: I can't really comment on this topic because I don't use Google+ and am a very light Facebook and Twitter user, but I will say that Flipboard is awesome on this phone. I am satisfied with the texting software and customization options, but then I only send about 200 texts per month so would not consider myself a texting expert. There are probably better text apps available but it is hard to beat the feature that lets you raise the phone to your ear while in a text to call that person.

Email/Calendar: Samsung really did a great job with their calendar app as it is very professional and not like the neon play school colors in some of their older devices. I like the boxed week view. I used to be a big Pocket Informant supporter just for that view. I am also satisfied with the email app as Samsung has now added the option to delete all emails or multiple emails at once instead of having to individually check each box in an email to delete it like Google does in Gmail. Cmon Google, wake up! One thing I miss about the Samsung email app in my old Epic Touch 4G when I was on Sprint was the Outlook landscape view and the black background. I love the black background on the Maxx with ICS and wish Samsung had stayed with that look. Not to mention it would have saved more battery life with the AMOLED display on the SIII. I will gladly let that slide now that I can delete all emails at once though.

Battery Life: This is another point that I didn't believe reviewers on before I got my SIII. All I can say is WOW! It certainly doesn't touch the Maxx, but I was using a 2100mAh battery in my GNex and the SIII could easily get at least 2-3 more hours per day under the same usage scenarios than my GNex. The reason I got the Maxx like so many others was to be able to make it through a day without having to carry around a spare battery. After the ICS for the Maxx the battery life really took a hit and I would feel just as comfortable taking my SIII out versus the Maxx. I have an extra battery and charger with my SIII and don't foresee needing to use it very often unless I am away from power. The one big advantage of a removable battery is that you aren't tied to a power source and even with the Maxx you are. There were many times that I was worried about running out of juice with my Maxx and being in a situation where I wish I had a fully charged spare that I could just slap in and be good for another day. I am a power user (9-16GB/month) and that is not much streaming video, but I use my hotspot feature a lot. I am very confident and satisfied with the battery life on the SIII. The other pleasant surprise is the standby time. I only lose about 3 to 4% over night whereas my Maxx and GNex would lose 10-18% over night.

Performance: Peformance is more than acceptable and will only improve with Jelly Bean. Apps open instantly and the fluidity moving between screens or web browsing is over the top. I would imagine from this point forward in the future of smartphones using Android we will not experience much lag with any make or model that is using at least a dual core Snapdragon processor and 1-2GB of RAM.

Media (music, movies, DLNA): As I stated above, this is the best media smartphone I have owned to date because of the higher volume and HD display. Watching HBOGO on this device is like watching a mini version of my iPad 3. I only stream music so can't comment on the built in Music player or its capabilities. I don't have a DLNA device either so can't comment on that.

Keyboard's: Like many other reviewers and posters many don't like the Samsung keyboard and I don't either. If you are a Swype user I am sure it is fine, but I don't and the regular keyboard while better than some of Samsung's previous keyboards just doesn't perform at an acceptable level. I immediately installed Swiftkey 3 and haven't looked back. Another awesome side affect of Android is that if you don't like a stock keyboard just download one from the Play store. The sensitivity of the display and size of the screen really allows Swiftkey to shine. I tried using Swiftkey on my Maxx but the screen was just too small and made the keyboard feel cramped. Typing on the SIII with Swiftkey is a pleasure and doesn't make me wish I had a tactile keyboard.

Camera (both still & video): As most reviews point out, the SIII camera is one of the best out right now. Right up there with the One X and the iPhone 4S. I can agree with all that has been said. It blows the GNex and Maxx Camera out of the water and the video sound is great. I still think Samsung could have put an even better camera in than they did, but it is acceptable and could easily replace a point and shoot outdoors in a pinch. I expect to see some 12MP higher end lenses in some of the newer smartphones by Christmas or next Summer. The great benefit of the SIII is that you can use a fast 64GB card and if you have a 32GB device have almost 100GB of storage which was unthinkable just a few years ago. If you are a photographer or social app picture snapper this is great news.

Disappointments (if any): I have a few minor complaints with the device but nothing that would prompt me to return it and wait for something else.

*No black background in Email app.

*Low incoming volume on calls.

*Glossy, slippery plastic construction. It will survive a drop better than most other devices but since Samsung is leading the pack they should start adding some premium materials to their devices to separate themselves from the rest.

*No text reflow in the web browser. This will hopefully be fixed in a future software update.

*No custom car dock. Samsung has decided to only sell a "universal car dock" for this device. Probably because they wanted something that customers could use while their SIII's were in one of Samsung's custom cases.

*Not great for viewing outdoors. I wish Samsung would at least crank up the brightness or "nits" on their AMOLED displays to offset the dullness. It is a tradeoff for better battery life and more saturated colors. I think that we are going to witness LG rise to the top of smartphone screens by this time next year. They are creating HD IPS displays that have up to 700 nits of brightness and they put the AMOLED displays to shame.

*Finicky Bluetooth connecting with some devices. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update.

*Hardware Home button. This was a stab at Apple but I wish that Samsung would have stayed with capacitive buttons. I see a lot of these buttons wearing out quickly with the hundreds of times per day that customers will have to press it. I also think it slows down some functions over a device like the GNex.

*WiFi toggle and persistent popup. I know this is really on Verizon, but why? It is only going to tick people off.

*Encrypted Bootloader. Once again, this is on Verizon and not Samsung but this three ring circus of letting customers know that there will be a "developer" version in a few months that you can pay full price for is BS. Not only that but Verizon had removed any warranty support on those devices. Unlike past devices where you could just unroot and put it back to stock, not so with the SIII. I understand Verizon not wanting to be responsible for bricked phones, but I bet that the percentage of phone returns from rooting is a very small percentage of their return overhead. Just another easy way to explain away removing a feature that every other carrier allows.

The bottom line is that after using and testing the SIII I can wholeheartedly recommend this device to anyone that meets certain criteria and believe that even though I never keep a smartphone for over a year I could probably keep this one that long providing I get updates that fix and bugs and don't create more. Good luck to all the new users and those on the fence. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by 2:
    Vondutch67 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast