Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

The purpose of this thread, is to hear members thoughts & opinions on how the Samsung Galaxy S3 stacks up amongst a suggested list of attributes:

• Aesthetics
  • Screen
  • Hardware
  • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
  • Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)
  • Widgets
  • Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
  • GPS
  • Social Networking
  • Email/Calendar
  • Battery Life
  • Performance
  • Media (music, movies, DLNA)
  • Keyboard's
  • Camera (both still & video)
  • How the Galaxy S3 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
  • Disappointments (if any)

Feel free to provide as little or as much detail as possible, while trying to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully this will help others who are considering the Galaxy S3, but would like to hear some user feedback first. Also, please do not review the Galaxy S3 prior to having one ;)

And if you read a review that you found helpful, please use the Thanks button to show them your appreciation!

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

Im surprised no one has posted yet! Well here goes nothing.

My first impression went somthing like this...WHOA HUGE SCREEN! My second thought was holy lightweight batman! Ive owned two other Android phones, those being the HTC Thunderbolt and HTC Rezound; and while I was happy with both those phones they were significantly heavier and just dense compared to the GS3.

I guess they these things really dont have to be that heavy lol.

-Aesthetic
Anyway the phone is attractive and thin, the white looks classy and the silver rim finishes it off quite nicely. The branding is subdued and the technical bits like the camera, mics, speaker, sensors and buttons follow the same design aesthetic. Overall Im very pleased with the look of the phone.

-Screen
Its big and beautiful. Its very sharp and I noticed no pixelation. This is my first AMOLED screen and that being said I find the colors far more saturated than what Im used to. On low brightness it appeared to have a blue or green bias. But I cranked up the brightness and that took the edge off. I would prefer it to have a whiter white but Its still very nice and bright enough for me.

-Interface
Touchwiz is fine but I dont really like the neon like colors they chose for their icons and other IU elements. I prefer somthing a little more toned down. Took me about five minutes to decide that the launcher had to go in favor of somthing like Nova.

-Performance
Its fast, faster than my Rezound when performing all manner of screen transitions. So suffice to say its smooth and I am impressed with its speed.

-Keyboard
I dont care for the design or function of the stock keyboard, the new Swiftkey will be loaded on momentarily.

Thats it for now!
GS3.png

Rfp5980

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Got my email today saying it shipped today. I will be back hopefully on monday with a full report. Can't wait to read about what all the lucky early birds have to say about there brand new toy...

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I think Nova Launcher is going to be my first purchase when I get my phone next week. Looks like a heck of an improvement over stock.

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

Im surprised no one has posted yet! Well here goes nothing.

My first impression went somthing like this...WHOA HUGE SCREEN! My second thought was holy lightweight batman! Ive owned two other Android phones, those being the HTC Thunderbolt and HTC Rezound; and while I was happy with both those phones they were significantly heavier and just dense compared to the GS3.

I guess they these things really dont have to be that heavy lol.

-Aesthetic
Anyway the phone is attractive and thin, the white looks classy and the silver rim finishes it off quite nicely. The branding is subdued and the technical bits like the camera, mics, speaker, sensors and buttons follow the same design aesthetic. Overall Im very pleased with the look of the phone.

-Screen
Its big and beautiful. Its very sharp and I noticed no pixelation. This is my first AMOLED screen and that being said I find the colors far more saturated than what Im used to. On low brightness it appeared to have a blue or green bias. But I cranked up the brightness and that took the edge off. I would prefer it to have a whiter white but Its still very nice and bright enough for me.

-Interface
Touchwiz is fine but I dont really like the neon like colors they chose for their icons and other IU elements. I prefer somthing a little more toned down. Took me about five minutes to decide that the launcher had to go in favor of somthing like Nova.

-Performance
Its fast, faster than my Rezound when performing all manner of screen transitions. So suffice to say its smooth and I am impressed with its speed.

-Keyboard
I dont care for the design or function of the stock keyboard, the new Swiftkey will be loaded on momentarily.

Thats it for now!
Click to view quoted image

Nice!
I really dont like the look of Touchwiz myself so I'll definitely go back to goLauncher and Touchpal.

I'll have to give Nova Try.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

cory, are you getting the S3? would like to see ur review if you do.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Had a Droid X and it was great. Had an Iphone 4 and it was greater and now the S3 seems to be better than the Ip4 by a whole lot. The camera is great. The ICS is just as fluid as IOS and the screen size is nice. The phone doesn't seem "big" at all. It just feels right. Put a Distronic case on it and an SGP nano shield on the face. It's nice moving from a 16GB phone to a 64 GB. ( 32 and a 32SD). The case covers most of the phone, so the blue color is not really a factor since the only thing I really see is the screen. Still using the stock stuff. Looks like a keeper.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Very good review-------> WhoMe

I doubt I can be as clear as you was but here goes in my own style ,LoL:D

I got the white 32gb model and the first thing I noticed taking it out of box was the lightness .I thought once I put the battery in the weight would change more but its still lighter then my Nexus.
I am used to big screens having had the Nexus since launch date last Dec.15,2011.
I did notice that the S3 screen is longer and also wider then the GN.

Aesthetic
As mentioned I got the white color model of the phone. I am happy with the white color looks nice ,thinks it looks sharp.I read where some didnt like that silver rim around the white model but I think it looks good.I like the placement of the camera,speaker,sensors.
The branding on the back isnt as bad as I thought ,anyhoo my Cruzerlite partially hides some of it ha.
Screen
The screen is nice and sharp. I have had amoled screens on 3 of the 4 android phones I owned.I havent noticed any pixelation either.I did notice a slight blueish tint as well its not bad to me and have left screen brightness on my normal brightness setting of about only 1/4 up on the brightness bar.Ya kinda get use to it ;) I havent noticed any screen flicker at all.
Hardware
I havent took many pictures just dont use it alot . The camera funtions as expected on picture quality though .As far as the home button it does taking getting use to a physical home button and the fact that even the soft keys,menu button and back buttton are fixed .I mentioned this because I was used to the softkeys of the GN,and being able to move them around.on a custom Rom.
Phone
The phone calls I have had on my S3 are great ,nice and clear and loud enough .I havent used the speaker volume just the headset speaker when talking .The ringtones are loud enough to be heard easy . I am not crazy about the default ringtones but that can be easily fixed :)
I have synced it with my car stereo no problems getting it to sync up
Overall User Interface
This is the first time I used TW and actually didnt think it was bad,but I have switched to a third party launcher.I went with NovaPrime since I was already using this and like the features/options it offers.
I do like the fact that you can change the default icons on the lockscreen homepage since I have found the need to do so.I havent noticed any lag.
Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
The signal quality is better then my GN as far as dBm's show but not as much as I thought it would be.I do get a decent signal with either device btw.It seems like the bars and the dBm's match up better, than they did on the GN.
GPS
My GPS using Maps and Navigation locks on quick is accurate.
Battery Life
Im diggin the battery life ,its better then I though it would be :) I am not using the power saver feature ,just dimed the screen to my preference and the rest is out of the box settings.
Performance
Its fast and smooth,havent noticed any lag
Keyboard's
The keyboard itself didnt suk so much as the word prediction does.
I went with Swype Beta that was easy enough to fix .:)

To sum it up I am happy with my S3 .I only had it 3 days at the time of this posting.It seems this was a great update to my original Incredible.

Aesopbx

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Aesthetic

I have 16gb pebble blue. really like the color it looks more black to me, but in the right light the blue comes through. The phone feels very light and nice in one hand. I had the impression that the physical button was going to be be more raised, but it is in line with the body which is nice. Shopping for a case today as this phone is a bit slippery.

Screen
Screen is really nice, bright, responsive. Google currents (one of my fav apps) looks great and text is sharp and easy to read. View angles are good too.

Hardware
My only real known against the phone, which many people have spoke to already is that this phone runs a little hot, at first I thought it was just the heat wave here in NYC, but this phone definitely gets up there in temp, haven't felt that on any previous samsung phones (ive had the fassy and charge)

Phone

Phone quality has been solid. Though the ear buds it comes with apparently have the echo chamber effect for some people I've spoke to.

Overall User Interface

I must say I came in with really low expectations for TW...and while I am now using the Holo Launcher, I didn't hate TW. I actually like it better than ADW.

Signal quality

So far really strong, I am going to venture out into the city to see how it does. Parts of my office building are full of phantom zones.

GPS

Lock was fast and accurate.

Battery Life

Putting it through its paces today. so far I have downloaded two movies, about 30 apps, streaming my music library and made two phone calls about 30 minutes each and i am not even at half. My fassy would be begging for juice by now.

Performance

Very smooth and responsive, only the slightest lag when I was trying to switch apps and screens as fast as possible.

Keyboard's

Samsungs faux swype is ok, going to take a look at swiftkey as well.

Overall I am very please with this phone.:)

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

got the pebby blue 32gb added the 64 gb for some reason, Out of the box, this thing is light, I dont equate that with cheap I equate it as easy to carry in shirt pocket or on belt and less mass to accelerate in a drop. Like the color, the home button is no big deal to me, have the verizon case belt holster untill the otterbox becomes available, the Verizon case is actually nice easy fit good clip and built in kickstand.
Compared to bionic battery life is good right now I am sitting at 57% in same time and situation as the Bionic was 30% or less most evenings.
Screen is more vibrant than the bionic which to me 50 plus eyes is welcome no issue with it being comic bookish or anything looks great, Bright sunlight makes it near to impossible to see but it does that to most so meh.
sound and volume seem on par if not a little louder than the bionic have not gotten all my ringtones reassigned yet but I can hear it fine.
launcher played around with the wiz for a day loaded nova launcher and went prime for a little more versatility, now if I could figure out how to change the gmail screen colors it would be better.
speed its fast, faster than bionic by a bit and on par if not faster than wifes maxx on ics, no issues with lag for what I do, not a gamer.
reception, dont see a real improvement over bionic my verizon signal at home is through a network extender and work is in a metal enviroment so sketchy at best, did not drop calls where I normally do on way to work though so it could be a little better dbm or whatever is still higher tha the maxx but she dropped a call in same area I sailed through sitting side by side in car.
is it the be to end all phone probably not but its the best I have had and am happy with the purchase.

Reactions: MERCDROID

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz is fine to me. I had vanilla ics and it blew.
Battery life is great. 8.5 hours of use and 3.5 hours of screen time.
Screen is awesome. Leaps and bounds better than razr. I don't like the low auto brightness so I'm using lux.
Ergonomics are better than the razr
I don't like Verizon adjusting the WiFi to bother the pass out of you so they can try to get you off their network.
Signal is a little weak. It still works well enough and I noticed a drop in usage and signal when even my razr got the official ics update. I'm wondering if it's ics or the global roaming they've just added.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Vondutch67

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Before I dive into the my review based on the provided criteria, let me just say that I have not had good luck with Samsung handsets (barring my most recent GNex...which is my second one).

Aesthetics

I was pleasantly surprised by the overall build-quality. All of the reviews I've read spoke of the "plasticky feel" of the phone, but after having it for a few days, I'm happy to report that it feels great. Compared to my older Droid Charge it feels much more solid, an impression that is no doubt enhanced by the slim metal band that surrounds the body of the phone. My most recent phone was the GNex, and while that had a more substantive "feel" to it, the GS3 (though thinner and lighter) compares quite well with it.

Screen

In a word: gorgeous. Sure, it's a little garish in its color-scheme (thanks to TouchWiz) but watching videos on it is a dream, icons and text are both crisp, and the daylight performance has been...acceptable. Overall I'm very pleased with the display.

Hardware

This is a a hard one to elaborate on after the first two questions. Suffice it to say that, yes, the back is made of a very thin plastic, but the overall finish of the phone sets, in my opinion at least, a new standard for Samsung.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage

I have not paired the phone with my Jeep's bluetooth system, so I can't speak to its performance in that space, however call quality has been great. I had a Rezound for 5 months (a phone with a generally well-regarded radio) and, so far, I have absolutely no complaints. The call-quality has been excellent, voices on my end have sounded very clear and I greatly appreciate that I can't hear myself in the earpiece. In summation: I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Overall User Interface

I was totally prepared to load either Apex or Nova on this phone but, I have to say, that this is the best implementation of TouchWiz I've ever used. So much so, in fact, that I have yet to load a new launcher on the phone. Also, kudos to Samsung on what, in my opinion at least, is the best calendar ever on a mobile device (I'm looking at you when I say this iOS).

Widgets

Meh...a widget is a widget. The calendar widget is nice, as for the other, supplied widgets, they're pretty standard fare. One thing that did catch my eye, conspicuous by its absence perhaps, was the lack of a good contacts widget. That did disappoint me, however, not enough to not recommend this phone to somebody.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)

Compared to either my Rezound or my Droid Razr the signal has been simply: good. My test for that is: do I get at least 3G in my garage (a notorious dead-spot). Droid Razr: 4 bars. HTC Rezound 3 bars. Galaxy Nexus: no bars. Galaxy S3? 1 bar...sometimes. However, it's far surpassed my previous Samsung device, the Droid Charge, in its performance in all situations. And for 4G it's been quite dependable in all areas that I frequent (excepting, of course, my garage). And yes, I know the GNex is a Samsung device, but for some reason I judge it on a different scale that I do my old Charge.

GPS

No issues so far.

Social Networking

I'm off the grid as far as social networking goes, so no comment here.

Email/Calendar

The email app is, by today's new standards, par for the course for ICS. The calendar however, and as mentioned above, is exceptional. It is truly both useful and highly enjoyable to use.
Battery Life

This is sure to be a hot-button topic as everyone uses their phones differently, however, I'm happy to report that I'm thrilled by/with the battery life I've seen so far. New phone, screwing around constantly, 4 texts, 10 emails, 6 phone calls and 3 hours of listening to an Audible book resulted in 65% battery life 13 hours after taking it out of its charger. That, in my humble opinion, f-ing rocks, especially when compared to my (2nd) GNex, even with its extended battery.

Performance

As noted by other people: this thing is fast. Really fast. I have absolutely no complaints regarding the overall performance of the phone, quite the opposite really. I've owned most every phone (of note) released on Verizon in the past three years and this thing blows them all away. Hands down.

Media (music, movies, DLNA)

Not sure how to answer this one, other than as it relates to the playback of media. Videos look gorgeous. Just last night I watched the first two episodes of Grimm, streamed from the Play store, and they looked, and sounded, amazing. For audio, both Audible and podcasts sound fantastic on this device. The headphone-out is very good and the speaker, even without tweaking, sounds great (and loud-ish).

Keyboard

And here we come to my first complaint: The keyboard is, for me at least, harder to type on accurately than my GNex. Also, the predictive text feature is absolutely draconian in its aggressiveness. I've tried to remedy this by loading an alternate keyboard, but the phone will not disengage it's "Samsung" keyboard. Clearly more testing is needed (by me) but so far: I'm not loving the keyboard as much as I'm loving almost every other aspect of this phone.

Camera (both still & video)

I haven't had the time to judge the quality of the pictures I've taken with the phone on any reference-caliber computer monitor, so I can't speak to the quality of the pictures, but I can add to what others have said: the camera itself is fast, really fast, and accurate. Also, the modes and features offered by the app itself are both great advancements over previous Samsung offerings and are welcome refinements/developments.

How the Galaxy S III compares to your previous smartphone

This is a very difficult question for me. I change phones every three, maybe four, months. My last phone was my second Galaxy Nexus and, in the short time that I spent with it, I really grew to love that phone (not so much my first GNex, which was a nightmare) so when the FedEx guy showed up it was a surprisingly bittersweet moment for me. Having said that however, I'm absolutely loving the SGS3. So much so that I'm trying (daily) to talk to my wife into my GNex :D Battery, UI speed, usability, god, just everything, is great. Despite having a very low expectation for all things Samsung, I'm really, really pleased.

Disappointments (if any)

Really the only disappoint I have is the keyboard and I realize that that is a very personal thing. I have big thumbs, and a strong will, so I'm not loving the key-spacing and overly aggressive auto-correct. Other than that, I love this phone.

In Conclusion

I miss my second GNex, I surely do, but I don't see myself going back: Battery life, signal strength, task manager, UI speed, camera, etc... have all won me over.

Last edited:

dt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

my first impressions... big... thin... light
bigger than my thunderbolt in its seidio case

initial usage impressions: unsatisfied
wifi had a lot of issues... connecting and disconnecting, unable to locate signal when im less than 20 feet from the router and my laptop showing full bars and strong connection
network strength is weaker than my thunderbolt by maybe 10 db... i was averaging high -80s to low -90s, while the SGS3 comes in around the low -100s, which is similar to what the htc one s (on tmobile) came in at
while loading in apps and stuff, there was quite a bit of lag, it's since smoothed out since ive been running fewer apps lately
there seems to be a small blotch on the screen thats only noticeable when its rendering a black screen during a video. when the pixels are on showing color, the blotch is gone, but its quite strange

all in all, getting used to it, dont mind the interface all that much

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Out of the box, this thing is light, I dont equate that with cheap I equate it as easy to carry in shirt pocket or on belt and less mass to accelerate in a drop.

Just so you know, heavier things don't fall any faster than lighter things.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1