Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

I was actually a little worried that it would have similar issues to the nexus but after getting my phone today and playing with it I have to say this is an awesome phone. Out of the box it is super fast with no lag( other than at first until I removed the double tap for s-voice). Battery life has been surprisingly good so far, downloaded and updated apps, been playing on it for a few hours and battery has held up very well. For signal I was really surprised as it held an lte signal in my basement where even my maxx would struggle and often times switch between lte and 3g. That isn't the case with the sgs3. I will test it out more tomorrow at work to see how it holds up( the building I work in is mostly marble so its a real signal killer especially in the basement. Overall am loving it and glad it does not have signal/data issue like my nexus did.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Just so you know, heavier things don't fall any faster than lighter things.

In a vacuum, yes.
In air, no.

I'm sure we've all seen the feather vs penny in a drop in/outside of a vacuum.
So heavier things will fall faster but in this case, it's pretty much negligible since the differences in weight aren't enough to determine how a phone will actually be damaged once it falls. Too many other variables..

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I got my phone today! :) It's a great phone but of course there's the constant wi-fi nagging (I can get used to that). The big negative for me that I noticed was that there doesn't seem to be a built-in car home app to use Google GPS with. When I plugged it into my new Infuse dock I got a choice of S-Voice or VZ Navigator. I am not going to speak all of my requests into the phone while I'm driving. I use built-in car bluetooth for my phone and do make calls while on the road. I want buttons to push like I had on my rooted Droid X. It's safer driving.
I found a great car home app in the Market for $1.99 that works great. It's called "Car Home Ultra" and does everything I want plus more! So I'm a happy camper now.

Just deciding if I am going to stay with Touchwiz or go to a different launcher. I'm considering using GO Launcher since I'm used to that from my Droid X but am also planning on looking into Apex or Nova at some point since I've heard good things about them as well.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with my Blue 32gb S3! :D :D :D

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone today! :) It's a great phone but of course there's the constant wi-fi nagging (I can get used to that). The big negative for me that I noticed was that there doesn't seem to be a built-in car home app to use Google GPS with. When I plugged it into my new Infuse dock I got a choice of S-Voice or VZ Navigator. I am not going to speak all of my requests into the phone while I'm driving. I use built-in car bluetooth for my phone and do make calls while on the road. I want buttons to push like I had on my rooted Droid X. It's safer driving.
I found a great car home app in the Market for $1.99 that works great. It's called "Car Home Ultra" and does everything I want plus more! So I'm a happy camper now.

Just deciding if I am going to stay with Touchwiz or go to a different launcher. I'm considering using GO Launcher since I'm used to that from my Droid X but am also planning on looking into Apex or Nova at some point since I've heard good things about them as well.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with my Blue 32gb S3! :D :D :D

Nice! Is the home button purple or closer to blue? Trying to decide on a color

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Nice! Is the home button purple or closer to blue? Trying to decide on a color
To me the phone is a bluish gray. The button is slightly more gray. I don't see purple at all but that could be my lighting here at home.

Reactions: rion_j

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

cool, thanks bro! such a great phone, i'm hopeful there will be some in stock at my local store on thursday.

bubbaprime

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Rec'd my Verizon S3 today.

Internal Mic is not working (voice recorder doesn't pick up voice, speakerphone mode doesn't "hear" voice, etc) Bluetooth headset works, so I surmise it is the internal mic only.

A search online indicates this might be a firmware issue and various "soft" fixes suggested (battery pull, hard reset, firmware update). I tried these except for the firmware update as I don't think this is something that can be done on VZW. I also tried a couple of application setting fixes all of which do not work.

The VZW technicians act as though this isn't an issue they are aware of and suggested an exchange. I will attempt this when the phones are in stock on July 12.

Other than this issue, I'm liking the phone. I have upgraded from the original Motorola Droid.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I just posted this on a thread comparing GNex to the S3. Thought others might be interested...

1) MUCH lighter and thinner. Easier on my hands despite me liking big phones.
2) Screen space better laid out so more space for everything. Also love having 7 screens out of the box too so I don't have to install 3rd party like go launcher just to get my 7 screens up.
3) Screen is nicer. Brighter and easier to read outside, even set to relatively low brightness (I had it set to 1/3 up on the sliding bar and could see great outdoors). Inside now at night it is just stunningly brilliant.
4) Camera is MUCH better than my GNext in the dark. Flash is not blowing everything (like my poor dog) to white. While I have a 3rd party camera app, the stock app is quite nice and capable so far.
5) MUCH louder ringtones and louder speakerphone. Thank goodness.
6) Reception seems equal (equally poor, that is, at my house). I wasn't expecting an improvement but I am a little bummed that it is not better.
7) Faster overall. Quicker to open apps, pics, zoom in and out of pix, start up games like Tiny Tower, etc.
8) Nice touches with the double tap to scroll to the top. Still exploring the other motion triggered actions but prob won't be using them much.
9) Setup was easy and trouble free. Activate SIM card BEFORE turning on phone to make sure it will work correctly. I also like having removable SD card again. Missed it on my GNex.
10) Nicer keyboard and better "swype" type functions so far. Phone also just feels slicker. Can't explain except to say that it's a personal yummyness feeling when using the phone to do things.
11) Love how the scroll down information bar has so many things you can adjust (like brightness, sound, GPS, Bluetooth, power saving, etc plus a shortcut to the settings button)
12) Thank you to whomever put back the longpress on the home screen to add an icon or widget again. Never understood why it was removed on the GNex.
13) Pretty minimal bloatware surprisingly. VCast, VZW Navigator, some video player, My Verizon, and Music Hub? That's about it. Will try to hide in a folder if that's possible...

Biggest thing: AMAZING BATTERY LIFE! Have been using it for 3 1/2 hours basically nonstop including phone calls, downloading apps, rearranging the screen icons, etc and the thing is still at 65% battery life. And I didn't bother to charge it all the way because I got impatient, only to about 80%. YIPEEEE. This is a huge one for me.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

WOOOOO I got mine! 16GB Blue.

Thoughts:

1) Samsung's box and packaging were nicely done. Fedex scuffed up the shipping box, and that made me wish that the Samsung box had been padded a little more. One air bag underneath, and nothing but paperwork and manuals up top.

2) The headphones don't suck! They aren't as good as my Shure in-ears, but they aren't bad for packaged phones. I've had them plugged into my Droid X since I opened the box about 40 minutes ago, and they aren't uncomfortable or falling out. I usually have a problem with in-ears working themselves out, and these haven't yet. I got all head-bangy too, just to check. Happy! I've been listening to OAR's Any Time Now album, which is a live recording. Bass is punchy, but not too much. The only negative I've noticed is that some of the higher frequencies are a little soft. But I don't notice it on every song, so it could really be the recording. YMMV.

3) The phone is NOT purple. The home button, under the light I originally took it out in, looked almost Barney-purple. And y'know what? It doesn't frickin' matter! I think that might be a side-effect of the silver band around the home button, actually. Because if I hold it under my desk lamp, it looks like the rest of the phone. Which, I repeat, does NOT look purple.

4) Fingerprints. Get used to 'em. I haven't even turned the thing on yet (gah! charge faster!) and it's somewhat covered. If you use pattern lock, people are gonna know your pattern. Keep it in mind.

5) It's light. It feels fragile, compared to my Droid X. I'll have to get used to that. DX was the first Android phone I had, and also a launch-day purchase. As I understand it, build quality is one of the things Moto excels at. I've never worried about breaking this thing, and the GS3 feels almost like you could snap it in half. I probably won't try ;)

That's it for now. More once I actually turn this bad boy on!

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

WOOOOO I got mine! 16GB Blue.

Thoughts:

5) It's light. It feels fragile, compared to my Droid X. I'll have to get used to that. DX was the first Android phone I had, and also a launch-day purchase. As I understand it, build quality is one of the things Moto excels at. I've never worried about breaking this thing, and the GS3 feels almost like you could snap it in half. I probably won't try ;)

That's it for now. More once I actually turn this bad boy on!

Here we go again with the phone feeling fragile because it is light. I will admit that I am a little cautious of the screen because of gorilla glass 2 that you used doesn't seem to be as strong as the original gorilla glass in the real world.

This phone feels solid. Only people who are used to carrying bricks ( HTC and Moto phones ) have this complaint. Try to bend, it i'm sure you can't, unless your really really trying to break the thing, then in that case, you will bend your droid x as well.

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Just got it (white 32 GB) and I can't turn it on yet since the number getting the upgrade isn't mine, so I need to switch it at the Verizon store. So far it is charging while off, and looks awesome. So thin and light in person coming from a thunderbolt.

I really like the headphones, I'm happy that the play/pause button even works on my ipod while using pocketcasts, pretty sweet and they sound great to me. My Nuforce NE-700X's just broke for the second time, and these will make a good replacement I think.

Will update with impressions when I actually turn it on.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This phone feels solid. Only people who are used to carrying bricks ( HTC and Moto phones ) have this complaint. Try to bend, it i'm sure you can't, unless your really really trying to break the thing, then in that case, you will bend your droid x as well.

After a little use, I have to agree. But I WAS using a Moto device and I know many droid x users are switching to this phone. It wasn't a complaint, just an initial observation and opinion. I have no complaints about this phone :)

Sent from my Galaxy S III via Tapatalk

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Just so you know, heavier things don't fall any faster than lighter things.

F = ma. The acceleration and terminal velocity won't be too dependent on the mass of the device, but it has a direct impact on the force, which was what I thought he was referring to.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

F = ma. The acceleration and terminal velocity won't be too dependent on the mass of the device, but it has a direct impact on the force, which was what I thought he was referring to.

Yeah, I know force is really what's important when thinking of this situation, but I was really just replying to subscribe to the thread. My upgrade comes in 3 weeks and the SG3 is certainly my top choice.

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I know force is really what's important when thinking of this situation, but I was really just replying to subscribe to the thread. My upgrade comes in 3 weeks and the SG3 is certainly my top choice.

Completely fair - with my picking of nits, I neglected to add my review:

Aesthetics

The phone is really nice. After actually seeing the colors, though, I kind of wish I had gone with white. The blue isn't bad, but the finish on the button stands out a little and it is a little closer to purple than I'd like.

Screen

The screen's big and gorgeous. I had a Thunderbolt previously so I don't have a ton of screen size shock, but it is noticeably larger and sharper.

Hardware

It feels good in the hands, and is unbelievably light. I love the center button, but am not too happy with the power button placement. I still reach towards the top of the device instinctively (and have large enough hands to reach it) before I remember that it's not there. Then, I reach to the side and invariably also toggle the volume rocker. I have noticed that the phone gets kind of hot when the screen's been on for a while or the processor's been really active, but it's not too bad (not like the Thunderbolt, which doubled as a skillet...)

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage

I've had it 24 hours and I haven't made a call yet...

Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)

I am pleasantly surprised with the default launcher. I'm a big fan on infinite scroll, and the ability to hide apps in the drawer is really nice. I'm generally annoyed that it always makes a shortcut for newly installed application on the home screen, but it's easy to get rid of those. I'd prefer the app launcher button to be centered or movable, but overall, I haven't felt the need to install a replacement launcher.

I'm really bugged by the ongoing notification for wi-fi, and am supremely annoyed that the phone will ask you to connect to a known network if it finds it, regardless of what settings you have to the contrary (I have every option I can find checked off not to notify me about wifi networks, and it still pops up with "you are in range of a known network. Would you like to connect?", with the options of "Always connect", "Yes", and "remind me later". Ugh!)

I'm not a huge fan of the green for the battery and the active notification toggles, but it's not a deal breaker. Outside of these things, I love the overall configurability of the OS, though, and have had good luck with the face unlock and the smartstay. There are too many options really buried, however, which makes it a bit of a chore to find what you're looking for.

Widgets

I'm only using the weather/clock widget from Touchwiz (which has a pretty great transition from the lockscreen clock). Nothing else really appeals to me. I am a little surprised there isn't a contact widget, but it's not too big a deal for me.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)

It's a little better than my Thunderbolt based on 1 day's use, though nothing too drastically different.

Battery Life

It seems to be pretty good, but I'll need to run it for a few days to really get a feel for it.

Performance

Everything is really fast. I have had good luck with every game I've tried so far, and the launcher and transitions have been silky smooth.

Keyboard's

I don't mind the keyboard and much as others seem to (I usually run swype, but haven't needed to so far). The prediction isn't great, and I'd prefer to have a long hold go to punctuation instead of a shift function. It's still perfectly usable so far, though.

Camera (both still & video)

I want to turn off the camera sound, but haven't found that option yet. Otherwise, it's great. The shutter speed is fantastic.

How the Galaxy S III compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)

Better in every way (except for the lack of a kickstand). It's lighter, faster, has a nicer screen, and a better camera than the 'bolt. I think this will surprise no one, though.

Disappointments (if any)

I'm not a huge fan of the button layout. I hate the emphasis on wifi Verizon has put into the software. Other than that, it's a great phone.

The biggest synopsis for me is that I am on the fence about whether I will root this. On the 'Bolt and the DInc, it wasn't really a question, but stock feels good enough to me so far that it's at least a question again.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I am pleasantly surprised with the default launcher. I'm a big fan on infinite scroll, and the ability to hide apps in the drawer is really nice. I'm generally annoyed that it always makes a shortcut for newly installed application on the home screen, but it's easy to get rid of those. I'd prefer the app launcher button to be centered or movable, but overall, I haven't felt the need to install a replacement launcher.

I think there is a setting in the google play store app to turn off adding the apps to your home page upon install. I had this issue with my wife's toshiba thrive and I found it after a while of looking. It must come pre-set that way in the play store.

Reactions: rpz3.14

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

After a little use, I have to agree. But I WAS using a Moto device and I know many droid x users are switching to this phone. It wasn't a complaint, just an initial observation and opinion. I have no complaints about this phone :)

Sent from my Galaxy S III via Tapatalk
I switched from a DX. Now when I look at the DX (to figure out where I had things on various screens) I think to myself "Was I really carrying this thing around?" I really like the feel of the S3 and it does feel extremely solid to me. It just doesn't feel like a Moto phone.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Just got mine today. I'm coming from the original DInc.

I must say, the phone feels so light. I'm quite scared of dropping it. Build Quality still feels just as good as any other Android phone. :p

Touchwiz is not the greatest, but I'm used to it as I already have it on my Tab 10.1. I prefer Sense, but I'll get over it. I'm sure I'll try some launchers too. It's one thing I do like about Samsung, I can use third party launchers and not have features automatically turned off on my phone like Sense.

My one gripe is just Samsung lacks a unified feel for apps, widgets, etc.... I think they are getting closer though.

Now, not to be all negative, I really do love this phone so far. The screen is gorgeous. I turned the brightness down extremely low because I see no point in burning the battery and it still looks great. It's extremely fast, LTE speeds are great, camera is good, it's not Purple! Yadda yadda.

I think I'll be more than content with this for the next two years and will happily not need to hang around on news sites and forums knowing what is going on in the world of Android for a while. :D

As long as Samsung gets their act together and doesn't treat this phone like a red headed step child (as they seem to do with Tablets), I doubt I'll have many complaints.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I've had my GSIII since Monday, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I like a physical home button ( I had the GNex and didn't like the software buttons ). This thing is fast and the signal strength is a bit better than the GNex which is a good thing for me.

Now the one gripe I have is with the menu & back buttons on both sides of the main home button. These two buttons are way too close to the corner edge of the phone.I keep hitting them by misstake. :eek: