Will Google Voice work on the VZW S3?

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The S3 will be my first Android phone and Google Voice (particularly the ability to read voicemails) is one of the features I'm looking forward to. Will Google Voice work on the Verizon S3? Anyone know how exactly it works?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Easy as pie. This setup used to be called voice lite, but what it sounds like you're looking for is a visual voicemail solution only. Download the app, during the setup select to never call using google voice, and complete the setup. If not given the option during setup you'll want to enable conditional call forwarding which only sends calls to VM when busy or no answer, open the dialer app on the phone and dial (for VzW i think its) *71 with your 10 digit GV number. Also if you werent prompted during the app setup, in the dialer hit menu, settings, and change the VM provider to google voice.

If done correctly, all voicemails will be handled through google voice and you can play them in any order, with text transcripts, from inside the GV app or via a computer browser.

ProvDev

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The S3 will be my first Android phone and Google Voice (particularly the ability to read voicemails) is one of the features I'm looking forward to. Will Google Voice work on the Verizon S3? Anyone know how exactly it works?

Yes Google Voice will work. I had it on my Dinc and currently on my GNex (works on all android phones).

Google Voice works great and eliminates the need to pay VZW for something that should be free.

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will work. It's a native Google app and so is Android. I would say that if it didn't, it might be like Excel not working with Windows. It's a great app and I strongly encourage using it instead of any carrier's visual voicemail. Very dependable, archive messages, and best of all - free.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it will work. It's a native Google app and so is Android. I would say that if it didn't, it might be like Excel not working with Windows. It's a great app and I strongly encourage using it instead of any carrier's visual voicemail. Very dependable, archive messages, and best of all - free.

This specific function is only available because/for carriers that allow conditional call forwarding. It's common for MVNOs like virgin, boost, etc to not allow this. For prepaid subscribers on MVNOs, Google voice lite is not an option and they'll need to go full integration :mad: .... stupid .... I know