US GS3 - No FM Radio

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
So I stumbled across someone in another forum saying that the US GS3 doesn't have an FM radio app, but the oversea's models do. Sure enough, I googled it and while there is nothing official out there, it is mentioned in a few other places. And not listed in an important place - the VZW features page of the GS3.

Not a huge deal, but I thought it had one until today. I also listen to a local morning show while at work using my Thunderbolt's FM radio. Guess I'll just have to get a stand-alone radio at Walmart or something.

My guess is that it wasn't included to "steer" customers into using some type of paid music app... Then again, maybe Samsung pitched it to the US carriers without FM to cut cost and improve $$$.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Definitely annoying. Had the same issue on a different device. The 1,000 other variants got FM and sprint users didnt.

This convo would be good in the general GS3 area though because it's not just VzW users that got hit with this one :(

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
With the various radio apps, I can't see it being much of an issue. My old Omnia with a FM radio couldn't pick anything up at my desk at work anyway.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The problem with streaming apps is, were talking about a company who is currently trying to reduce allotted data for their users. Kind of seems dick-ish anti-consumer to remove FM which doesnt use any data, forcing people to stream which uses data. Also, FM has a significantly lower power draw than streaming so people who listen for long period but cant always charge may greatly benefit from FM.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Never used it in my incredible. Always use iheartradio when i want a local station

Same here, I've never even used the FM radio on my current phone and have had it a year. The problem is the next 50 people who come here complaining because they do use FM, don't really give a flip about what me and you prefer lol.

Reactions: jroc

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem with streaming apps is, were talking about a company who is currently trying to reduce allotted data for their users. Kind of seems dick-ish anti-consumer to remove FM which doesnt use any data, forcing people to stream which uses data. Also, FM has a significantly lower power draw than streaming so people who listen for long period but cant always charge may greatly benefit from FM.
Exactly! Not a consumer friendly move.

Never any love for the AM... :(
haha! or Ham radios...

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure also that your local morning show us streaming thier program on the website. I'm sure you won't have a problem finding it to still listen to.

I never even tried it out on my Dinc ... Now I'm going to.

Off topic but have you guys tried pod casts? I like talk radio and I love pod casts now.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure also that your local morning show us streaming thier program on the website. I'm sure you won't have a problem finding it to still listen to.

I never even tried it out on my Dinc ... Now I'm going to.

Off topic but have you guys tried pod casts? I like talk radio and I love pod casts now.

If you enjoy podcasts and want to try different clients, stitcher is free in the play store and very cool.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that they did it on the international version since they already had the external i/o channels between the cpu and radio, so adding an FM unit in there was nothing. Possibly the radio unit already has FM support built in. For the US versions, there is no separate radio, as its all built in to the SoC. Most likely, the S4 does not contain FM, and with no other need for external i/o to radios, they didn't feel it was worth adding.

That's all purely speculation on my part, but if FM is not included I would imagine that's why. FM is a great extra to have, but only some people use it, and even fewer will truly miss it out of total devices sold. So no reason to add cost and complexity for such a minor thing, is my guess.

But still, it woulda been nice to have for sports radio. It's annoying to always have to dig around for which app will give me the info I want, or how to stream audio. Would be much easier just to tune in to the local station that has it on.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here, I've never even used the FM radio on my current phone and have had it a year. The problem is the next 50 people who come here complaining because they do use FM, don't really give a flip about what me and you prefer lol.

And on that note...lol:

An fm radio is on my wish list. I forgot about it when I got the RAZR. And I miss it. The tune in app doesn't get all my local stations anymore. The website used to, but that doesn't either.

I swear if a future phone I want doesn't have one... I don't what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

FlatTopFoley

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I liked that it was available to use on my Thunderbolt, but never used it because it uses the headphones as a antenna. Headphones that I never carry around with me. Most of the time I just use iHeartRadio. Works great considering all the local DC stations are clear channel owned anyway.

steven252000

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What is it with the US version? I mean we are already being made fun of by International users about our lack of the quad core and how theirs is better and faster. Then I keep hearing little things here and there that the Int.version has that ours doesn't. The FM radio being the latest. I also heard that our version does not have the video preview feature either. Why so many little neat features absent from our US version? Is there anything other than LTE that ours does that theirs (International) does not? I know these are little things but still they add up.