Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Apex vs nova launcher on the s3 because touchwiz sucks....

Nova all the way for me, I personally found TW to be to clunky for my liking.
    Nova runs very fast and smooth, I like the recent apps icon that I have put in my dock. Apex has that as well.

i personally love touchwiz over any of the other launchers i have tried since getting the s3. i had a sample of older touchwiz before the s3 and it sucked but on the s3 touchwiz is amazing

Samsung has not disabled access to voice search. Here are three ways to access Voice Search that you didn't mention:

1) Hold down the menu button from hone screen to activate voice search.
    2) Voice Search widget
    3) Google Search app placed on your home screen.

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

I have apex pro and this is what i notice on the s3. Nova will allow you to use samsung widgets like some of their clocks but not the weather clock. With Apex you have to be rooted in order to use those widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by timberga View Post
    Nova uses less battery life than apex from what I've seen.
    Have you verified this or is it just subjective?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Decided on nova...... no regrets now moving on to tackle other issues with the phone constant work in progress thank you all for weighing in.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Geek Mom

I'm using Nova and I like it, but is there any way to do any of the following:
    - make the labels on the icons larger
    - make the icons larger / use less space between icons
    - change the color of the icon text
    - have a text box background so the icon text isn't right on the background

I find it very hard to see some of the text with my middle aged eyes The last item, especially, makes it difficult if I use a background with any white in it anywhere. What do you do about that?

Or does Apex do any of the above?

I love this thread as I have been deciding the same thing, which launcher to use. Touchwiz isn't that bad at all on the SGS3 but I hate that it won't rotate the homescreen to landscape and I also really like the ability to customize my dock.

What I did notice last night as I was switching between Nova and Apex was that in both launchers I was having an issues with text messages and the app Chaos & Order. Basically if I was doing anything on the phone (mostly going through the settings customizing the launchers) and got a text, it would freeze my phone for around 10 seconds, then I would get a popup saying that Chaos & Order had to force close and at the same time the text message would come through. Then everything worked ok until I would get another one.

This happened to me no less than 10 times last night because I just so happened to get into a long texting conversation with someone which I don't usually do. So now I'm wondering if Chaos & Order doesn't work well with the launchers or if the launchers are a bit buggy? It's sad because I love playing that game and I had ZERO freezes or force closes in my first 4 days with the phone while I was using Touchwiz.

I've also noticed Apex and Nova are not near as smooth as Touchwiz. Sure they can be fast and I turned the animations completely off so everything would be as instant as possible but Touchwiz is still noticeably faster. This is kind of a "duh!" comment since we are talking about homescreen overlays but it's disappointing since one of the coolest things with this phone for me was it's the first android I've owned that everything was instant and perfectly smooth. Even smoother than the iPhone 4s I came from.

So I have Nova set up exactly how I want it with Metrostation Icons, black background (for power saving) and Pure Calendar widget but we'll see how I deal with the smoothness and if it actually does eat up too much battery. I would love to stick with Touchwiz but I really, really want to be able to go into landscape on the homescreen and alter the dock to make it look nicer.

inb4, "first world problems...." hehe

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I decided to give a launcher a try and went with Apex. Being able to stack my apps is awesome. Instead of having 5 pages of apps to scroll through, I have them all on one page, in 8 different groups. I'll never go back to using the stock UI.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Apex seems to crash on me several times a day, even did a complete wipe and it happens. I have my LCD density at 300 and use 5x5 grid

Do either Apex or Nova provide unread counts for Exchange? For some reason, both Sense and Touchwiz do, but I haven't found another launcher or widget that does.

Also, I played with Nova a bit. Is there any way to get back the big calendar widget that Touchwiz has (see attachment)? It's strange that I can get one of the calendar widgets but not the others (I thought these are just standard ICS widgets and not Touchwiz). But in Nova I only get the one that displays today's appointments.

yeah I could use Pure Grid, but I really like the look of the one that I get in Touchwiz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apex vs nova launcher on the s3 because touchwiz sucks....-uploadfromtaptalk1342654445314.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Do either Apex or Nova provide unread counts for Exchange? For some reason, both Sense and Touchwiz do, but I haven't found another launcher or widget that does.

Also, I played with Nova a bit. Is there any way to get back the big calendar widget that Touchwiz has (see attachment)? It's strange that I can get one of the calendar widgets but not the others (I thought these are just standard ICS widgets and not Touchwiz). But in Nova I only get the one that displays today's appointments.

yeah I could use Pure Grid, but I really like the look of the one that I get in Touchwiz.
    I also like the Touchwiz widget but it won't bring my tasks in from Astrid like Android Agenda widget does. So I use Android Agenda widget.

Question.
    Once I have nova as my default launcher, if I want to go back to TW, how would I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by socialillz View Post
    Question.
    Once I have nova as my default launcher, if I want to go back to TW, how would I do that?
    Settings -> Application Manager -> Nova -> Clear Defaults

Then press the home button and select TouchWiz when prompted which launcher to use.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I was also dissapointed to see that this Samsung widget didn't show up in my launcher (Apex)...

Question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentrix View Post
    Settings -> Application Manager -> Nova -> Clear Defaults

Then press the home button and select TouchWiz when prompted which launcher to use.
    Actually, if you're using Nova, you can just go to Menu -> Nova Settings and set "Default Home" back to Touchwiz. But the other way works too.

I tired both on my GS3, but Apex had issues with the Facebook ap for me. If you're in the ap and use the back button, the screen gets wonky. Once I removed Apex, everything was fine.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Wish Nova (not Prime) was able to rearrange apps in the app drawer instead of alphabetical by default. Something simple TW was able to do.

I went for Apex and love it (first time user of this). I could live with a lot on touchwiz, except not turning horizontally with phone.

Apex here and love it. Not sure about the comment about it not running smooth though mine runs perfectly smooth with no lag whatsoever

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy S3

Question.
    HomeSmack works well to go back and forth between launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by InkedAdrenaline View Post
    Apex here and love it. Not sure about the comment about it not running smooth though mine runs perfectly smooth with no lag whatsoever

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy S3
    Same here with Apex. No lag whatsoever.

Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

I know this is an older thread, but I have run Nova and somtimes Apex since I got the phone in July. I recently I switched back to Touchwiz and Ive found that Touchwiz is indeed the smoothest of the launchers when it comes to home screen and app drawer transition animation.

Now the differance is slight but it you watch closlely, even as fast as Nova is the animation still catches ever so slighty. No matter the tweak I cant get it to flow as effortlessly as the stock offering. Ill miss the icon customization and gestures but for me nothing beats that silky smooth operation that Touchwiz brings. Im hoping Jellybean's Project Butter optimizations allow for improvements in this with 3rd party Launcher performance....but untill that day Im running Touchwiz.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

For me TW, Apex, and Nova are all smooth. But I don't judge the launchers based on how smooth the transition is. There are little features among them all that are different. In the end, it's all preference. They do what they are supposed to do.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

i tried apex and nova for the first time on my gs3, coming from launcherpro on my old phone....I chose nova.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast