Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apex vs nova launcher on the s3 because touchwiz sucks....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Just preordered the galaxy s3 on Verizon and want to know which home screen replacement to use cause I can't do touchwiz

Default Re: Apex vs nova launcher on the s3 because touchwiz sucks....

I suggest you go for nova,although if you don't like it you can always go for apex.The choice is yours.And touchwiz is also not that bad on the s3
    Thanked by:

i recommend first try nova.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Thank me if you found my post helpful
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Are you sure that touch wiz is not that bad cause since I been on the galaxy nexus I really don't want to go back....and thank you I did find it helpful

I say go for apex launcher. Which I use in my gnex. Its smoother then Nova which was my previous launcher

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I probably will check out TW for awhile to see how it is.
    I also will probably at some point switch to Nova Prime ,that is what I am using on my GN.
    I used apex launcher but prefer nova.

Since I have GB still, I Cant even look at them in the market.

I use launcherpro now, and I am looking for a couple of the features before I pick between TW, Nova, or apex. Can someone help me out?

1. Scrollable dock
    2. Icon replacement
    3. Hide icon text
    4. Dock swipe actions.

Can anyone confirm those are present?

Sent from my DINC2: Electric Boogaloo

Don't know about apex but I am pretty sure all of that is available on Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Mastaking View Post
    Don't know about apex but I am pretty sure all of that is available on Nova

Is there a large difference in the two? I have read that apex seems more stable... But what is the benefit of nova for people that like it?

I would look this up on my own, but its not in market, and I am pulling 87/kbs per second on "3g" right now.... So, it would take me a year to pull up a Web Page.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prozak View Post

I use launcherpro now, and I am looking for a couple of the features before I pick between TW, Nova, or apex. Can someone help me out?

1. Scrollable dock
    2. Icon replacement
    3. Hide icon text
    4. Dock swipe actions.

I use Apex on my Fascinate running AOKP build 40. It can do all of these things. I most likely will try the new TW on the G3, but anticipate running Apex on there as well.
    Thanked by:
    Prozak 

I'm currently using GO Launcher on my Droid X. I will probably try Touchwiz initially so I learn it but am also anticipating using a launcher after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozak View Post

1. Scrollable dock
    2. Icon replacement
    3. Hide icon text
    4. Dock swipe actions.

ya apex does all that, plus you can put 1x1 widgets in the dock bar with pro. I used both and I prefer apex. It seems to run smoother, less redraws and faster response time

In endless polls on XDA (and here as well) Nova and Apex on average end up in a tie. Sometimes one wins, sometimes the other wins. But they both seem to have pretty even user bases.

Only way to know which is best for you is to try both and then compare.
    Thanked by:

I like them both, they're pretty much equal imho. I used Apex initially for AOKP on my Razr, but soon switched to Nova because it had a few more features earlier on. Switched back to try Apex when Nova was having some issues, and Apex now has the same features. From what I hear Nova is once again stable and smooth, but I have my Apex pretty well set up and simply haven't bothered to set it all up again on Nova.

Honestly I find it very difficult to tell the difference anymore. If you want to compare the two for yourself, just set them both up the same and keep your launcher default clear for a few days. You'll find pretty soon which one you end up using more often, and go with that. But you can't lose either way, imho.
    Thanked by:

The touchwiz launcher is quite good, actually. The rest of their customization is pretty bleh.

I'd like to point out that touchwiz on the S3 is not the awful thing that touchwiz on the S & S2 was. So give it a try and see how you like it first.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Un-rooted

I used the Nova launcher on my GNex and it ran smooth. I suggest trying the nova launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfission View Post
    I'd like to point out that touchwiz on the S3 is not the awful thing that touchwiz on the S & S2 was. So give it a try and see how you like it first.
    If I can hide icon labels, change icons, and have a scrollable dock in TW, I would consider it. I also dont care for the folder structure in TW

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

i read about some of the new features on tw that might interest me but now that JB has dropped i might forgo that all together and wait for someone to develop a stable rom for the s3 and go from there.......

This nonsense that TouchWiz doesn't rotate its home screen sucks. That alone is enough to get me to try an alternate launcher.
    Yeah, I'll try both and go from there.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

All I've known is Sense (Droid Incredible). Which launcher is similar if TouchWiz isn't liked?

Have you used the new touchwiz that is only on the sgs3 and not on any other samsung devices? Touchwiz isn't that bad. It actually adds some nice functionality to ICS.

2 things:

I thought I read somewhere that Nova had a significantly less drain on battery
    Can more than a person validate that?

And, crazy enough, I like them both but one feature I like is the google voice icon on Nova
    Google voice has gotten increasingly better and I use it, prolly will more than S voice on GS3

Is there a way to get that (Not Vlingo) almost identical app, icon that works like Google
    Text ? Search ? (web) Find ? (nearby)

Thanks and if so, Id probably go with Apex. I like the notifications that you have to get an app for on Nova, even tho it is not that hard

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I am in the exact same boat, trying to decide which to buy. I have already bought LP+ and ADW (Both are very outdated and not getting updated) so I am trying to decide which of these two to buy.

Here is the thing, Samsung wants to shove S-Voice down your throat and has disabled access to Voice Search directly. I am rooted on my Verizon GS3, and still can't find a way to directly add a shortcut to Voice Search. Even when you go to the market and look at Voice Search, you do not have the option to open the app, its not in the app tray, and you can not create a shortcut to it to put on your desktop.

Nova Launcher has a built in Voice Search shortcut in Nova actions, making it easy to add to the desktop and restoring Voice Search functionality to the SG3 w/o having to use SVoice as a front end. I am aware you can switch SVoice to use Voice Search (Google) instead of Samsung's Voice Search engine (Vlingo) but you still have to use Svoices front end which is bloated and slow.

I emailed the Apex team (screen shots, etc) and got a blown off response basically one sentence telling me to add the suggestion to their feature request website where people vote on if they want the option or not. Fk that, screw you. Its not a "feature" to have a shortcut to Voice Search built into your home replacement, its basic functionality. What, you cant take the time to send something other then a canned email reply? Thats ok, I will use something else.

When you hit the phones menu button in Apex it has a giant list of crap that comes up (Add, Wallpaper, Theme Settings, Manage Apps, Manage Screens, Apex Settings, System Settings, Lock Desktop, Help). Seriously? Do you need to shortcut all of that from the menu button? Am I going to be switching my desktop theme so much that that option should have an shortcut come up every time I hit menu; can't it just go under Apex Settings?

Nova has "Wallpaper" "Manage Apps" Nova Settings" and "System Settings". Nice and simple, just like it should be when you hit the menu button on your phone from the homepage. Being that you can drag an app icon and hover over the trash to uninstall, I would argue "Lock Desktop" would be far more valuable menu button shortcut then "Manage Apps", but at least its not a huge list of crap I don't need shortcutted from the menu button like in Apex. There is a Lock Desktop option but its buried in Nova settings instead.

Apex however has a cleaner settings menu, with what looks to be more setting options then Nova. I am only comparing free to free as I have yet to decide which paid version I want to buy, but at this point after getting blown off by Apex support, seeing the bloated Apex menu button, and Apex not having Voice Search support built in, I am probably going with Nova.

My personal opinion is Apex might be a little bit ahead of Nova but it seems like its starting to get bloated too which is why I no longer use "Go" products (Launcher, SMS, etc).
    Last edited by Thalinor; 07-08-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Nova uses less battery life than apex from what I've seen.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast