Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Re: How to turn off 4g

I really hope we get a way to turn off 4g soon. I get poor/spotty 4g here at work and like many of you above this is killing my battery

Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

This worked like a charm, can't wait to test out the battery life tomorrow with 3g only on all day.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    This will be a lifesaver for when we have spotty service. Thanks!

Enhanced High Rate Packet Data (eHRPD). eHRPD is an enhancement of 1xEV-DO (AKA HRPD) that enables LTE to CDMA handover.

Thus, your phone must be set to eHRPD mode in order for it to hand-down into 3G coverage when the 4G network is not available. Without eHRPD, your phone simply drops your data connection, and then starts searching for coverage within 3G. Ideally, with eHRPD your data packets are re-routed from the 4G network to the 3G network, and your phone is transferred to the 3G signal without interruption.

ie: both settings will result in your phone using LTE when available.

For what it's work, I just followed the instrunctions at the link provided by PJnc284 and my phone is now showing 3G, in an area where 4G coverage is very strong. I too am going to let this phone ride through a day on 3G only to see if how it affects battery life.
    --- TripSixes
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

If my experience with the Rezound is any guidance, turning off 4G should give about 30% better battery life. I typically keep my GS3 in 3G only mode until I run a download intense application (e.g. streaming video), and then manually activate 4G. Would love to see an app that senses the data usage, and switches on 4G only when needed, and swithches back. I'd be happy to pay for that. Or even a simple toggle that can be called by Tasker.

There is another option- and a minor cost- but there is an app you can get in the Playstore called Phone Info - 2 clicks and it is changed. works great
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts

There is another option- and a minor cost- but there is an app you can get in the Playstore called Phone Info - 2 clicks and it is changed. works great
    Does anyone no what the original setting was before turning 4G off? I need to switch and the LTE selection I've made takes away my phone calling capabilities. Everything else works but that, weird. So if someone can please tell me the original setting that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

my 3g/4g quit working all together.

VZ told me I needed to re install back to factory reset. this is after I got ICS on my Razr maxx.

I did reset back to factory default and my 3G was working but not my 4g.

I waited for days to see 4G and it never appeared. I rebooted my phone and 4G connected right away.

ROM
    Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by bgl321 View Post
    Does anyone no what the original setting was before turning 4G off? I need to switch and the LTE selection I've made takes away my phone calling capabilities. Everything else works but that, weird. So if someone can please tell me the original setting that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    LTE/CDMA/EvDO

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    bgl321 

Go to the play store and download an app called Phone Info. It is free and it turns out 4G without a hitch. Google it if you have questions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    bgl321 

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I use an app from play store called Phone Info. Once installed, click on device info and scroll down to the box below "set preferred network type:" Then scroll to CDMA auto (PRL). Click on it and you will be on 3g. If you want 4g just go back to LTE/CDMA/EvDo
    Works like a charm!!
    Thanked by 2:

I tried Phoneinfo because my LTE service is spotty. The problem was that all of a sudden the 'Roaming' notification came on! If I leave LTE on then it's ok, but I have to be careful where I place my phone as some areas are dead here. Kind of a PITA
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

What does eHRPD stand for and why is it important for LTE? | Everything LTE

EHRPD is what the phone reverts to when in a NON-LTE area, or one in which the signal is weaker than a strong 4G LTE area. It enables faster switching between LTE and CDMA than a straight LTE to CDMA handoff. At home I'm on a straight LTE network, but when I'm at work, it switches to EHRPD and I go from 4G to 3G a lot faster.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by TripSixes View Post
    Enhanced High Rate Packet Data (eHRPD). eHRPD is an enhancement of 1xEV-DO (AKA HRPD) that enables LTE to CDMA handover.

Thus, your phone must be set to eHRPD mode in order for it to hand-down into 3G coverage when the 4G network is not available. Without eHRPD, your phone simply drops your data connection, and then starts searching for coverage within 3G. Ideally, with eHRPD your data packets are re-routed from the 4G network to the 3G network, and your phone is transferred to the 3G signal without interruption.

ie: both settings will result in your phone using LTE when available.

For what it's work, I just followed the instrunctions at the link provided by PJnc284 and my phone is now showing 3G, in an area where 4G coverage is very strong. I too am going to let this phone ride through a day on 3G only to see if how it affects battery life.
    Oops...sorry dude...didn't mean to rewrite your answer...
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,198 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nufan4115 View Post
    I use an app from play store called Phone Info. Once installed, click on device info and scroll down to the box below "set preferred network type:" Then scroll to CDMA auto (PRL). Click on it and you will be on 3g. If you want 4g just go back to LTE/CDMA/EvDo
    Works like a charm!!
    I use Phone Info on my Droid Incredible 4G, and it works great.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Theres an app I use thats free in the app store called "Phone Info" and it basically gives you all the radio options you could ever want:
    CDMA auto
    CDMA only
    EvDo only
    LTE/CDMA/EvDo

the list goes on

How did you turn phone to 4 G.

I called Verizon about toggling 4GLTE On/Off. Here's what they said:
    on Razor Maxx go to SETTINGS >> then to NETWORK MODE>>then TURN OFF DATA ( This will turn off your 4G LTE Data)
    To use a local or home wifi SETTINGS>>>WIFI>>ON
    Then to toggle 4G LTGE On/Off, just go back to NETWORK MODE under SETTINGS and TURN DATA on by ENABLING it.

Hope that helps!

I called Verizon about toggling 4GLTE On/Off. Here's what they said:
    on Razor Maxx go to SETTINGS >> then to NETWORK MODE>>then TURN OFF DATA ( This will turn off your 4G LTE Data)
    To use a local or home wifi SETTINGS>>>WIFI>>ON
    Then to toggle 4G LTGE On/Off, just go back to NETWORK MODE under SETTINGS and TURN DATA on by ENABLING it.

Hope that Helps!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12